Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triangle tyres - how are these legal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cheap popcorn can be just as good as more expensive popcorn too.

They are perfectly good tyres.

Cheap tyres can and are every bit as good as the more expensive tyres. Its all branding and marketing

Perfectly good if your driving a golf cart. They are utter ****e as proven by numerous testing done on them which is freely available online if you were bothered to check.nothing goes on the car or bike unless its a well regarded brand . What's your life worth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

haha typical nonsense. watching "tests" conducted by or paid for by the leading tyre companies.no thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

What Irish motorists really need is the Guards and the German Traffic Cops doing a 12 months job exchange program. That would put manners on the Irish motorists I can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

When I go for tyres, there is usually 3 choices
    1 Cheap (usually Chinese) ones
    2 Mid Price (Toyo or Lassa) which the tyre man usually recommends
    3 Premium, Good Year, Pirelli etc

I usually go for the middle ones. Should I pay the extra few euro for the more expensive ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

earlytobed wrote: »

I usually go for the middle ones. Should I pay the extra few euro for the more expensive ones?

If it's only an 'extra few euro', yes! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Boskowski wrote: »
    What Irish motorists really need is the Guards and the German Traffic Cops doing a 12 months job exchange program. That would put manners on the Irish motorists I can tell you.

It'd be some TV show if nothing else!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

13 years of experience with one vehicle, it's only had 3 different makes of tyre in that time, Isuzu crew cab on 245/70/16's.

Came from manufacturer with Yokomo, which were reasonable, and put another set on when the first wore out. Second set of tyres were a disaster, Federal, didn't last 5 minutes in comparison, and the next set that went on when the Federal's went are still on it a good while on, expensive, but they have proved to be well worth the premium, BF Goodrich AT, and they just keep on rolling, but without causing me any worries in terms of performance, both in wet and cold conditions, the AT's proved their worth a while back when we had the snow on the ground for nearly a month, I never has to worry if I could get into places, in 4wd, it went where I wanted it to, without dramas, and they are still there several years on.

I found the thread about tyres relating to accident numbers thought provoking, the whole issue of the validity of being allowed to import and sell used tyres makes me wonder about our legislators, but at this stage, I shouldn't be surprised by anything, politics in this country is dysfunctional at just about every level, and motoring is only one item on a long list of areas that are being ripped off by the system.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Max, did you never hear of The Monsoon season in Asia?

Might be monsoon season, but it'll still be a min of 20°C.
    Some of those asian countries dont even have heaters in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Joe 90

pa990 wrote: »
    Might be monsoon season, but it'll still be a min of 20°C.
    First car my mother had did not have a heater, in Donegal not Asia.

Might be monsoon season, but it'll still be a min of 20°

Ye but unless we're talking about freezing conditions what difference does it make? Wet at 5° is just as wet as it is at 25°.

Ye but unless we're talking about freezing conditions what difference does it make? Wet at 5° is just as wet as it is at 25°.

rubber behaves differently at below 7ºc, some of these asian counties dont see below 20ºc.

Harder compounds work better in hot countries, just like a super soft compound would practically melt off the rim on a 40+ºc day over there.

Ditch finders are fine for hotter climates, and will probably work fine here on that hot week we get in August.

Joe 90 wrote: »
    First car my mother had did not have a heater, in Donegal not Asia.

Fair enough, but I'm referring to brand new Toyotas, Protons, Mazdas, Nissans, and they are coming fresh from the factory without a heater.

But I think I'm going off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

They are perfectly good tyres.

Cheap tyres can and are every bit as good as the more expensive tyres. Its all branding and marketing

I tell you what, let's perform a test.

I'll stand in front of a car stopping from 100km/h on a wet surface wearing Michelin PS2s.

You can stand directly across from me, but the same type of car heading towards you at the same speed, on the same surface is on Triangles.

Still confident it's just marketing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

haha typical nonsense. watching "tests" conducted by or paid for by the leading tyre companies.no thanks

Lol. Forget the tinfoil hat this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I tell you what, let's perform a test. I'll stand in front of a car stopping from 100km/h on a wet surface wearing Michelin PS2s. You can stand directly across from me, but the same type of car heading towards you at the same speed, on the same surface is on Triangles. Still confident it's just marketing?

Irrelevant

I can think of other German programmes that would 'put manners' on us too :rolleyes:

Jesus. wrote: »
    Irrelevant

That's OK for you to say. You can just get back up again.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Irrelevant

In fairness, it's probably one of the most relevant, logical posts of the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I'll stand in front of a car stopping from 100km/h on a wet surface wearing Michelin PS2s.

You can stand directly across from me, but the same type of car heading towards you at the same speed, on the same surface is on Triangles.

yes

• Advertisement

It's like mud-wrestling with a pig...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I wonder what would happen in Germany?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'll arrange the undertaker with 2 coffins. Just let's know when and where!

CiniO wrote: »
    Drive on. Be grand.

Not your ornery onager

rubber behaves differently at below 7ºc, some of these asian counties dont see below 20ºc.
    This magic 7 degrees borderline temperature for tyres is just a marketing thing.
    I've never observed any sudden differences when temperate drops below or rises above 7 degrees.
    Ditch finders are fine for hotter climates, and will probably work fine here on that hot week we get in August.

Are we really going to get a hot week in August ;)
    I can't wait :):):):):):):):):):):)

They'd all go to poland on vacation

Haha, I have no idea. But seriously sometimes I drive around in my hometown (my Irish hometown) and I see cars driving around in some state and with drivers on the phone and whatnot and I'm thinking they need a good German traffic cop to sort them out. I'd say half the town would be on 6+ points within a fortnight.

I'm actually only half joking. Cos we all drive 2 ton deadly weapons around and road traffic is the one situation where my personal safety is pretty exposed to other peoples clownery on a daily basis.

I'd say half the town would be on 6+ points within a fortnight..

Its not nice to wish something like that on your neighbours dude

They'd all go to poland on vacation

You know what I've heard them all. More than once trust me. 'Haha you're a gas man'. All the stupid fkn jokes. I don't really care. I'm not offended, seriously. I mean why would I, its got nothing to do with me. But does it not occur to anyone that its been the same stupid jokes for the last god knows how many years and that it stopped being funny a long long time ago? Or are you all such simpletons that you genuinely think you cracked a good one?

Its not nice to wish something like that on your neighbours dude

You might change your opinion if you saw what some people drive around in here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Irrelevant
    In fairness, it's probably one of the most relevant, logical posts of the thread.

No it isnt logical. It is irrelevant. Your 'test' is a nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You might change your opinion if you saw what some people drive around in here.

Nah, Jesus is pretty firm on loving thy neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

earlytobed wrote: »

No you shouldnt. You are falling for one of the oldest marketing tricks in the book though :
    - when the customer cannot objectively evaluate the relative merits of the product, you offer a 'lower', 'better', 'best' trio of price ranges. People, particularly if they can tell nothing at all to distinguish the products themselves, do not like to feel that they are buying the cheapest. Yet, nor can they justify paying for the top price ones since they can see nothing in them that merits the expense. So they plump for the middle ground. Good pricing strategy will have these pitched with a good margin, the cheaper ones looking almost too cheap to have any trust in them, and more expensive ones only there for the people with more money than sense, or those who are 'into' the product, and who have been won over by by the premium marketing that they are indeed a superior product.

There is a lot of information on tyres out there. Sure some of those test will be 'sponsored' but there is good independent info on the net, too. When people buy a TV or tablet they spend hours on the net to find the best thing but they don't seem to do it when its about tyres. I have colleagues who debate at length the safety rating of their child seats but when you look at their cars they have tyres on it that would have failed NCT a year ago.

No you shouldnt. You are falling for one of the oldest marketing tricks in the book though :
    - when the customer cannot objectively evaluate the relative merits of the product, you offer a 'lower', 'better', 'best' trio of price ranges. People, particularly if they can tell nothing at all to distinguish the products themselves, do not like to feel that they are buying the cheapest. Yet, nor can they justify paying for the top price ones since they can see nothing in them that merits the expense. So they plump for the middle ground. Good pricing strategy will have these pitched with a good margin, the cheaper ones looking almost too cheap to have any trust in them, and more expensive ones only there for the people with more money than sense, or those who are 'into' the product, and who have been won over by by the premium marketing that they are indeed a superior product.
    TROL, ( hope the abbreviation is OK) your analysis might hold up for goods that have little or no application to life or death situations e.g. white goods, wallpaper, etc. It probably applies to certain safety-related equipment the performance of which is predictable as well e.g. bicycle helmets.

I would like to hear you try to defend the cheapest motorcycle tyre with the same dogmatic certainty that you shown in your posts in the threads on car tyres.

Not your ornery onager

Lucretia has a point. People can easily get duped by propaganda. If you had a set of premiums on a 15 year old car and a set of triangles on a brand new one, the new car may well stop sooner (due to its superior braking power). So those who say these tyres are death traps were themselves driving around 15 years ago in cars that by their own admission were death traps, thinking they were the bees knees when it comes to safety!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

If you had a set of premiums on a 15 year old car and a set of triangles on a brand new one, the new car may well stop sooner (due to its superior braking power).

If only physics was taught at schools...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If you had a set of premiums on a 15 year old car and a set of triangles on a brand new one, the new car may well stop sooner (due to its superior braking power)................

If a new car with triangle tyres under it can outbrake a 15 year old car on premium tyres,

then a new car on premium tyres would stop way sooner

Also, if a 15 year old car can be outbraked by a new car on triangles , get 15 year old cars off the road and crush them asap

gctest50 wrote: »
    So then, if the new car had premiums under it, it would stop way sooner So, get 15 year old cars off the road and crush them asap

But the new cars we drive now will be considered death traps in 15 years (even without deterioration). Why don't we crush all cars asap?

• Advertisement

Lucretia has a point. People can easily get duped by propaganda. If you had a set of premiums on a 15 year old car and a set of triangles on a brand new one, the new car may well stop sooner (due to its superior braking power). So those who say these tyres are death traps were themselves driving around 15 years ago in cars that by their own admission were death traps, thinking they were the bees knees when it comes to safety!

Can you tell us where does this "superior braking power" come from?

What advances in brakes technology has happened in the last 15 years?

Well in fairness, it wasn't invented during the last 15 years, but 15 years ago the majority of cars would not have had ABS. Now they do. (They do, don't they?)

Can you tell us where does this "superior braking power" come from? What advances in brakes technology has happened in the last 15 years?

I'm not a mechanic Cinio but I'd be fairly sure the brakes now on average would be better.

(I also wouldn't tow a horsebox with a 1.4L Golf :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

The only advancement I can see is ABS but that technology is more than 15 years old. Electronic stability control is iffy as some older cars had it and some newer cars don't.

The only improvement i can see is in the premium tyres development over last 15 years but that can be thrown out the window when the likes of triangle tyres are fitted.

I'm not a mechanic Cinio but I'd be fairly sure the brakes now on average would be better.

Yet no matter how good the brakes, they are limited by the grip between the surface and...

Well in fairness, it wasn't invented during the last 15 years, but 15 years ago the majority of cars would not have had ABS. Now they do. (They do, don't they?)

Yes, ABS is mandatory for like last 15 years or so... But ABS does not shorten the braking (it is not its purpose) and in some conditions it even makes it longer.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    If only physics was taught at schools...

Nothing to do with physics Grogi. I'm talking about a car with better brakes than another.

Well, I'd risk saying that vast majority of cars from 2001 had ABS as standard.
    It's a legal requirement on cars in EU from 2004, but very few cars were released without it in preceeding years.

But why?
    There was no technology advance in braking afaik since 2001.
    We still use discs, pads, and on smaller cars the drums.
    Still exactly the same technology.
    (I also wouldn't tow a horsebox with a 1.4L Golf :D)
    And I would. Anytime.
    Even though I never owned a horse.

visual wrote: »
    The only advancement I can see is ABS but that technology is more than 15 years old. Electronic stability control is iffy as some older cars had it and some newer cars don't.
    All new cars in EU must have ESC (ESP or whatever you call it) now.

And ABS as above - it was present in most cars from 16 years ago, but it doesn't really lower the braking distance in most cases.
    In my experience - on dry tarmac - it doesn't.
    On ice - it doesn't.
    On wet tarmac - it does lower braking distance a bit.
    On gravel, snow or sand, it actually enlarges braking distance very often.

When I drive in snow, I usually try to turn off my ABS if possible (usually by taking the fuse off). I feel the car much better without it in such conditions.

The nut behind the wheel is often still the deciding factor.

Part-worn premium tyres over new the other things every time for me.

Unless the other things are a fully licenced clone of a previous generation premium - i.e. totally identical to the original apart from the name. Thinking e.g. Hankook Ventus Prime.

Not your ornery onager

ABS is not designed to shorten braking distance. It is designed to allow steering under severe braking.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I price them on mid range rubber and they just refuse. Take their car back and do another 5k on their slicks until they start losing air and then they buy ditchfinders... from the nearest outlet to where they got their puncture and not from me.
    How much are ditchfinders? Would usually have spent about €200-€250 for a set of four wheels in the past. Cars would have cost around 5-6k each, if it makes much of a difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement