Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eight years ago, my life changed because of drugs. My story.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

armaghlad wrote: »
    I, or anyone else for that matter, doesn't need sarcasm when dealing with boyos like you ;)

Hmmm, it just might have something to do with them being the two drugs that cause the most deaths? I mean the figures don't lie, and they're both legal. Maybe you should readdress your approach to drugs, saying as you clearly have no problem with some drugs being legal and others not.
    You assumed I differentiated drugs, alcohol and fags where in fact, I don't.
    Yet you'll happily frequent pubs? Places that sell the one of the worst drugs. Do you not think that's slightly hypocritical?

We should go for a pint sometime. Club orange for you of course.

I don't take drugs, booze is enough for me. If you're insinuating something else however I'd ask you to carefully elaborate.

Talking through your hoop now lad. :)

Who said I happily frequent pubs? Only time I'd go to a pub would be for a match or a game of pool.

What do you think of the catholic church lad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Talking through your hoop now lad. :)

Who said I happily frequent pubs? Only time I'd go to a pub would be for a match or a game of pool.

What do you think of the catholic church lad?
    I suppose you go kicking and screaming...

armaghlad wrote: »
    I suppose you go kicking and screaming...

Ah. Not wanna answer lad? :)

Ah. Not wanna answer lad? :)
    I have no real opinion on the catholic church. That better Martin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Same thing can be said for drink drivers.

many things can be said about drink drivers

but non problematic drug use impinges nobody but the taker and their wallet(maybe their sleep)

there is no such thing as a non problematic drink driver they all run the risk of harming somebody.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 794 ✭✭✭TheHillOfDoom

However the problem is you never hear a positive news story about drugs,

I told you a positive news story about drugs. It was so good I was instantly addicted. Chawed the jaws off meself and couldn't wait to get more. THEN the **** hit the fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

The other issue with drugs (especially harder drugs like cocaine) is that people don't realize how close they are to some very dodgy people. Your friendly cocaine dealer may seem like the nicest guy in the world but if you mess up he will become a very different person or at least the people he has to answer to will if he tells them.

In my past I've seen some horrific things happen because I was in the vicinity of these sorts of people, persons at parties being knocked out and beaten to bloody pulps, machete attack, someone beaten with a tyre iron at a hotel and a user going into full blown pyschosis mood after 3 days awake and threatening everyone with a knife to 'stop talking about him behind his back'

Drugs are just nasty

While I am open to the idea of decriminalisation and regulation, I'd never advise anyone to try drugs apart from maybe cannabis which even then is completely overrated as a recreational drug (imo). Cocaine and ecstacy are cut with so much ****e nowadays I wouldn't touch the stuff, apart from being ripped off you'll probably not get the desired effects. Anything like heroin, meth etc is simply out of the question - all efforts should be made by authorities to remove these substances completely.

arayess wrote: »
    many things can be said about drink drivers

but non problematic drug use impinges nobody but the taker and their wallet(maybe their sleep)

there is no such thing as a non problematic drink driver they all run the risk of harming somebody.

Drugs is the same as alcohol. You can smash someones head open when off your head on either, you can cause fatal car crashes with either.

And then taking those drugs is fueling criminal activity where innocent people are killed.

• Advertisement

Drugs is the same as alcohol. You can smash someones head open when off your head on either, you can cause fatal car crashes with either..

On alcohol your inhibitions are lessened so you can smash open someone's head however at the end of the day you still have to have had the ability - no matter how small - to do that in the first place.

Ever seen someone during full blown cocaine induced psychosis? It doesn't matter who they are. They are turning violent and exceptionally violent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Rte 2 now ...how safe are my drugs..good programme, scary though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 teemxxts

There you go. The poster boy for idiots. The rest of us weren't so stupid. Have you learned your lesson? No your brain is fried. You were a fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

When I was younger, I was the funniest person in the room. I was successful, nailed uni and had a good job in a bank. I had a great personality.

I had three years of amazing times on acid while doing everything I needed to do. Then I had a mad night where I ended up taking some "legal" drugs and acid at the same time. Chaos, terror and tears ensued and my personality changed forever. I couldn't look at people for months.

I spent about six months trying to get my old personality back. Didn't work. So I left Ireland.
    I traveled around Asia. Didn't work. I could manage to be mad but not fun and nice.
    In the end, I decided to not go to Australia because I knew my head was screwed so I spent a few months more in Asia learning how to be social and make friends again. Which used to be so easy. It kind of worked.

