Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

WD40

• 02-04-2016 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Hi all. Just talking to a mate of mine earlier About the inclement weather & bike cleaning methods. He tells me he sprays WD40 over & under the majority of the bike & this works wonders. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of this. My bike has to be stored outdoors as it won't fit down my side entrance. I cover it with a tarp but he has got me thinking. Does WD40 work or should I shell out for the cleaning products that the bike shops sell? Just curious for your experience and/or tips.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread moved to the Motorbikes forum

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Thanks for that. Was a D'oh moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

Have a look into ACF50, just make sure to keep whatever solvent you use away from the brakes!!

Hi all. Just talking to a mate of mine earlier About the inclement weather & bike cleaning methods. He tells me he sprays WD40 over & under the majority of the bike & this works wonders. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of this. My bike has to be stored outdoors as it won't fit down my side entrance. I cover it with a tarp but he has got me thinking. Does WD40 work or should I shell out for the cleaning products that the bike shops sell? Just curious for your experience and/or tips.

Well its going to leave an oily residue so will probably protect the paintwork and stop grime sticking. I doubt you can buy a cleaning product to do the same. A company making cleaning products isnt going to make one that leaves an oily residue I wouldnt have thought.

I say go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Check out a product called scotoiler 365. Spray down your bike after every wet ride (OoOOH Matron) it neutralises road salts and leaves a protective layer behind. It's greatstuff. But if you have access to cheap wd40, it would definitely help prevert corrosion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

WD40 is great for that OP.

I use it on my bikes all winter, great stuff and very cheap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I take it spraying any of these products on any part of the exhaust will do fuk all as it would burn off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

From what I'm told Richard it'll do the trick nicely. Obviously the exhaust should be cooled down. I've sprayed it on the underneath of my bike after scrubbing it with a brush & a rough sponge. When the weather & time permit I'll give it a more thorough going over.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I just bought a spray can of ACF50 - found it in a shop for €20 which is the same as the online prices. Going to give it a go, however I read online that its more of a winter thing as it coats your bike in a film that dirt will stick to, but no penetrate, is that true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

That's it exactly zascar, the dirt and grime sticks to the acf50 not the bike so when you wash it off bike is still 100. Spray it finely under seats on electrics etc for a water proof barrier and on suspension and metals to build up a coat to stop rust aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Note to self, wash bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

ACF50 is good and it will help but it will also depends on the bike as some have tendency to rust and depends how often you use the bike that is parked outside.

personally I only lubricate what needs to be lubricated and don't spray anything on the bike. most of my bikes were/are parked outside and I use them nearly everyday.

few trips behind the trucks on m50 and its going like through sandblasting tunnel that will remove most things form you bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Every time I have cleaned the bike so far I gave it the ACF 50 treatment except for the last wash. The difference was unreal. Dirt/dust and crap all over the bike. When ACF 50 is applied it stops the crap from sticking and makes the next clean alot easier. So I gave the bike a god clean today followed by an ACF 50 treatment. I put some on the exhaust but I still dont think it will do much as im sure it will just burn off

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Smells nice as it does though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah WD40 will work. It will clean the surface and after wiping leave a thin film that is not particularly slippery.

Advertisement