Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing mattresses

Options
  • 02-04-2016 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

How often should the landlord replace the mattresses in a rented house?
    We've been asked to replace the 18 month old mattress in our rental property.
    I've had the same mattress on my own bed for over 10 years so I'm thinking this is a bit much.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Why do they want it replaced?

My own mattress is 8 years old and perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When they're worn out or soiled beyond cleaning.

How long is the classic piece of string question, a fat bloke who spends a lot of time in bed will warp and wreck a mattress in no time at all. A 7 stone nothing marathon runner who sleeps six hours a night might get twenty years out of it.

As a landlord it's kind of up to you to figure out when the mattress needs replacing. Because the tenant would prefer one is not a good enough reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    How often should the landlord replace the mattresses in a rented house?
    We've been asked to replace the 18 month old mattress in our rental property.
    I've had the same mattress on my own bed for over 10 years so I'm thinking this is a bit much.

Tell the tenant you will have it removed so that they can buy their own mattress. But tell them they have to take it with them when they leave. If your one is genuinely in good condition they'll probably see sense and put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I requested that our landlord remove the beds so I could buy new ones of my own, and that was no problem with him. But unless there is something wrong with the beds (smell, wear, soiling, infestation, or they were cheap pieces of **** in the first place quite unlike your twenty-year marvel), then I agree 18 months is much too soon for you to have to bear the entire cost of replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 RebekahD

Is it a cheap mattress or a decent one ? I remember when I used to rent a place there was a mattress that I could feel every spring on.
    When I told the landlord he was furious, saying he only bought it the year before, and how it cost him a hundred euros !
    It was barely thicker than a futon mattress.
    He refused to move it when I bought my own,and no where to put it so ended up with a very high bed !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

I would say it's fair to replace mattresses every eight to ten years. I would replace my own mattress every ten years, or longer. I would probably replace my tenants' mattress every eight years, because the different sleeping position patterns of different successive tenants would probably wear it out a bit quicker.

I agree with you, OP, it is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dr_Kolossus

Wow. I'm a landlord. I replace the mattress for every new tenant. However only had 2 sets tenants ever. 4 year, and current ones here a year but indicate they want to stay indefinitely.

Guess if you have tenants changing every year, it could get expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It is all about the quality. A family member of mine bought some mattresses for a house with you light female students in it. He had to replace them after 9 months as they were knackered. He bought semi-orthopedic mattresses which lasted more than 10 years. In general, if someone is complaining, there is something wrong. The mattress is most likely of poor quality and the tenant wouldn't have complaint unless they noticed something wrong. It is not something to scrimp about. Buy a decent mattress or face having a pissed off tenant who will cause you a lot of trouble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

4ensic15 wrote: »
    the tenant wouldn't have complaint unless they noticed something wrong. It is not something to scrimp about. Buy a decent mattress or face having a pissed off tenant who will cause you a lot of trouble.

While I was renting I carried my bed and mattress through every property as there is no way any landlord would give me a mattress as good as the one I have. Nor would I expect them to after seeing the state of mattresses after my own tenants moved out.
    If my tenant wants a high spec item they can buy it and use iy themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Was the mattress new at the start of the current tenancy? If it was then I wouldn't be replacing it, unless there was a severe fault such as springs popping out - but who's to say the tenant didn't cause that?

We replace mattresses with every new tenancy, that way there's never an issue with old or soiled ones. We get the standard sprung mattress from IKEA, cheap and cheerful and never had a complaint about them, they've been in some tenancies for at least 4 or 5 years now.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/mattresses/mattresses-toppers/hafslo-sprung-mattress-firm-beige-art-00258052/

• Advertisement

Was the mattress new at the start of the current tenancy? If it was then I wouldn't be replacing it, unless there was a severe fault such as springs popping out - but who's to say the tenant didn't cause that?

We replace mattresses with every new tenancy, that way there's never an issue with old or soiled ones. We get the standard sprung mattress from IKEA, cheap and cheerful and never had a complaint about them, they've been in some tenancies for at least 4 or 5 years now.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/mattresses/mattresses-toppers/hafslo-sprung-mattress-firm-beige-art-00258052/

I'd be satisfied with that. New, clean, sturdy mattress, yay :) Too bad it costs as much as the mattress itself to ship it to Sligo, so perhaps not a good option for landlords in the Northwest.

If I had a van I'd probably start a shipping co-op to collect orders from Dublin and bring them here. Or maybe the co-op itself could invest in a suitable vehicle. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Speedwell wrote: »
    I'd be satisfied with that. New, clean, sturdy mattress, yay :) Too bad it costs as much as the mattress itself to ship it to Sligo, so perhaps not a good option for landlords in the Northwest.

If I had a van I'd probably start a shipping co-op to collect orders from Dublin and bring them here. Or maybe the co-op itself could invest in a suitable vehicle. Hmmm.

