Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My dog is driving me nuts!

• 02-04-2016 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has some advice...

I have a 3.5 year old dog who is driving me crazy. We got him just over 2 years ago from a rescue. He's had at least two homes in the past along with kennel stays and foster homes.

At first he was fine to sleep downstairs on his own but over time he's started barking during the night and he now sleeps in the bed with us. I don't like this but he will literally bark for hours if he's not allowed and we live in a semi-detached house and I'm extremely conscious of the neighbours.

He also barks everything there is a noise outside, everything someone walks past the house, if someone knocks on the door, when there is post in the letterbox etc etc.

He's not got great manners in general. I can barely hold him when I walk him. I've tried all manner of halti collars and harnesses to try to help but it's not improved much. He tries to climb on top of us when we eat. We don't feed him from our plates but it hasn't deterred him. The few times I've forgotten and left food on the table, he's jumped up and scoffed it!

He always seems very anxious when he's away from either of us. The minute I get a coat or put on shoes he starts pacing and jumping around and sometimes he shakes.

We exercise him as much as we can but I really struggle to hold him on the lead so I will be honest and say he doesn't has as much exercise as he should at the moment but he has had lots more in the past (recent months the exercise has decreased) but it didn't make a difference.

I'm at my wits end with him. He's constantly whining (he's a Staffie, my vet said whining is just something they do and ill have to put up with it). I love him to bits but there are days when I wish I'd never gotten him as he's completely taking over our lives. I can't even go to the toilet without him whining!!

Any help is really appreciated. The only thing I can't do is ignore the barking due to my neighbours and anything I've found online says that ignoring them is the way to go... I've tried those collars that spray him when he barks. He got a fright the first couple of times but it doesn't bother him any more now so I don't know what to try next.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Ur poor dog has been through a lot, & has had a lot of upheaval in his short life. Would you consider talking to a dog behaviourist / trainer? I fully recommend Emmeline Fallon Duffy, citizen canine Ireland. I have rescue dogs & her found her help & advice invaluable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sounds like you have a under socialized dog (not your fault; the main socialization is done as a pup) who's got separation anxiety and that you could use some help in forming an action plan to reduce it. Where do you live because I'd say the most likely best advice at this stage would be professional help (and due to the number of self proclaimed dog prophets who are nothing more than incompetent amateurs the regulars can help narrow down the list of suitable people for you).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lagertha

Hi both, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I did forget to mention that he was attacked by a larger dog before we got him. He can bark a lot when near some large dogs but with small dogs he stands there shaking while they sniff him, even puppies. He's never bitten another dog but he does bear his teeth sometimes (particularly old english sheepdogs or german shephards!) But mostly jusy wants to have a sniff.

He's never been aggressive towards people in any way and is like a big baby, he thinks he's a lapdog and will sit on me like a child when I'm watching TV.

I've very much been considering some professional help but I had a bad experience. I had booked him in a kennels for a couple of nights about 18 months ago and the guy that owned it was a dog trainer. I hadn't booked any training, just boarding, so hadn't looked into his qualifications but when the dog came back he was extremely well behaved and reserved for a couple of days. Turns out the guy is under investigation for animal cruelty and has had to shut the kennels and now I'm very scared of who I'm allowing near the dog. I'm UK based at the minute so probably won't have many actual recommendations but if anyone knows the type of qualifications I should be looking out for?

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Where abouts in the UK are you? You might be surprised at the knowledge base of some of the posters here. Someone may still be able to recommend someone or put you in contact with someone else who can.

That's a good point! I'm Manchester/Liverpool area :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jeepers op, you poor thing. And your poor dog too, he sounds like he's quite anxious... Not a problem of your making.
    We're all very familiar here with the fella you had a bad experience with... He's unqualified, uncertified, and has finally been found out.
    Happily, there are professional organisations in the UK that only allow membership to people who are appropriately and demonstrably qualified, and who embrace positive, research-led, dog-friendly training methods... Our neighbours in the UK are much better than we are at making sure their trainers are what they say they are!
    Here's a link to the most reputable and respected professional organisations, the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors (APBC) with a county-by-county list of members. All members are bound to a Code of Conduct which binds them to that all-important ethical approach to training, and often overlooked... They all have to be appropriately insured.
    http://www.apbc.org.uk/help/regions

Thank you so much for that. I'll have a look and hopefully get some help for him soon. I do feel bad for the poor fella, I know it's not his fault. It's just so frustrating and I know if I shout he probably thinks I'm joining in!

Thanks again

Advertisement