Five or six years later, my personality is still a bit "off". I've never gotten back my interest in people. I have an amazing girlfriend and we have a great life but I miss the old me. I wish she could see and experience how much life and energy I had, and lost that night.

I'm fine. I can laugh. But the difference is black and white.

I feel so sorry for you..because it's clear that you want to change, you know you made a mistake and you are paying for it. Have you ever gone for counseling or psychiatric help? It might just be what you need? I know someone very close to me who has ruined their life from drugs also..they don't want help though and I believe will never come out of it or even survive that much longer. But when I hear of someone like you who wants to get back to normal and change and be a 'normal' person...then I really think that you can do this! I think you need outside help though. There are some amazing people around the country who help people like you. I know of one psychiatrist in particular in Dublin who is supposed to be A+ at his game in treating people like you. I can pm you details if you want. He isn't cheap but would you rather spend a few quid in the hope that he might actually help you get back on track?..It might be worth it. Honestly. I think you can get your life back. I can see the determination in you..even the fact that you posted here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I've taken illegal drugs many times in the past (not near as regular these days though, a few drinks does me lovely now), I'm neither proud nor ashamed of that but it's a fact and guess what, I enjoyed the experience on the vast majority of occasions. Nothing went wrong, didn't feel unwell, never harmed anybody or myself and on the few occasions I didn't enjoy the drugs, it was no big deal, it's exactly like going drinking when you're not really in the mood for it, just stop or sit it out and there shouldn't be a problem.

However the problem is you never hear a positive news story about drugs, we hear about tragic cases such as 'teen takes drugs and ends up in hospital' or even worse 'teen takes drugs and dies'. But they never report what happens the vast majority of times someone takes drugs = 'teen takes drugs and enjoys himself in largely uneventful night'.

When you exaggerate the dangers of drugs (and I'm certainly not saying they're all perfectly safe), then someone takes those drugs and enjoys themselves without any ill effects, they find out very quickly that they were lied to and as a result probably won't believe anything they were told about the dangers of drugs.

Keep it honest and balanced, don't be treating us all like complete idiots!

What about the ill effects in that buying drugs usually means your money ends up with some crime gangs where violence is the norm?..not to mention all sorts of other things associated with it. What about people who end up brain damaged from drug use? - it's like playing Russian routelle anytime you pop a pill or take whatever you are taking...in reality you can not be 100% sure of what you are taking or putting into your body. You have no idea how 'pure' the substance is, what it's mixed with etc. You are lucky in that you came out unscathed...but that's all it was...good luck on your behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

What about the ill effects in that buying drugs usually means your money ends up with some crime gangs where violence is the norm?..not to mention all sorts of other things associated with it.

This isn't ideal of course, I'd far rather my money goes to the state as it does when I buy alcohol, or when people buy tobacco (I've never been a tobacco smoker funny enough, can't stand the stuff). Now a lot of people don't want drugs legalized, ok fine I understand that, but then they also don't want money going to drug dealers (ie they want people to stop using drugs altogether), but the fact of the matter is we can't have it both ways. People WILL continue to takes drugs, legal or illegal, it's how we approach the situation that matters, personally I think legalisation (not of all drugs but certainly a fair few and decriminalisation for all drug users) and objective education are the way forward.
    What about people who end up brain damaged from drug use? - it's like playing Russian routelle anytime you pop a pill or take whatever you are taking...in reality you can not be 100% sure of what you are taking or putting into your body. You have no idea how 'pure' the substance is, what it's mixed with etc. You are lucky in that you came out unscathed...but that's all it was...good luck on your behalf.

Obviously cases of people being brain damaged are tragic and yes I suppose those of us who occasionally take drugs may consider ourselves a little lucky. But honestly how many recreational drug users actually end up doing serious damage, I'd imagine not too many considering the amount of casual users there are (I can't speak for hard users).

You mentioned pills, personally I tried pills once and didn't like them, so never took them again and I've never taken heroin or meth or anything like that. As a matter of interest have you ever taken any illegal drugs yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

What about the ill effects in that buying drugs usually means your money ends up with some crime gangs where violence is the norm?..not to mention all sorts of other things associated with it. What about people who end up brain damaged from drug use? - it's like playing Russian routelle anytime you pop a pill or take whatever you are taking...in reality you can not be 100% sure of what you are taking or putting into your body. You have no idea how 'pure' the substance is, what it's mixed with etc. You are lucky in that you came out unscathed...but that's all it was...good luck on your behalf.

