Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

^ok so you are repeating what has been said previously in the thread for the most part ;) but a couple of good points about people lashing into the fags before getting on board and sitting beside you stinking like a human ashtray.. also the baggage collection thing... you don't have priority baggage collection it doesn't exist so stop blocking everyone else and trying to take the shins off them with your trolley as well.. c&nts !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Get to the airport early. Have your bottles of warpaint and shampoo in a bag already. It's not that difficult, so do it at home and put it somewhere you can get it quickly to put in the tray. If you don't travel often, remove your belt, coat, boots or other clunky footwear, put your keys/coins/wallet into your coat pocket and put it in the tray. Watch what business travellers do and emulate. We're through the airport a crapload of times a year and know everything that'll cause a delay for us and any poor bastard in a hurry behind us.

Same goes for the escalator type walkways. Single file and stay to the right, let everyone who's not 'out for the day' pass on your left without having to shoulder tackle you or growl at you. Tell whoever's travelling with you to do the same. Stand to the side when you're sauntering along corridors and in main transit halls/transfer areas for the same reason. Ask airline and airport staff for help if you need it. No need to feel like you're a nuisance, just don't become one by blocking other people who know where they're going.

Front of the plane, always. If I'm sitting behind row 12, I've messed up and booked/checked in too late. Early morning or late night flights, window seat. Easier to nod off. All other times, aisle seat. Long haul and not travelling business/first class, exit row seating if it's available, ideally window but NEVER in the middle. If that's not available, I'll change the flight. Look for a seat facing a bulkhead on the widebody Boeing aircraft as there's almost always more leg room than you think, often enough to get up and walk easily to the toilets etc. Pay for early boarding if you must but it's easier to always travel with the same airline if possible and get onto their frequent flyer programmes. Lounge access is a godsend if you're travelling often for business and you'll end up getting better seating and occasional upgrades into business class for EU commuter flights.

Pack earplugs, paracetamol, eye drops if it's a long flight, always carry a snickers/mars etc and if you can manage it rather than bitching about the price of the sandwiches or how you should have had the breakfast before leaving. For your own sake, travel with carry on baggage only if it's possible. Put your phone, headphones into your pocket before you board. Don't ever be the dick standing in the way or fidgeting constantly with their bag looking for their stuff. It's annoying and completely unnecessary. Sit down and shut up. If it looks like the person beside you is a business traveller, leave them alone and let them write up their notes or just enjoy the peace and quiet at the end of their day. Your trip to visit your favourite kickey ball team stadium is unlikely to be the highlight of their day. Amazing how many people think everyone's on a day off or going on their holidays. Air travel is like taking a Bus Eireann commuter for many.

If you're a smoker, don't be a dick. Get some nicorette or whatever and try not to chain smoke 3 fags before sitting in the middle of a load of people who have to put up with the stench off you. It's disgusting. You not liking me saying that doesn't change the fact. If you can manage a few hours without smoking by using a substitute you'll be less stressed trying to find a smoking area coming through the airport and can get settled in on the flight without coughing and wheezing and wondering why people are turning on the air supply when you sit down beside them. No need to argue with me over this. Smokers don't get it usually but everyone else does.

If you have to check your bags in, don't rush like an eejit to the baggage hall only to stand around for 15 minutes, right up against the belt, as though somebody's watching the CCTV and will see that your bag should come up the ramp first because you're so determined. Relax. If it's made it to the airport, it'll be there. Grab a trolley and stand back so people can get their bags when they're on the belt while you wait for yours.

Don't clap. People who clap when the plane lands are signalling to everyone else that they're inbred. If you clap when the plane lands, your mother plays the banjo while your daddy paddles the canoe. Just don't do it. Ever.

best post on Boards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

nhur wrote: »
    Probably too bulky for you but I use the MEI bag - about as large a bag as you can have as carry on :-) - has back-pack straps which you can hide into the bag if you prefer a tidier look.

if I'm just bringing a laptop etc i have a leather satchel thingy... visconti i think it is...

I know these ones. They're pretty nice looking bits of kit. But for me it's not really suitable. I find I have the rucksack with me at all times and when I need to overnight them just bring the carry-on suitcase with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Some good tips in here. I like the tip with directions from T1 to T2 and back again. I normally bring a small notebook with me on holidays with information when i land like what train or bus to get. I also keep information on what i'd like to do on holidays. These T1 and T2 directions are going in, saves me from having to pull out my phone and sift through pages and pages of information here.

I think its already been mentioned but a small document wallet for the passport and boarding cards is great. Saves you from finding them amongst other things in your bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

If you are flying with Aer Lingus Regional and are not checking bags, go through security at T1 as it's a much shorter walk to the bus gates that Aer Lingus Regional use.

• Advertisement

I think somebody mentioned noise cancelling earphones.

Where can i get a cheap enough pair? The last time i flew, I brought my earphones with me but they weren't noise cancelling. I couldn't hear a thing on my tablet. It must have been the earphones because a guy up front hadn't an issue using his tablet/ipad for watching something.

Or is this normal for ipads/tablets to have crap sound on flights?

I'm all set for my next holiday with a rake of things to watch but I want to be able to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

The Raptor wrote: »

Where can i get a cheap enough pair?

They needn't be expensive. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-ZX110NA-Overhead-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B00N3WWM4O/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1465226292&sr=1-6&keywords=noise+cancelling+headphones

You can also find earbud types, which I like better. Don't be fooled by "noise isolating" types. Real "noise cancelling" types will be powered by an AAA battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

The Raptor wrote: »

Where can i get a cheap enough pair? The last time i flew, I brought my earphones with me but they weren't noise cancelling. I couldn't hear a thing on my tablet. It must have been the earphones because a guy up front hadn't an issue using his tablet/ipad for watching something.

Or is this normal for ipads/tablets to have crap sound on flights?

I'm all set for my next holiday with a rake of things to watch but I want to be able to hear it.

i just review some Sennheiser Momentum in ears which i uese daily. So good i bought a 2nd iphone pair for the Mrs. Click here to read

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

flying two long haul flights in two weeks so this thread is being watched like a hawk, have two kids and the wife so anything to make life easy

Speedwell wrote: »
    They needn't be expensive. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-ZX110NA-Overhead-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B00N3WWM4O/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1465226292&sr=1-6&keywords=noise+cancelling+headphones

You can also find earbud types, which I like better. Don't be fooled by "noise isolating" types. Real "noise cancelling" types will be powered by an AAA battery.

Thanks for this. Had a look around at noise cancelling headphones and earphones and the differences between cancelling and isolating. I ordered these for a long haul flight coming up. I don't care how silly i look with them on as its only for flying and it's a practical thing to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Snuggles80

Has anyone any tips for a 5 month pregnant woman travelling with a 3 year old and 18 mth old without spouse ? Flight is 7 hours then changeover before 1 hour flight! ?....?arrrggghhh!

Snuggles80 wrote: »
    Has anyone any tips for a 5 month pregnant woman travelling with a 3 year old and 18 mth old without spouse ? Flight is 7 hours then changeover before 1 hour flight! ?....?arrrggghhh!

Leave the kids at home with the husband/wife ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Other than dosing everyone with elephant tranquilisers...
    • Have big ziploc bags with complete outfit changes for each of them with you - you can grab which ever one is required, and put the orange juice soaked ones they're wearing back into the ziploc bag (and roll/squeeze the air out).
    • More ziploc bags with complete activities - e.g. one with colouring book and pencils, another with dolls and clothes, or whatever it is your kids do.
    • See if your connecting airport has people you can pay to accompany you through to your next flight - taking bags, pushing a buggy, whatever.
    • If your children are playing electronic games of any kind, turn the volume off completely. Not just down low, but off.
    • Pashminas can double as blankets for small kids, take up much less room than actual blankets. Don't count on being provided with a blanket or pillow on the flight.
    • Get a plastic pouch you can wear around your neck to contain the three passports and boarding cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Thoie wrote: »
    Other than dosing everyone with elephant tranquilisers...
    • If your children are playing electronic games of any kind, turn the volume off completely. Not just down low, but off.

