Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle repair courses in Dublin

• 03-04-2016 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello Guys

I'm Juan Carlos from Venezuela, currently living in dublin, I would like to know if anyone of you knows a college or a garage that provide courses for Repairing a motorcycle.
    I know from experience a little of mechanic but only in petrol engines and 4x4 components.

I has being trying to find some course for this next winter but it has being nearly impossible. The only information i could find online was from courses in 2012.

I have plenty of time during the weekends (Sundays) and during the week some days in the night (Monday - Wednesday - Friday).

My idea is to enrol this course (doesn't matter if they provide a cert or not) for later try to start a motorcycle project for 2017.

Any advice would be appreciated

Best, JC

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I did a course a few years ago, in a college in north Dublin. It wasn't that good really but I learned a little. I would like to do something similar. I googled it a while back and there was nothing new. Does anyone know a mechanic that might do something like this if a bunch of us were interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ju4nc4rlos

Hello Zascar

The information i got is from the Larkin Community College
    In their website if you search for "Motorcycle Technology Night Classes" there is some information about the course but is from 2012

I already send an email to the college and i'll post here their reply

Best Regards

I cannot post the URL since i'm a newbie in the Forum :P

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Is this it? [url]Http://www.larkincommunitycollege.ie/index.php/motorcycle-technology-night/[/url]

See if you can find out if its on again, and if there is a beginner & advanced one.

Yes that's the one

I'll let you know the info when the college reply me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Hu Deman wrote: »

Thats down in Cork boi.:pac::D

Bit far for the OP to travel.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I'd be interested in this too. Let us know what Larkin College say, OP.

Hello Guys

I have called to the larking college
    The college only rent the infrastructure to the trainer.
    The receptionist provide me the phone number and name of the trainer

Dennys -> 0872806998

I have call him already al leave a voice message asking information. If you want to call that is the number maybe you get more lucky than me

If i receive any info from the trainer i'll let you know

Best, JC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

ju4nc4rlos wrote: »
    Hello Guys

I have called to the larking college
    The college only rent the infrastructure to the trainer.
    The receptionist provide me the phone number and name of the trainer

Dennys -> 0872806998

I have call him already al leave a voice message asking information. If you want to call that is the number maybe you get more lucky than me

If i receive any info from the trainer i'll let you know

Best, JC

Apparently that mobile is associated with Ace Motorcycles in Dublin?

• Advertisement

Guys name is Dennis. He's a working mechanic, does this on the side.

Id be interested in this.:)
    But only if its a full term coarse and he does'nt decide to stop doing it say 3 or 4 weeks into it.

Had that happen to me before with a computer coarse and I was well annoyed.:mad:

Wow i imagine they give your money back at least. Didn't they?

ju4nc4rlos wrote: »
    Wow i imagine they give your money back at least. Didn't they?

Had to argue like mad for my money back.
    I was allmost walking out of the room with a computer in my hands,I was that serious about wanting my money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I think there's a market for this. It has been mentioned here before many times, various people saying they'd want to do a course.

I was one of those people back in 2011, but through these forums and reading, I've picked up almost everything I need to know...but there's always more to learn.

Would be great if we organised something...even to get people from here to pay someone, someone with a **** load of knowledge like CJhaughey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

The problem here in Ireland is there no longer is an official accredited motorcycle mechanics qualification course.

My go to spanner-man when I'm beyond my limitations, emigrated to Australia in order to complete an accredited 4 year course before he returned home to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭Alkers

I did that course in Larkin and it was well worth while for the cost. Only gripe was the bike they were demonstrating on was a 125cc air-cooled thing so it was very simplistic in comparison to most other bikes...

Hello Lads

I got all the information, Denis send it to me personally

It's a 10 week course per module (1 session of 2 hours per week)

There are 3 modules Basic, Advance and Project

The price of each module is 120€

The days are Tuesday (Basic) , Wednesday (Advance) and Thursday (Project)

Since i cannot upload an image i'll copy and paste the content of each module

BASICS CLASSES.

