Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I always put an empty water bottle (usually a sports bottle but sometimes a normal ballygowan plastic bottle) in my hand luggage and then ask at one of the bars beyond security for it to be filled!

I tried that with a stainless steel bottle once out of Dallas, and they wouldn't let it through. Of course, that was six or seven years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I never had any trouble when it was an ordinary plastic sports bottle. In fact I used to take collapsible bottles (the type made of flexible plastic that you can suck the air out and roll up like plastic bags) quite regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Likewise, been bringing the same rigid 500ml empty plastic bottle through security for years. Fill it at water fountains, airside.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

The rules are against bringing liquids through. There are no rules for empty containers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

This is not true of most airports. In fact I've drank the rest of my water before handing it to the security guy to throw it away, only to have him ask if I wanted to keep it now that it was empty.
    I've brought empty bottles for refilling before too, like other posters.
    dohouch wrote: »
    Likewise, been bringing the same rigid 500ml empty plastic bottle through security for years. Fill it at water fountains, airside.

Unfortunately the only airport I found with water fountains was Frankfurt. Where do you fill up your water bottle in Dublin? That's the one that gets me usually, though I don't mind dropping a Euro for one of those 500ml bottles they have at honesty stands on your walk to the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Thud

Does anyone know how people are at the gate so early? When I goto the airport I am there about an hour and a half early. I get through security and then I am waiting for my gate to be displayed. As soon as the gate is displayed I walk (speed walk/run) to get there first. I like to line up as soon as I get there so I am able to be one of the first on the plane. I don't bother paying for priority. I was wondering, how is there always peope at the gate when I get there. I don't see anyone in front of me when I walk to the gate but they are there. Its not a big deal, but how do people know the gate early? or am I being stupid?
    bit late to reply to this but if you are in Dublin Airport, the departures/arrivals screens upstairs beside Burger King in T1 will display the gates before most other screens do. They know the gate from when check in open but would prefer to keep you shopping in the Loop shops instead of overcrowding the gate areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Also, if you regularly fly the same route, you'll find it uses the same gate/area pretty often. Some can be guessed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

andersat2 wrote: »
    Dublin Airport tips and tricks:

T1: if you flying with Ryanair, SAS, WOW- you gates will be 100s, TurkishAirlines, Lufthansa, Ethiopians - 300s. CityJet - 200s.

Don't Ryanair flight's operate from the 200's in the morning too?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Don't Ryanair flight's operate from the 200's in the morning too?

95% Ryanair fligts operates from 100s gates (previously known as D terminal).
    yes it could be some extraordinary events of depature from 200 gates, but very rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Here is a list of what piers each airline uses so you can go to your gate in advance if you which. Be warned that if you are going to Pier 2, once you go through the security doors you cannot return (as departing and arriving passengers mix), so don't take any chances with Pier 2.

Piers (gate areas) for airlines (except charter airlines which vary a lot):
    • Aer Lingus (Europe) - Pier 4, except some flights in mornings; Pier 3
    • Aer Lingus (transatlantic) - Pier 4
    • Aer Lingus Regional - Pier 3 bus gates
    • Air Canada - Pier 3
    • Air France - Pier 2
    • Air Moldova - Pier 3
    • Air Transat - Pier 3
    • American - Pier 4
    • Arkia - Pier 3
    • British Airways - Pier 2/3
    • CityJet - Pier 2
    • Delta - Pier 4
    • Emirates - Pier 4
    • Ethiopian - Pier 3
    • Etihad - Pier 4
    • Finnair - Pier 3
    • Flybe - Pier 2
    • Germanwings - Pier 3
    • Iberia- Pier 3
    • Lufthansa - Pier 3
    • Luxair - Pier 1
    • Norwegian - Pier 1
    • Ryanair - Pier 1, except some flights in mornings; Pier 2
    • S7 - Pier 3
    • SAS- Pier 1
    • SWISS - Pier 3
    • Transavia - Pier 1
    • Turkish - Pier 3
    • United - Pier 4
    • Vueling - Pier 3
    • WestJet - Pier 3
    • WOW Air - Pier 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

yes it could be some extraordinary events of depature from 200 gates, but very rare.

It's not that rare, I have checked the Dublin Airport app a few times for early morning Ryanair flights and there are always a few that go from Pier 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you don't know what you are talking about then don't give the advice. Ryanair operate out of the 200 gates daily. Most notably during the first wave of departures in the morning. This is per the DAA stand allocation, is scheduled and nothing extraordinary in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Gatica wrote: »

Unfortunately the only airport I found with water fountains was Frankfurt. Where do you fill up your water bottle in Dublin? That's the one that gets me usually, though I don't mind dropping a Euro for one of those 500ml bottles they have at honesty stands on your walk to the gate.

I'm not sure about T1, but in T2 there are drinking water fountains outside the toilets over in the far corner beside the Irish souvenir shop/ foreign exchange desk and also at the bottom of the escalator to access the gates. I always bring my empty reusable water bottle that is 500 ml with me and refill here. I usually leave the lid off in the bag, not sure if that shows up in the X-ray screen but thinking it makes it easier of them to see it isn't carrying liquid. Never been questioned about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Rather than starting a new thread, I'm just looking for some tips on what I can actually leave out of the small plastic bag for security to create extra space.
    Usually I just try and cram everything in (cosmetics and paracetamol) but on my next trip I want to bring a tube of Berocca with me and am wondering do I have to try and squeeze that tube into the small plastic bag too?
    Technically speaking, paracetamol and berocca aren't liquids so I guess I can just keep them packed in my cabin bag?

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Rather than starting a new thread, I'm just looking for some tips on what I can actually leave out of the small plastic bag for security to create extra space.
    Usually I just try and cram everything in (cosmetics and paracetamol) but on my next trip I want to bring a tube of Berocca with me and am wondering do I have to try and squeeze that tube into the small plastic bag too?
    Technically speaking, paracetamol and berocca aren't liquids so I guess I can just keep them packed in my cabin bag?

Medications that are not liquids, creams, or gels do not need to go in your plastic bag.

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/passenger-information/airport-security/faqs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Gatica wrote: »
    Where do you fill up your water bottle in Dublin? That's the one that gets me usually, though I don't mind dropping a Euro for one of those 500ml bottles they have at honesty stands on your walk to the gate.

I think there are water fountains on pier D, but on last occasion the one on the right hand side didn't work and and the one on the left disappeared behind some building work

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Minimal liquids is the key. What do you absolutely NEED unless you are going to the Sahara Desert? Your fave face cream? lip gloss? I just don't get it. My plastic bag has face cream, lippie, deodorant, fave toothpaste, all tiny sizes. I pick up soap bars in every hotel I'm in, they are great for travelling as they don't need to go in the liquids bag.

The only extra I bring is a small spray bottle with decanted Febreze in there. A godsend to freshen clothes up when away just for a few days!

Everything else you can buy when you get there.

I also put EVERYTHIMG vaguely electrical in a larger ziplock like chargers, earphones, back up power pack, phone, tablet, anything like that. Makes things so simple for security and easy to find when you get to your destination without having to root out and untangle all the wires!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JohnnySmiles

Hello all,
    This August I'll be going on my first holiday to England and I'm basically here to get any advice on dealing with the process of checking in to the airport and stuff like that. Any tips on luggage, what I can't bring and so on would be great and just any tips at all really. I will be bringing food like jellies, chocolates and stuff so any tips on food in airports would be great too. I assume processed and sealed food like chocolate and jellies would be fine but what do I know? I haven't bought any luggage or anything so any suggestions would be cool but that's not the major stuff I need info on. Any help at all or links and the like would be great. Thanks very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

The first time i was in an airport, i was lost, i hadn't a clue what to do.

Anyway, you can normally bring a carry on bag less than 10kg (or is it 7kg).

You can also have a bigger bag that you leave at a baggage drop off and they will tag your bag to your destination.

After this, you proceed through security. You're not allowed any fluids, they will make you dump your water. You can have a small zip lock bag with 1litre worth of creams, shampoo, toothpaste. Travel size bottles are best.

They will ask you to remove your shoes, your belt, jacket, empty pockets which you place your items into a tray. You have to take out your small zip lock bag as well, your laptop or tablet and place them all into a tray.

The trays and your carry on bags get scanned, while you step into a scanner as well.

You then leave security and there are shops at Dublin airport after security. There will be signs here telling you what gate to go to board your flight. The gate is just a waiting area. Follow the signs and it's very hard not to get lost.

If it's your first time, give yourself plenty of time and there are restaurants after security if you have time.

There's no issue bringing food to the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Tip from my pharmacist, if you are prone to sinus problems take some medication the night before and day of flying.

Tip from family member working at screening in airport, prescription medication should be in original container with pharmacy printed label with your name.

Selfies/photos are not allowed in screening area.

When travelling with checked in luggage check the price of the non budget airlines as many have free luggage and a good allowance. I always travel Air France to France (and Europe and long hail) as it works out cheaper for me, they also give you meals, drinks and a paper.

I drink a lot of water all the time. If travelling long haul we use the lounge and I stock up on a few bottles there, I also take a packet of crisps and a pack of crackers just in case we get delayed at the other end (immigration in Egypt once took over two hours).

Lip balm, moisturiser and eye drops are good for long haul, as is a pair of slipper socks and a baggy tracksuit.

Have detailed address of where you are staying handy, not just for immigration purposes but also for lost luggage. Take a photo on your phone of your luggage when packed to show lost luggage.

Regarding the seats, I'm the opposite of most with problems, I'm very short and my feet don't reach the ground. It can get very uncomfortable sitting with your legs dangling. Instead of putting my bag in overhead luggage I put it under seat in front and then once we take off I pull it out and rest my feet on it (did this all through school and college with my feet on my schoolbag).

Be polite and smile at everyone you come in contact with.

OP, what airline are you flying with ? If we knew that we could give you more precise tips about the airport, baggage allowances etc etc...