That's a good one actually. I've had to sit on a lot of flights in front of kids with portable DVD players/electronic games where the volume has been turned down low, but still remains a nuisance to people sitting nearby having to hear the same annoying sounds and jingles being repeated over and over and over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Children crying on planes drive me absolutely mental. When I don't bring silicon wax earplugs or in-ear headphones to listen to music. Don't mind anyone whinging about kids bawling on a plane. It's an unnatural environment and unless they're travelling regularly from day one it's not going to be easy any time they're flying as babies and toddlers.

Make sure the kids don't have sinus or ear infections of any kind before you fly. If they do and you bring them anyway (not saying you would or wouldn't), it's the same as torturing them deliberately. Ears don't equalise and they'll probably be feeling incredible pain, which can of course also be a warning of a potentially harmful condition. Anyone travelling regularly on aircraft should keep an eye on this. Read up on barotrauma, otherwise known as divers ear. Learn the symptoms and don't ignore ear pain/aching and ANY degree of loss of hearing sensitivity the day after a flight.

Anyway, if the kids are grand and healthy, don't fret. If people are impatient, ignore them. I don't have kids, but I know enough to understand there's not a whole lot you can do if they're acting up or upset on a flight.

If you check-in online, make a point of approaching the check-in desk/customer service counter of the airline you're flying with anyway and ask them how best to handle things. They'll have dealt with thousands of parents no doubt travelling in similar circumstances. Take their advice as they'll know best what will make your trip as easy on you and the nippers as possible.

Prepare to board the aircraft before anyone else, but also to wait while everyone else gets off. This can present a challenge with a short transfer, but assuming you're travelling both flights via a single airline booking (codeshare or same airlines aircraft for both flights), they should have you on the manifest and any delays should be allowed for. One thing that might help in any case would be to preselect seats at the front of the aircraft. Call the airline now and ask if they can do that for you. The airline I travel with most frequently give these seats free of charge to a parent with infant on request, and waive the fee. That might have you off the aircraft and onto the next one a bit quicker with a lot less stress for you.

Finally think about that short transfer and the chance that your bags won't make it from one aircraft to the other in time, even if you do. Make sure that in the carry on bags you have all your usual 'parenting' stuff to allow for your bags to have to follow you to your accomodation perhaps the next day. You'll be able to check this with the airline anyway, but easier to have the extra clothing and whatnot in your carry-on than have to fret with shopping etc etc.

I won't say enjoy it, because you probably won't, but don't worry too much either. The staff will be very helpful, really they will. You just have to ask, and ignore anyone huffing and puffing. They're just ignorant and unintentionally inconsiderate. I write this as a very impatient traveller myself, but I know I don't have to face the same challenges in getting from A to B to C as you do on your journey. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Mr rebel wrote: »
    That's a good one actually. I've had to sit on a lot of flights in front of kids with portable DVD players/electronic games where the volume has been turned down low, but still remains a nuisance to people sitting nearby having to hear the same annoying sounds and jingles being repeated over and over and over again.

Yep, also one of my pet hates. Seems so ignorant to people around you trying to either snooze or relax without having to listen to the racket off a kid's game.
    Make sure the kids don't have sinus or ear infections of any kind before you fly. If they do and you bring them anyway (not saying you would or wouldn't), it's the same as torturing them deliberately. Ears don't equalise and they'll probably be feeling incredible pain, which can of course also be a warning of a potentially harmful condition. Anyone travelling regularly on aircraft should keep an eye on this.

I've flown on a flight with what I was convinced was a child in severe pain. He screamed, not cried, the whole >2hrs of the flight. I was certain there was something wrong with him, as it's not normal for them to stay upset that long and persistently. The parents just didn't come across like they thought it through. He could quite possibly been ill before the flight, or maybe they just didn't realise and the air pressure really upset him. In any case, it was awful for the other passengers, the poor baby and I'm sure the parents were mortified too. I guess travel insurance for something like this would be good, if it could be medically certified.

Make sure the kids don't have sinus or ear infections of any kind before you fly. If they do and you bring them anyway (not saying you would or wouldn't), it's the same as torturing them deliberately. Ears don't equalise and they'll probably be feeling incredible pain, which can of course also be a warning of a potentially harmful condition. Anyone travelling regularly on aircraft should keep an eye on this.

Boob/bottle/sucky sweets will help kids' ears equalise during takeoff/landing. It's not a guarantee, but will make things a lot easier for them as the constant swallowing action helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Boob/bottle/sucky sweets will help kids' ears equalise during takeoff/landing. It's not a guarantee, but will make things a lot easier for them as the constant swallowing action helps.

Hooooold up there, is this an option on Ry. ??? :D:D

Is there some SuperFlyer terms I've not heard about ?? :D:D

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Hooooold up there, is this an option on Ry. ??? :D:D

Is there some SuperFlyer terms I've not heard about ?? :D:D

I think you have to supply your own - you can't just grab a passing flight attendant. Though I'm sure if MO'L could find a way to monetise it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I think you have to supply your own - you can't just grab a passing flight attendant. Though I'm sure if MO'L could find a way to monetise it...

They'll run out and issue binkies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

Just wanted to advise people when booking travel insurance to avoid any policies underwritten by AXA which was quoted by theAA.ie. I had to cut short a trip and rebook my return flight from Paris on sunday night. I couldn't get an appointment with a french GP over the weekend as they do not work over the weekends. I did get in touch with my GP when i came back home . It was for that reason that my claim would not be processed simply because i did not get medical advice before returning home. I only wanted to claim the cost of the rebooked flight and my claim was genuine but due to their strict regulations , they advised me it would not be processed.
    I guess what i'm saying is , read the small print carefully and i'm not sure if other underwriters are as strict as AXA/www.theAA.ie but it would be best to shop around and see what their conditions are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

bada_bing wrote: »
    Just wanted to advise people when booking travel insurance to avoid any policies underwritten by AXA which was quoted by theAA.ie. I had to cut short a trip and rebook my return flight from Paris on sunday night. I couldn't get an appointment with a french GP over the weekend as they do not work over the weekends. I did get in touch with my GP when i came back home . It was for that reason that my claim would not be processed simply because i did not get medical advice before returning home. I only wanted to claim the cost of the rebooked flight and my claim was genuine but due to their strict regulations , they advised me it would not be processed.
    I guess what i'm saying is , read the small print carefully and i'm not sure if other underwriters are as strict as AXA/www.theAA.ie but it would be best to shop around and see what their conditions are.

I think you always have to read the T&Cs of any policy you purchase. as far as I know, VHI for example requires that you call their medical centre number and they refer or advise you. It's possible that they'd have expected something similar with AXA. I don't know what you policy covered, but any that I ever got for travel only ever covered emergency situations. A GP wouldn't have been seen as an emergency and we'd need a claim through an ER department or something agreed with the VHI Travel centre support.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,406 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Adding to the list,

*DO NOT push past people when they are removing their bag from the overhead locker, if urgent ask politely. Have seen bags fall down ontop of people before, and at that its extremely rude anyway.

*Don't be the eejit who decides to put their jackets and back sacks in the overhead lockers, especially on Ryanair.

Also, I don't have an issue with clapping on holiday flights. Maybe on a red eye I would, but come on it's not that annoying.

Im pretty sure the OP was "Airport Tips and Tricks" ...
    All we are getting is people and their "DONT" lists ...
    There are enough rules in airports without passengers making up more !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,406 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Get to the airport early. Have your bottles of warpaint and shampoo in a bag already. It's not that difficult, so do it at home and put it somewhere you can get it quickly to put in the tray. If you don't travel often, remove your belt, coat, boots or other clunky footwear, put your keys/coins/wallet into your coat pocket and put it in the tray. Watch what business travellers do and emulate. We're through the airport a crapload of times a year and know everything that'll cause a delay for us and any poor bastard in a hurry behind us.

Same goes for the escalator type walkways. Single file and stay to the right, let everyone who's not 'out for the day' pass on your left without having to shoulder tackle you or growl at you. Tell whoever's travelling with you to do the same. Stand to the side when you're sauntering along corridors and in main transit halls/transfer areas for the same reason. Ask airline and airport staff for help if you need it. No need to feel like you're a nuisance, just don't become one by blocking other people who know where they're going.

Front of the plane, always. If I'm sitting behind row 12, I've messed up and booked/checked in too late. Early morning or late night flights, window seat. Easier to nod off. All other times, aisle seat. Long haul and not travelling business/first class, exit row seating if it's available, ideally window but NEVER in the middle. If that's not available, I'll change the flight. Look for a seat facing a bulkhead on the widebody Boeing aircraft as there's almost always more leg room than you think, often enough to get up and walk easily to the toilets etc. Pay for early boarding if you must but it's easier to always travel with the same airline if possible and get onto their frequent flyer programmes. Lounge access is a godsend if you're travelling often for business and you'll end up getting better seating and occasional upgrades into business class for EU commuter flights.

Pack earplugs, paracetamol, eye drops if it's a long flight, always carry a snickers/mars etc and if you can manage it rather than bitching about the price of the sandwiches or how you should have had the breakfast before leaving. For your own sake, travel with carry on baggage only if it's possible. Put your phone, headphones into your pocket before you board. Don't ever be the dick standing in the way or fidgeting constantly with their bag looking for their stuff. It's annoying and completely unnecessary. Sit down and shut up. If it looks like the person beside you is a business traveller, leave them alone and let them write up their notes or just enjoy the peace and quiet at the end of their day. Your trip to visit your favourite kickey ball team stadium is unlikely to be the highlight of their day. Amazing how many people think everyone's on a day off or going on their holidays. Air travel is like taking a Bus Eireann commuter for many.

If you're a smoker, don't be a dick. Get some nicorette or whatever and try not to chain smoke 3 fags before sitting in the middle of a load of people who have to put up with the stench off you. It's disgusting. You not liking me saying that doesn't change the fact. If you can manage a few hours without smoking by using a substitute you'll be less stressed trying to find a smoking area coming through the airport and can get settled in on the flight without coughing and wheezing and wondering why people are turning on the air supply when you sit down beside them. No need to argue with me over this. Smokers don't get it usually but everyone else does.

If you have to check your bags in, don't rush like an eejit to the baggage hall only to stand around for 15 minutes, right up against the belt, as though somebody's watching the CCTV and will see that your bag should come up the ramp first because you're so determined. Relax. If it's made it to the airport, it'll be there. Grab a trolley and stand back so people can get their bags when they're on the belt while you wait for yours.

Don't clap. People who clap when the plane lands are signalling to everyone else that they're inbred. If you clap when the plane lands, your mother plays the banjo while your daddy paddles the canoe. Just don't do it. Ever.

Are you Michael OLeary ???
    Id say your a pleasure to travel with .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

bada_bing wrote: »

Maybe I'm missing something but but not being able to fly due to medical emergence would in my opinion involve evidence of said medical emergency at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

greenspurs wrote: »

I'd say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

While the tone of the post may not be to everyone's taste for the most part what that poster is saying is correct by and large.

It also outlines the sort of behavior that can make busy airports a nightmare to navigate especially if you are pushed for time but even on any given ordinary day also.

At airports people just seem to loose awareness of those around them. Airports with security and what not are a pain in the hole these days at the best of times so I just think it's a good thing that people think of others and not do stupid stuff and think about ways to make their own journey and that of others a little more easy and pleasant overall...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

I always put an empty water bottle (usually a sports bottle but sometimes a normal ballygowan plastic bottle) in my hand luggage and then ask at one of the bars beyond security for it to be filled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Im pretty sure the OP was "Airport Tips and Tricks" ...
    All we are getting is people and their "DONT" lists ...
    There are enough rules in airports without passengers making up more !

Why pick out me? I posted that 2 months ago, and my list was far less comprehensive.

There also tips, if you don't like them, there's nothing compelling you from not following them providing you don't mind angry glares.

Advertisement