Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can you chip your dogs myself and what cost???

• 02-04-2016 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

As above im wondering is it possible for people to chip there dogs themselves at home and what is the cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

No, it has to be by a vet or vet nurse. DSPCA will do it for about €15 I think, vets around the country can vary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

€25 for the vet to chip them & €20 for the vet to change owner details. It's €15 to change them online yourself but you need the chip ID & PIN number from the registration cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭sniperman

do we still have to license them as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

sniperman wrote: »
    do we still have to license them as well?
    Yes, you hardly think that they are going to scrap that nice little earner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

And now that their chipped it's only a matter of time until the cross reference it and then they know who's licenced as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The letters for my two mutts came in. We always license ours, but we are the only dog owners we know, save the in laws, who actually pay this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

Kovu wrote: »
    No, it has to be by a vet or vet nurse. DSPCA will do it for about €15 I think, vets around the country can vary.
    No your wrong anyone with the microchipping course done can do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

allan450 wrote: »
    No your wrong anyone with the microchipping course done can do it.

Apologies, you're correct. That law was changed since I was in college. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭ferrete

Buy microchips on animal guard. Ie and hip ur self cost 5er per mutt including registration fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

Kovu wrote: »
    Apologies, you're correct. That law was changed since I was in college.
    No worries we cant be right all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Looks like IKC are enforcing that dogs for registration with them MUST be chipped by authorized persons. IKC says proof must be given on the application form.

I was talking to lad last night who said that they'd changed this rule this week and they are not seeking proof of qualified person chipped the dogs. Anyone hear anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cork Rebel

The legislation doesn't allow for you to chip your own dog, conflict of interest.

There is an exemption for charities and hunts which allows this.

As said above you don't need a vet, a registered implanter can do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭SureHowBad

Cork Rebel wrote: »
    The legislation doesn't allow for you to chip your own dog, conflict of interest.

There is an exemption for charities and hunts which allows this.

As said above you don't need a vet, a registered implanter can do it for you.

How do you become a registered implanter?

Advertisement