Checkin :

As you are only bringing hand luggage you wont need to use a check-in desk and you can check in and produce you own boarding pass on your PC via the airlines website and print it off, the airline's mobile app ( you will use the barcode on the phone as the boarding pass), standalone self service kiosks (Aer Lingus & BA) or the check-in desk if your prefer (Ryanair will charge you a big fee for doing this). Hand luggage allowances vary so check your airlines website, save me typing it all up here ;)

Security Screening :

All containers of liquids, gels, pastes and aerosols must be 100ml or below in capacity or else it will be confiscated. Bear in mind a half full 150ml bottle will still be confiscated even though there could be less then 100ml in it. The 100ml containers need to be put into a sealable see through plastic bag, you can get them in supermarkets or at the airport, Get it in the supermarket and pack in advance.
    To make life easier all coins, keys, phone, jewelry or indeed anything metallic will set off the metal detector so have all that stuff in a jacket pocket or a pocket in your bag.
    All laptops and tablets will have to be taken out of your bag and placed in a tray to be x-rayed. Your jacket and carry on luggage the same as well as your bag of cosmetics.
    make sure you take all your belongings with you I often see people in a hurry and confused by the whole thing and walk away and forget a passport, phone or boarding card.

After Screening :

Fist thing check on the departure boards what gate your flight is leaving from. Reference the flight number specifically rather then just the time, destination or airline as many airlines often have flights to the same destination in and around the same time.
    If the gate is not available check back frequently. If you have a smartphone the Dublin Airport app will display it sooner then the displays.
    The will be shops a plenty and bars and restaurants so you wont want for anything to kill the time but also keep track of time as it can be a long walk to some of the gates. You should aim to be AT your gate 45 minutes at the very least before departure.
    Keep an eye out for the screen at the gate and an ear open for any announcement that relate to boarding.

Other then that since you are new to it get there about two and a half hours before the flight departs so you can be relaxed and not in a hurry. Ohh and don't forget your passport !

*Also have a browse through the Airport Tips and Tricks sticky at the top of the page.. some good stuff in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

You are not allowed remove any food or drink from the airport lounges though, they must all be consumed within the lounge itself.

You are not allowed remove any food or drink from the airport lounges though, they must all be consumed within the lounge itself.

Forget that there are ways and means :pac:, just take whatever back to your seat, have your bag beside you at your feet in a strategically placed position and when the lounge dragons are not paying attention take what ya want. It's a dumb rule after all you are paying for the thing either through points or up front payment.

Think most of them wouldn't say much if you walked out with a can of coke and a Danish though. The bottle of Baileys and or 6 cans of Guinness would be a different story. :D

I generally just grab one or two things like two of those cheeses and a coke or something to take away...**** em ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

I want to thank all posters that mentioned to check the Dublin airport app for the gate number, I flew last week and the gate number wasn't mentioned in the screens but it was in the app :D.
    In fact this trick can be used in many airports, I came back today and I reached the airport 50 min before boarding, I was well able to check the hall number and the gate number on my phone and I made it on time ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Thanks, I didn't know that. But Ive never had a problem with it, I suppose I'm not stocking up for the day...just a bottle of water and what is usually an open pack of crisps. Lounge in CDG Paris is good, full meals at lunch and dinner time and well worth it if you have a few hours stopover and need to eat anyway.

For ladies, if possible don't wear an underwire bra. Some of them do set off the beepers and they have to check its your bra.
    I wear soft flat shoes and rarely have had to take them off, I always lift my foot and ask if I need to take them off and the answer is usually no, its fine.

Use smaller airports if possible when travelling, Shannon and Cork are so much quicker than Dublin for parking, walking, screening, car hire...everything. There are good services to Bordeaux, Toulouse, Nice, Carcassonne, Rennes, Perpignan and many more. (arrivals in Perpignan is a portakabin). Consider your travel from the airport to your destination, its easy to be drawn in by cheap flights but how much will it cost you then in transfers, taxis, buses, coaches from the airport. London City airport is also small and convenient and much closer to the city centre so less is taxi/bus/train fare. And a great view when landing.

Cost is a huge factor when flying but look at all the costs, onward travel, food/drink, luggage, check in cost, assisted boarding, priority boarding and your comfort and convenience before just booking the cheapest flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

without being a bit of an auld racist here , if there is an evidently foreign fellow or lady in the security queue ahead of you , change queue immediately. 9/10 times they have something they shouldn't in the old carry on and 10/10 times they will either argue with the security guys or worse ask a million questions slows you down something fierce.

without being a bit of an auld racist here , if there is an evidently foreign fellow or lady in the security queue ahead of you , change queue immediately. 9/10 times they have something they shouldn't in the old carry on and 10/10 times they will either argue with the security guys or worse ask a million questions slows you down something fierce.

That's not exactly racist (and I would tell you if I thought it was). It's more like not getting behind someone with a heaping full cart of groceries and three children at Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Speedwell wrote: »
    That's not exactly racist (and I would tell you if I thought it was). It's more like not getting behind someone with a heaping full cart of groceries and three children at Lidl.

Also avoid security queues with family's were possible particularly for early flights that's a disaster too

• Advertisement

Also avoid security queues with family's were possible particularly for early flights that's a disaster too

For the months of July and August, take a chill pill before going to the airport. Full of families on every queue. In fact, best not to fly during school holidays.

Advertisement