1. Introduction to workshop layout. Safety and hazards outlined. Tools and workshop equipment operation explained.
    2. 2 stroke cycle explained with the aid of diagrams and screen projection. Engine unit partially dismantled to expose key components. Engine reassembled.
    3. 4 stroke cycle explained with the aid of diagrams and screen projection. Engine unit partially dismantled to expose key components. Engine reassembled.
    4. Maintenance work discussed. Safety inspection done on motorcycle in class followed by routine service including oil and filter change.
    5. Fuel systems, lubrication, cooling. Components, sensors and properties of fluids needed.
    6. Brakes. Drum and disc. Cable, rod and hydraulic operation. Servicing, stripping and cleaning.
    7. Wheels, tyres and tubes. Wheel hubs, spokes and rims. Wheel bearings check and replace.
    8. Electrics. Battery, alternator and charging systems explained. Ignition systems explained and troubleshooting tips and tools demonstrated.
    9. Suspension. Front telescopic forks servicing. Rear swinging arm and shock absorbers servicing.
    10. Question and answer session. Review any items requested.

ADVANCED CLASSES.

1. Introduction to workshop layout. Safety and hazards outlined. Tools and workshop equipment operation explained. Recommendations for fitting out DIY home workshop.
    2. 2 stroke cycle explained with the aid of diagrams and screen projection. Various engine layouts described. Tuning and porting methods shown. Expansion chamber and variable exhaust port designs explained. Engine dismantled, components measured and class required to reassemble similar units. (time permitting)
    3. 4 stroke cycle explained with the aid of diagrams and screen projection. Various engine layouts described. Various valve train designs and valve arrangements explained. Top end strip down of typical 4 stroke engine. Class required to remove and re install valves, re time valves on SOHC air cooled engine. (time permitting)
    4. Multi cylinder engine with Shim and Bucket valve adjustment requirement, described. Tools needed and methods of maintenance explained. Work carried out on engine in class. Where possible compression test carried out before and after work.
    5. Engine strip down. Single cylinder, twin cylinder or multi cylinder 4 stroke engine dismantled on bench. Clutch and transmission exposed and explained. Crankcase casting and oil ways explained. Oil delivery systems to plain and roller bearings compared.
    6. Clutch and transmission systems explained. Wet and dry, single plate and multi plate clutch. Various actuation mechanisms compared. Automatic, semi automatic and manual transmission discussed with examples on work bench.
    7. Fuelling systems discussed including fuel storage, pumping, filtering and regulating pressure feed to carburettors and injectors. Carburettors explained and dismantled. Common problems discussed and fuel injection principles explained. Exhaust systems for 4 stroke engines compared.
    8. Electrical systems explained. Electrical charging, rectifying, regulating and storage devices discussed. Fail safe components identified. Horns, relays, pumps, thermal switches and sensors demystified. Points type ignition, electronic pickups, and modern ignition units. Problems that arise and means of preventing some problems.
    9. Braking systems dismantled and components cleaned, examined and explained. Class required to re assemble and fill system with new brake fluid. Drum brakes and cable or rod operation serviced and limiting factors explained.
    10. Questions and Answers. Review topics and repeat anything of interest.

ADDITIONAL TOPICS THAT WILL BE INCLUDED IF TIME PERMITS.

ALL CLASSES WELCOME TO SUGGEST TOPICS AT 1 WEEKS NOTICE.

1. Fork strip down. Stanchions examined bushings and seals replaced oils changed.
    2. Head stock bearings. How to check them, adjust them, remove and replace. Different types of bearings used.
    3. What to look for when examining a used motorcycle for sale. Crash damage that can’t be hidden.
    4. Winterising your motorcycle. Preparing machines for winter use or storage.

PROJECT CLASS.

Larkin Community College will supply 2 or 3 motorcycles in need of overhaul.
    Teams of 4-5 will set about dismantling different components of motorcycle that has suffered
    neglect or mechanical damage. Assess condition of various important components and research best
    option for repair or replacement.
    Renew or overhaul the components that are still serviceable and reassemble when ready.
    The main aim is to have motorcycle running by end of term.
    The classes will not concentrate solely on the project bikes.
    Participants are welcome to work on their own project bike components and review subjects of
    interest.

The class is allowed to set direction and pace of project.

I forgot to mention

The next courses may start on September.

he also mentioned that the registration could be one month before the starting class, so all interested in doing it keep in touch with denis around August

Best Regards, JC

Thanks for that. If anyone sees it restarting please post here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement