Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

27" 1440p 60hz IPS monitor recommendations?

Options
  • 02-04-2016 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭

I've decided to possibly complicate my cloned monitor WIDI +VR proposed setup from my other thread from a week or two ago.

Instead of two identical 23" 1080p monitors (One on desk and cloned to another beside my bed) I've decided I'd like a 27" 1440p for the desk.

I've been out of gaming for nearly a decade. Its VR that is pulling me back in. I'll likely do most of my gaming inside VR but I don't rule out the possibility that I might want to get back into some monitor gaming too; That said I'll never be a twitch gamer so high refresh rate monitors don't interest me. 60HZ is fine. I'm not editing photo's or anything like that either so super accurate colour panels don't interest me either.

So can you guys recommend some great value 27" 1440P IPS monitors....or....are economies of scale making 4K 27" IPS panels just as cheap these days? If so you can recommend me some 27-30" 4K IPS too.

One concern I have though is that Trying to clone the 27" 1440p desktop to a 1080P 23" at my bedside. Is that going to cause frustrating issues meaning I'd have to go into display adapter settings to change settings everytime I switch from one monitor to the other or will it not be an issue seeing as if one monitor is ON the other will likely be switched OFF. Remember this is not a dual monitor use case scenario. It'll be two different size and resolution monitors in different parts of the room connected to the one PC and only one monitor will be used at any given time.

I'll leave the WIDI out of this thread as it would only complicate matters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Same response over on OCN!

Is there no reasonably decent reasonably cheap 27" 1440p 60hz IPS panels?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

http://geizhals.eu/?cat=monlcd19wide&xf=1455_27~99_27~106_1~5137_2560x1440~6492_60#xf_top

Pick a brand name you are happy with at a price point you are happy with and google the model number for some reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The overclockable Qnix 2710 is still a great panel for the money. 27" 1440 IPS 100hz+. I have mine at 110hz.

Can't go wrong for €250-300 apart from having to ship it back to Korea if there is a problem. The higher frame rate is great even if you aren't a competitive gamer. Everything is noticeably smoother. You won't want to use your 1080p 60hz panel after it.

There should be no issue extending the desktop. Maybe an issue duplicating if the refresh is different. I have a secondary 1080p 60hz that works fine with extended desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Thanks guys. While I have been googling and filtering on the retailer sites. I didn't want to order x and then find out later that I could have gotten Y for less or should have waited till z came out. Asking the question in a forum gets you recommendations that meet your spec requirements but also gets you suggestions that might be different to what you asked but better in some way.

ie. You should buy this monitor
    Actualy he could buy this other brand that uses the same panel for less
    No, he should order this 4K for the same price
    No, heres why he should go for a 144hz panel even though he doesn't really game

etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's actually a Samsung PLS panel, pretty much the same as IPS though.

There's usually a bit of light bleed in the bottom center of these panels as well. You won't notice outside of black backgrounds though. Might annoy you if you pay €300 for one of them but where else can you get 1440p/110hz for that money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement