Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James May:The Reassembler.

• 03-04-2016 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭

Tuesday,Wednesday,and Thursday night next at 9pm on BBC4.
    Sounds rediculous but he reassembles a lawnmower,an old bakolite telephone and an electric guitar,I just like the guy whatever he's presenting.
    Worth a watch if you're a fan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Will check it out - appreciate the heads up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I mentioned this on the bespoke BBC Four thread :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99186130&postcount=376

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Good idea thanks, this is an interesting TED talk if you like this kind of thing:

https://www.ted.com/talks/thomas_thwaites_how_i_built_a_toaster_from_scratch?language=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

kneemos wrote: »
    Tuesday,Wednesday,and Thursday night next at 9pm on BBC4.
    Sounds rediculous but he reassembles a lawnmower,an old bakolite telephone and an electric guitar,I just like the guy whatever he's presenting.
    Worth a watch if you're a fan.

It's on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at 9pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Watching part 2 (the phone) now - quite enjoyable. If anything I wish James would explain more about how things actually work e.g. he's already reassembled the receiver without explaining how the microphone works. The guitar should be a doddle by comparison.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The guitar episode was OK, and James did explain how pickups work, which was nice. He did cheat a bit on the wiring, though - it was mostly done already. :p

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Watched all 3, found the lawnmower one most interesting.

Anyone get the impression that May seemed a little like he wasn't enjoying doing the shows and a tad not bothered? Not sure if this was done long before his Top Gear departure with Clarkson or if he was forced contractually to do it afterwards. I would have loved him to do a full strip down of a modern petrol and a modern diesel engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Hey guys, I fix TVs/electronics and enjoy working on cars and stuff. Was it any good for learning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Anyone get the impression that May seemed a little like he wasn't enjoying doing the shows and a tad not bothered

Just watched Electric Guitar (as I play and repair them myself) and lawnmower episode online. I found them pretty useless. I watch a lot of youtube tutorials about cars and mechanics and they leave this production way behind. What I thought was poorest was that he had no 3D graphic to illustrate and explain how the piston/crankshaft worked, or how the wave vibrations of the strings are turned into sound.

And I agree with AD about the couldnt be really ar$ed attitude of May. At one point in the lawnmower he says "Now if there is anybody still watching at this stage". I mean the best way to teach people is with enthusiasm and passion, not cynicism and sarcasm. I'm not really sure who it is actually aimed at, it's cant be for people trying to learn, so I'm guessing that it is just for fans of May himself.

Advertisement