If you don't consider getting in your car 'Russian roulette' then I don't know why you'd see getting brain damage from 'drugs' as such?

teemxxts wrote: »
    There you go. The poster boy for idiots. The rest of us weren't so stupid. Have you learned your lesson? No your brain is fried. You were a fool.

Judging from your nasty response to him it would appear that he is much more content in his life than you are.

If you don't consider getting in your car 'Russian roulette' then I don't know why you'd see getting brain damage from 'drugs' as such?

One is an essential act to go about life in a regulated industry.

The other is releasing chemicals into your body that changes how your brain works that funds criminal activity and the killing of innocent people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The other is releasing chemicals into your body that changes how your brain works that funds criminal activity and the killing of innocent people.

Woah that escalated quickly.

Don't forget it also causes natural disasters, ISIS and Hitler.

I'd imagine more people die in traffic accidents every year than people who die as a direct result of taking illegal drugs (possibly a lot more). You're far safer sitting in a room full of stoners than you are driving around in your car considering some of the lunatics behind the wheel!

• Advertisement

I'd imagine more people die in traffic accidents every year than people who die as a direct result of taking illegal drugs (possibly a lot more). You're far safer sitting in a room full of stoners than you are driving around in your car considering some of the lunatics behind the wheel!

:rolleyes:

Driving in a car is essential to survive, realistically, for a lot of people. And last I heard the car industry was regulated, had safety standards, car testing to ensure road worthyness, servicing and regulations for safe travelling.

The actual defence of druggies is incredible.

Driving in a car is essential to survive, realistically, for a lot of people. And last I heard the car industry was regulated, had safety standards, car testing to ensure road worthyness, servicing and regulations for safe travelling.

So once it's regulated it's safe? Cigarettes are regulated and they kill more people than any illegal drugs do!

But it's nice to see you're for regulation of drugs rather than prohibition ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

I cannot see the sense in taking any drug (alcohol included)

If you need to take something to change your reality, distract you, alter your mood, or really do anything to skew, change or blur your perception or thought process in any way whatsoever, then its not a drug you need..its a good hard look at what the hell makes you need to escape reality so bad..changing that is the solution...not distracting yourself from it

(Medically Prescribed Drugs are not included in the aforementioned)

Just my 2c...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

To some smoking a joint is as necessary as driving, . They seem to enjoy cycling etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

pone2012 wrote: »

If you need to take something to change your reality, distract you, alter your mood, or really do anything to skew, change or blur your perception or thought process in any way whatsoever, then its not a drug you need..its a good hard look at what the hell makes you need to escape reality so bad..changing that is the solution...not distracting yourself from it

Just my 2c...
    I wonder what it is about modern society that makes people want to sedate themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Just my 2c...

You could be describing reading a book, listening to music, watching TV with that kind of extreme logic there chief

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Unfortunately I believe it is. My brother is a doctor and warned me at the time that ecstasy burns the receptors (i.e the little connections that pass serotonin on). I feel lucky that I had a 'bad buzz', as the first time was so good as to be completely addictive.

Sorry but that's complete bullcrap, coming from a doctor or not.

Serotonin isn't even the 'happy' hormone as people make think, in fact SSRE's or selective serotinin uptake enhancers (versus inhibitors) are other drugs that also work as anti-depressants. So something that cures depression reduces serotonin in the brain.
    Getting locked in bathroom with a broken door. It took ages for friends to kick it in. Then I was getting it back together when an angry as fuk guy arrived and had to be pulled away from me because he thought I was coming onto his girlfriend. I know I was just lying on my back with people sitting around.
    It was terrifying.. I've never felt terror like it. Earth shattering fear. I just can't express just how bad acid can make an emotion like that feel. It's why I was crying a few hours later.

I am not a doctor, nor a psychiatrist, but I do have a research interest in these things. Did you ever consider that you are suffering from PTSD from that night? The good news about that it's less like you permanently messed yourself up and more like a pattern established in your brain in how you react to things. There's even new treatments being researched like using beta-blockers to reverse triggering mechanisms. Check out this article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/02/ending-the-nightmares-how-drug-treatment-could-finally-stop-ptsd/252079/
    arayess wrote: »
    having taken drugs for over 20 years I think the legal highs from the headshops were the worst drugs ever.
    took them once and never again.

many of my peers agree - they are the spawn of satan.

Agree 1000 times, I had known of people around that time who never had a bad experience having kidney problems after taking those. They were total untested muck.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

melissak wrote: »
    I wonder what it is about modern society that makes people want to sedate themselves?

Eh, people have been taking drugs far back into pre-history, it's not a new phenomenon.

melissak wrote: »

Because modern society is, in many cases still discovering new realms of stupidity
    buried wrote: »
    You could be describing reading a book, listening to music, watching TV with that kind of extreme logic there chief

Perhaps, but I think you missed the point...these things you've mentioned are all a form of entertainment...

I cannot imagine you'd classify drugs as entertainment ?

I cannot imagine you'd classify drugs as entertainment ?

You don't know that drugs are classified or sold as entertainment? You think alcohol is advertised and sold as being unentertaining so?

• Advertisement

You don't know that drugs are classified or sold as entertainment? You think alcohol is advertised and sold as being unentertaining so?

Id classify drugs, alcohol etc as substances, not entertainment...

Id imagine most people, who can look at things objectively would also view them in the same light

Id imagine most people, who can look at things objectively would also view them in the same light

It matters not what you yourself may classify them as pone, the fact is this, these substances are advertised as entertainment by mainstream media. Media which is watched by billions. Heineken doesn't advertise its product as some grim solvent depressant substance in the ad breaks during Champion's league matches, its advertised as part of the entertainment

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

'Substance' is about as generic a term as you could use. Of course drugs are a form of entertainment (when used properly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just my 2c...
    Tea or coffee?

Just a cup of hot water, thanks.

Not your ornery onager

It matters not what you yourself may classify them as pone, the fact is this, these substances are advertised as entertainment by mainstream media. Media which is watched by billions. Heineken doesn't advertise its product as some grim solvent depressant substance in the ad breaks during Champion's league matches, its advertised as part of the entertainment

And i just seen an advertisment that marketed coco pops as a healthy cereal for children..that does not make it so...it just means thats what its advertised as

'Substance' is about as generic a term as you could use. Of course drugs are a form of entertainment (when used properly)

Viewing them as such is exactly the problem IMO...
    Esel wrote: »
    Tea or coffee?

Just a cup of hot water, thanks.

Actually, if it's OK with you, ill just inhale the steam from the hot water, you can have the water back once its cooled....

Actually, if it's OK with you, ill just inhale the steam from the hot water, you can have the water back once its cooled....
    Steam of piss is better, apparently. Or is it the steam that comes off urinal cakes?

Banana skins don't work anyway...

Not your ornery onager

And i just seen an advertisment that marketed coco pops as a healthy cereal for children..that does not make it so...it just means thats what its advertised as

So you actually can see how the drug substance called alcohol is advertised and classified as entertainment to the majority of people on the planet, is that what your trying to say?

I take drugs fairly regularly. Any weekend I can get my hands on something that I like, that I can trust is pure, that makes my weekend more enjoyable and relieve the stress of the working week, then I'll take the stuff. And I run my own business, my intake of drugs doesn't hamper my work or business, it hasn't affected it for the last 18 years anyways. Paying various 'legitimate' racket rates and insurance costs to slimy shyster douchebags whose only F**king drug of choice is the drug of getting their greasy mitts on money for doing nothing, has done my business more harm than my "awful disgraceful" drug intake hobby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I've never taken acid, always been afraid of having a "bad trip". My cousin took it when she was about 14 and had to be airlifted to hospital. Don't what happened to her really. Bad batch I was told!

I know what you mean about the legal drugs. I took an awful lot of mdma in my late teens/early twenties. Never really had a bad effect on me unless I went on a 4 or 5 day bender (ugh the thoughts of that now!) and felt very depressed for a week or so after. Also caused me to lose lots of weight. However, I took that BZP sh*te a couple of times and genuinely thought I was going die after it. Ended up at a hospital tent at a festival from it and suffered anxiety for a good while afterwards. Think it's illegal now.