I live in Munster and came across a crowd on Facebook doing just that- collecting stuff in ikea and delivering it to people's homes. Fantastic idea! I'm sure it's only a matter of time before there's a van in every town doing the same thing

Yep, loads of man with van services do collections from Ikea, good thing about most of their mattresses too is that they're roll packed for ease of transportation. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Yep, loads of man with van services do collections from Ikea, good thing about most of their mattresses too is that they're roll packed for ease of transportation. :)

€120 flat fee delivery to Sligo using the in-house Ikea delivery service. Not great if you're only buying a single mattress but if you're getting a few bulky items it's hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

IMO there is no point buying expensive mattresses for tenants. They soil them pretty regularly, even if you ask them to use mattress protectors. I see why tenants give out about bad mattresses. But I don't see why a landlord should spend €200-300 on something that may have to be dumped within 1/2 years.

IMO if a tenant wants a quality, clean mattress. They should buy if themselves. My parents are landlords and the amount of mattresses student go through are insane. I remember 5 out of 6 new mattress were soiled one year and had to be replaced

Tenants dont see why landlords buy cheap mattresses. I know landlord who will pay 50% more for german appliances, as they last for ever. But still buy €80 mattresses as there is a high risk of them being destroyed by the tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

OP would you not buy yourself a new quality mattress?

That way you can take it with you when you move on, and you know exactly who has slept on it.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    OP would you not buy yourself a new quality mattress?

I get the impression the OP is the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Graham wrote: »
    I get the impression the OP is the landlord.

Oh, my mistake :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Are LL's eve obliged to provide mattresses? Would it depend on the lease?
    OP, did they say why they want a new one. If it's damaged or soiled fair enough, but if they're just little princesses then they can buy their own.

Are LL's eve obliged to provide mattresses? Would it depend on the lease?
    OP, did they say why they want a new one. If it's damaged or soiled fair enough, but if they're just little princesses then they can buy their own.

If you prefer to sleep on a mattress at home that has only been slept in by you, you are a "little princess". Good news for the used mattress industry, eh?

(Full disclosure: I am a "little princess" and I prefer to buy my own mattress rather than be forced to sleep in the previous tenant's soiled mess. And I check the mattress in hotels as well. So far no bedbugs.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

If you prefer to sleep on a mattress at home that has only been slept in by you, you are a "little princess". Good news for the used mattress industry, eh?

(Full disclosure: I am a "little princess" and I prefer to buy my own mattress rather than be forced to sleep in the previous tenant's soiled mess. And I check the mattress in hotels as well. So far no bedbugs.)

The used mattress industry?

Are all mattresses from previous tenants automatically soiled? I don't think I've soiled a mattress since I was about 5 years old.

Are all mattresses from previous tenants automatically soiled? I don't think I've soiled a mattress since I was about 5 years old.

There's no used mattress industry? Gosh, if used mattresses are always so desirable and in such good condition, surely there's a used mattress industry. For landlords, if for nobody else.

I wish you were the tenant who lived in this house before us, then. All of the beds in the place were soiled with a large splotch in the most suspect location, even the double bed, on both sides yet.

Mattresses are filthy yokes. Full of dead skin cells and dust mites. You sweat a lot into a mattress. I'm no clean freak but you spend a great deal of time sleeping semi clothed with only a sheet between you and a lot of bacteria. I've cleaned up after a lot of dirty tenants to know I wouldn't like to sleep on the same thing they did.

Mattresses are filthy yokes. Full of dead skin cells and dust mites. You sweat a lot into a mattress. I'm no clean freak but you spend a great deal of time sleeping semi clothed with only a sheet between you and a lot of bacteria. I've cleaned up after a lot of dirty tenants to know I wouldn't like to sleep on the same thing they did.

Do you sleep in a bio-hazard suit when you're on holiday or take your own mattress?

Graham wrote: »
    Do you sleep in a bio-hazard suit when you're on holiday or take your own mattress?

I'm a landlord, not a fussy tenant by the way.

I can sleep on a hotel mattress for a week or so, once it hasn't got bedbugs. Like I said, I'm not a clean freak. It's one thing spending a small amount of time on a hotel mattress, quite another to sleep every night on a cheap, badly sprung, barely covered, second hand mattress.

As I've stated, I've cleaned up after plenty of dirty tenants, who don't have housekeeping cleaning up after them every day, so an accumulation of dirt, skin cells, sweat, dust mites, stains, cigarette burns and smells in a mattress is not exactly what you would get in a hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I have just replaced mine after using it for a decade. Only reason i'm replacing is i have just got a bigger bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Replace them every 8 years (capital allowances), if they need replacing sooner because of them being soiled it would come out of the tenant's deposit (proportionally).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Replace them every 8 years (capital allowances), if they need replacing sooner because of them being soiled it would come out of the tenant's deposit (proportionally).

Lower end mattresses would not last even close to 8 years. High end might last 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Lower end mattresses would not last even close to 8 years. High end might last 20 years.

Obviously it goes without saying my tenants get the very middle the middle money can buy.

• Advertisement

Jeez, I don't even buy myself the high-end mattresses... just cheap and sturdy. Then I buy myself a nice thick 3-inch memory foam pad for on top. A mattress salesman friend once told me that was more or less equivalent to a high-end mattress anyway, and you can't replace a built-in pillow-top if "something happens". I even bought a 2-inch memory foam pad for my mother-in-law's hard-as-a-coffin-lid spare bed so I could get some sleep in it. You can find them for a reasonable amount of money if you hunt around (Ikea often has mattress toppers that are nice), and they can be taken from place to place if you are a short-term renter. Don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Advertisement