Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbour's dog barking

• 03-04-2016 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Sorry for another post on dog barking but it seems everyone's situation is different. So, my neighbours own a very hyper dog who is rarely exercised. Initially the dog was left out all day while they were at work. The dog literally barked non stop and for no apparent reason in their back garden. As I work different hours I eventually approached them and explained non confrontationally the continuous barking while they were at work. It was an amicable conversation and so they keep the dog indoors now while they are out. Obviously I appreciated this as it gave me back my sanity. Second problem has arisen and I am dreading the summer already. Basically any time I open my patio door to go out to the garden be it to do gardening or sit outside in peace the dog clearly looks to be let out and so for the entire time I am in my garden their dog is racing up and down the boundary fence barking incessantly at me. I feel harrassed in my own garden! This is not a vicious dog but just very hyperactive with one very loud high pitched bark. The neighbours are in their house when this is going on and are well aware the dog is barking because I am outside. The dog will then stop for a second trying to look in at me before continuing its running up and down by the fence barking. Family and friends have commented on it. I understand the dog is locked up all day while they work but I can no longer enjoy peace in my own back garden. If I try to sit out at the patio in summer I often end up having to go back inside. I'm in no doubt but they know it's annoying me and make feeble attempts to call the dog to try to 'stop' him barking. I would never be so inconsiderate to my neighbours but I feel that they may think they are doing enough by leaving the dog in while they work. I was looking up silencers before posting here and had suggested a barking collar on my first call to my neighbours. Any suggestions appreciated. I am an animal lover but do not understand this dog's mentality....of course it is the owners fault.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It may be best to try to make friends with the dog. Maybe, in that second where it stops barking to look at you, throw some treats over the fence so it learns that the neighbour is a nice person who gives treats, but that those treats only appear when he's not barking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

My neighbours dog is also a barker & barker & barks everytime I go out in the garden & is leg out everytime I come home or am out in the garden. I know the dog now & he recognises my voice, so I just call him now & tell him it's me, & the barking stops immediately.so that's what I recommend you do, the dog is barking to warn owners there is someone around & also of of boredom by the sounds of things.
    It still niggles me that everytime I am in the garden they let the dog out but that's just me I guess Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what kind of fence is there between you
    can the dog see you trough it
    maybe allowing the dog to see you might stop it from barking at you.

I like the idea of making friends with the dog.
    go next door and ask them to let you play with the dog and give it treats. this will tell them there is a problem without you complaining. when you are friends with the dog you could get a ladder and look in at the dog and try to continue the friendship from your side.
    hopefully if the dog isn't threatened by you or by the mysterious person next door it will calm down

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Hi folks. The dog does know me and in fact the first time they got the dog I made friends with him. I went over to the side gate and was rubbing him and talking to him. I have also talked to him when he is barking so that he knows it is me and even call him by name. I have gone right up to the fence and put my hand as much in through the fence as possible and he does come over and wags his tail continuously. So he does know me, I do talk to him but none of that stops him from incessant barking as soon as I go back to what I'm doing. He can see me through the fence, knows who I am, hears my voice so I am most definitely not a stranger to him. But as soon as I sit down or try to do some gardening he continues racing up and down along the fence barking incessantly. Apparently this breed of dog has a puppy mentality and retains that throughout their life. There are gaps in the fence as I say so he does see me, knows me and knows I pose no threat. I grew up with dogs but they were walked three times a day and never left outside barking. I'm not sure why my neighbours think it is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

maybe he wants attention.
    how about putting a hole in the fence and letting him in to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd agree with this. My dog will bark out the gate at strangers that he doesn't like the look of... but he'll also bark for his favorites to come to the gate and pet him! :rolleyes: I don't leave him out barking though - he gets a couple of free barks and he's brought back in and would only be out for a minute if we're at the bin or getting something out of the car. Really I think the neighbors need to do something here. Unless you want to be the one who teaches the dog to be quiet OP - DBB has conveniently posted instructions here lol - :pac: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057577547&page=2

how about putting a hole in the fence and letting him in to play.

I agree he wants attention and is bored and excitable but I think it is the neighbour's job to give him that attention. I won't be putting a hole in my fence. They have 2 young children who they got the dog for so it should be the children playing with the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

In a similar situation myself. Neighbour has 7 dogs, 5 of which bark at the smallest noise. It's been going on years now and I can't even open a window without them going mental. They also have a couple of cats that have taken a liking to sh!ting in my garden. It's like a minefield cutting the grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

angeline wrote: »
    I agree he wants attention and is bored and excitable but I think it is the neighbour's job to give him that attention. I won't be putting a hole in my fence. They have 2 young children who they got the dog for so it should be the children playing with the dog.

Op correct If the neighbour can't keep control of the dog and it's agression then that's a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If talking to them about this doesn't help then your next step would be to contact the council or Gardai. Persistent barking is, I believe, covered by noise pollution laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭imp1

Dog barking has its own legislation, separate from 'normal' noise complaints,
    see
    A google for 'Control of dogs act 1998' should bring it up.
    extract below

Barking dogs
    Excessive dog barking that causes a nuisance is an offence. You may be able to solve such problems by talking to the dog owner.

If you don’t get a satisfactory response, you may complain to the District Court and seek a hearing. When you have received a court date, you must inform the dog owner of your complaint by using the form prescribed for this purpose under Section 25 of the Control of Dogs Act 1986. These forms are available from the District Courts and from local authorities.

The court may make an order requiring the occupier of the premises in which the dog is kept to abate the nuisance by exercising due control over a dog. The court may limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premises or may direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden to be dealt with as unwanted.

Thanks. I'll monitor the situation, hate being one of those neighbours giving out about the other neighbours. I prefer to get on with my neighbours, but the problem is they got a particularly hyperactive dog from a rescue who is in a constant excitable state and really seem to have done very little to train the dog. He is rarely exercised so must be v bored too. End result for me, a quiet neighbour, is now being unable to enjoy any peace in my own garden. Yesterday I decided to record the barking while he was outside so might gather a few recordings and take it from there. They were going to get a barking collar when I first approached them but didn't. I was reading yesterday that these can be quite cruel so maybe that's why they didn't. Still irresponsible owners imo, not the dog's fault.

Advertisement