I also took bzp. I'm still on antidepressants and anti anxiety medication. If I had known how much I'd like it if have never taken it. It's a false happiness that nothing else can replicate. When I stopped taking it I fell into an addiction to codeine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

The same cell receptors that react to heroin and morphine also react to endorphins. So say you exercised a lot you might become addicted to the endorphin rush. Not that someone such as yourself would wish to alter his brain chemistry in any way. That would as you say suggest an underlying issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

In my experience most people who are anti drugs are people who have never tried drugs or people who were too careless or stupid to take drugs carefully and responsibly and as a result did lasting damage to themselves or ended up in prison. Believe it or not it is possible to experiment with most, not all, drugs safely. Like in most things, moderation is key.

MadYaker wrote: »
    In my experience most people who are anti drugs are people who have never tried drugs or people who were too careless or stupid to take drugs carefully and responsibly and as a result did lasting damage to themselves or ended up in prison. Believe it or not it is possible to experiment with most, not all, drugs safely. Like in most things, moderation is key.
    If by drugs you mean pharmaceutical quality substances, taken under medical supervision, you may have a point.

Otherwise, it's a crapshoot.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Someone I know had a very similiar issue, wonder if its the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Esel wrote: »
    If by drugs you mean pharmaceutical quality substances, taken under medical supervision, you may have a point.

Otherwise, it's a crapshoot.

So what have you taken and in what environment?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The same cell receptors that react to heroin and morphine also react to endorphins. So say you exercised a lot you might become addicted to the endorphin rush. Not that someone such as yourself would wish to alter his brain chemistry in any way. That would as you say suggest an underlying issue.

Apples and oranges

Your body doesn't need to ingest a mood altering foreign substance to give you an endorphin rush....

I like how you twisted my words though...

• Advertisement

So you actually can see how the drug substance called alcohol is advertised and classified as entertainment to the majority of people on the planet, is that what your trying to say?

There was never a point I didn't see it...what I said is just because they advertise a substance as such..does not make it so

There was never a point I didn't see it...what I said is just because they advertise a substance as such..does not make it so

You said you can't see how anybody could view drugs as entertainment yet millions, billions of euro's is spent on advertising drugs as entertainment. The point is this - Why do you think advertisement companies and the companies that sell and produce these drugs advertise their products this way? Its the demand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Anyone who has not gone on a trip with acid or some such psychoactive drugs cannot really understand the hit ones mental state can take. I was a bit of a mushroom man and acid freak in my late teens for a few years.

Describing a trip is really difficult because you are entering a different world, for me it was like being in a fairy tale, my whole perception of colours, space and time would change, my whole understanding of the physical world changed. You would see whole worlds emerge in a flower or in cloud and you could stare at it for hours, streets I walked down daily became fairytale wonder worlds where nothing was recognisable. I would see gorillas in trees and lions in the shadows, building would bend or disintegrate in billions of pieces in front of you. This was not just a feeling , it was real at the time, as real as anything that happens in everyday life. I would we able to reach out and touch the stars. I would look at a person and know if the were happy or sad and I could read people's minds and communicate telepathically. I would walk for miles across Dublin at night through an alien city full of demon and monsters or angles and fairies depending on my mood or the mood of those I met. Sometimes I couldn't speak or even cross a road because of the effects of the drugs. when you go on a trip you go through a door into an other world that is so different and strange that it is impossible to imagine, and every time you return to that place it is instantly recognisable the moment you pass into the trip world. Coming back(down) from trips sometimes took hours or even days and you got the feeling that you maybe were stuck in that dream or nightmare world forever.

I was lucky not to become a casualty of acid but the experiences I had were some of the best and most interesting things I have done. I have travelled many countries and places but a voyage through you own brain is the most interesting and most dangerous thing a person can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

hinault wrote: »
    I concur.

Taking drugs is a mugs game for several reasons.
    Not least is that society has to shoulder the cost of the fallout from people taking drugs.

If people choose to take drugs that's their business.
    Unfortunately the fallout from their taking drugs can destroy their relationships, increase crime levels, expend limited healthcare time and resources. These abusers should be left to deal with the consequences themselves.

Drugs abusers should be left to fend for themselves and incur the consequences of their delinquency. Society would be far better off without these delinquents.

Some of the greatest contributions to society have been made by people on drugs.

Dry ****e.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I did LSD a few times in my college years back in the 90s. It was an incredible experience and you can't really describe an acid trip to someone who's never done one. Most of my trips were great, but the come downs were edgy and my last trip turned into a nightmare.

But I'm still glad I tried it. But definitely not for everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement