Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should you do if you can't make the rent?

Options
  • 02-04-2016 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi all

I am in sticky situation financially. I am 2 weeks overdue on my rent for my last months rental in an apartment and I don't know what I should do. The LL was patient and I told him I would do my best to get the money by this weekend but it just hasn't happened and i am still not receiving some payments that were due to me so am practically broke for now. He told me that I had until the end of the weekend to pay or vacate the property by Thursday afternoon and I don't know what to do because I just won't have the money on time. Please could someone help with any advice? Can I get kicked out onto the street for being 2 weeks late?

Thank you in advance for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

How long have you been living there? If more than 6 months then your landlord needs to serve you a 14 day warning notice for arrears first, if you then still haven't paid he can issue a 28 day notice of termination.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You need to pay every cent you can and look at moving on if this is going to be an ongoing affordability issue - however, the LLs notice to quit is entirely invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭regi3457

L1011 wrote: »
    You need to pay every cent you can and look at moving on if this is going to be an ongoing affordability issue - however, the LLs notice to quit is entirely invalid.

I know...I wish I could pay it but I just can't. I really feel bad about it as I hate owning someone money. I know I will get paid at the end of the month but he won't wait that long and anyway, he will have withheld my deposit by then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Where you trying to get out out of this place recently

miezekatze wrote: »
    How long have you been living there? If more than 6 months then your landlord needs to serve you a 14 day warning notice for arrears first, if you then still haven't paid he can issue a 28 day notice of termination.

Only 3 months

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Where you trying to get out out of this place recently

I am getting out of this place. I am moving in two weeks. This is my last month here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

regi3457 wrote: »
    I am getting out of this place. I am moving in two weeks. This is my last month here.

So you just don't want to pay your last months rent? Good luck with a reference, you're going to need one no matter where you go. Even in Portlaoise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tea_addict

regi3457 wrote: »
    I know...I wish I could pay it but I just can't. I really feel bad about it as I hate owning someone money. I know I will get paid at the end of the month but he won't wait that long and anyway, he will have withheld my deposit by then anyway.

i can tell you are a genuine case , unlike yourself , cowboy tenants who are happy to go years without paying rent , know the law inside out

relax , the land lord absolutely cannot turf you out in such a short space of time , try and put together a payment plan of sort , the law protects you very well if you look into it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Get a loan from someone. There must be someone more appropriate to borrow money from than your landlord.
    You are taking advantage of a stranger here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

If you cannot pay rent you must communicate with the LL and do your best. With rental prices being what they are, I sympathize with you. If he wants to evict you, he will need to give you 28 days notice, as is legal in Ireland.

Please see here

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Things you could try.

1. Over draft from your bank.

2. Credit union loan until your sorted.

3. Family or friend could borrow you money.

4. Find a cheaper place ASAP and talk to your LL and explain your Problem.

5. Move in with Family or friends until you have enough money.

6. Sell something you own or find a small job for quick cash. Was windows, wash cars, Ask people do the need any thing done.

7. Long term start having a plan every month for your money so you don't have this problem again. There are many apps or web sites to help with this.

8. Find someone to share rent with LL agreement half rent is easier to pay.

Good luck and hope you get sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP are you on welfare ?

Advertisement