Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

FYI, this is only for flights before 7:35AM. I assume you get notified if your flight qualifies.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

stimpson wrote: »
    FYI, this is only for flights before 7:35AM. I assume you get notified if your flight qualifies.

On the two occasions I've had early flights, I've received notification after checking-in on line.

Other flights have been in the evening so I wasn't expecting notification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

If there's a passport control on the way out ask if there's an EU citizens line. There often is but it gets missed because all the sheeple crowd around going for the "all passengers" option...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Turtle_ wrote: »
    If there's a passport control on the way out ask if there's an EU citizens line. There often is but it gets missed because all the sheeple crowd around going for the "all passengers" option...

By the same token, I've seen everyone head for the EU line, leaving the all passenger's line empty - it seems first person off the plane gets to pick the queue for everyone else :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Thoie wrote: »
    By the same token, I've seen everyone head for the EU line, leaving the all passenger's line empty - it seems first person off the plane gets to pick the queue for everyone else :)

Yeah!

Actually now that you say it there does seem to be a pattern - off the plane the EU line is jammed, trying to get onto the plane the all passports line is jammed.

Sheeple!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

At least flying into/out of UK, the EU citizen queue should be much shorter now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I read a tip somewhere else. If you're flying somewhere with a different time, change your watch on the plane before you take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

They usually announce local time on the plane at landing, I change my watch then usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

With most people having smart phones nowadays, you can just set your timezone on the phone

even the old school phones always did this as well.

• Advertisement

With most people having smart phones nowadays, you can just set your timezone on the phone

even the old school phones always did this as well.

My phone picks up the time from the Network it connects to, therefore automatically adjusts to local time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

This post has been deleted.

Didnt know you could do that! Will look into it. Heading to the US in August so would probably be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JohnnySmiles

Cool thanks for all the help :) i havent picked an airport of or anything like that yet cause im still waiting on dates when ill be going. any suggestions on which is best and who i should fly with?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Cool thanks for all the help :) i havent picked an airport of or anything like that yet cause im still waiting on dates when ill be going. any suggestions on which is best and who i should fly with?

Are you replying to this post?
    The Raptor wrote: »
    The first time i was in an airport, i was lost, i hadn't a clue what to do.

Anyway, you can normally bring a carry on bag less than 10kg (or is it 7kg).

You can also have a bigger bag that you leave at a baggage drop off and they will tag your bag to your destination.

After this, you proceed through security. You're not allowed any fluids, they will make you dump your water. You can have a small zip lock bag with 1litre worth of creams, shampoo, toothpaste. Travel size bottles are best.

They will ask you to remove your shoes, your belt, jacket, empty pockets which you place your items into a tray. You have to take out your small zip lock bag as well, your laptop or tablet and place them all into a tray.

The trays and your carry on bags get scanned, while you step into a scanner as well.

You then leave security and there are shops at Dublin airport after security. There will be signs here telling you what gate to go to board your flight. The gate is just a waiting area. Follow the signs and it's very hard not to get lost.

If it's your first time, give yourself plenty of time and there are restaurants after security if you have time.

There's no issue bringing food to the UK.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Was going to do usual the "check bags in night before" routine tonight for the annual holiday tomorrow at 7am but see that Aer Lingus now have a DIY check in option with 40 self serve kiosks available.

Has anyone used this at peak hours - does it work ? I am a belt and braces person so might go in tonight anyway and see if they will allow me to use them tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've used them recently. They're really well designed and easy to use. A good idea from AL.

I will go up tonight and then observe again tomorrow am and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dolallyoh wrote: »
    I will go up tonight and then observe again tomorrow am and report back.

Last time I did the 'evening before' check-in to get rid of my bags, there was a discrepancy between the actual times it operated and the times stated on the AL website. I checked in my bag at 4:05 p.m. and the signs in the checkin-in area said it started at 4 pm. but the AL website still says it starts at 5 p.m. I notified them about this last September but the website still says 5 p.m.

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/check-in-options/airport/

So when you're reporting back, could you check this please based on what the staff or the signs say in the airport. It's an important issue if you live on the southside because the port tunnel charge (northbound) goes up from €3 to €10 at 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. or later is no good because you'd get the rush hour traffic all the way back.

Will do

• Advertisement

So been there and all done. Yes definitely open at 4.30pm and probably a lot earlier. No signs I could see for times.
    I had a problem (see below) so couldn't make time to ask specifically about it.

So tootled up at 4.30pm and sure enough its mainly all kiosks now - no humans. God bless robots.

Had 4 boarding passes and 2 paid 20kg bags. No sign of which boarding pass owns the bag (in this case I was 99% sure which 2 had the bags bought). Scanned first bag 22.5kg and my tag for the handle printed out. Scanned second and it said "over limit 19..5kg - seek an agent". So queued for the guy who is nearby. He said - "Could be that the bag is on another boarding pass, try them all and if no luck join the Excess baggage queue." This part will cause mayhem tomorrow am I reckon - think they only have one error message - not sure.

Joined the queue for excess (1 person dealing with excess) and there was no hassle at all to check the bags in. Though the kiosks said I was 2kg over the excess baggage belt weighed them in at 20.8 and 19.2. Aer lingus rarely quibble about weight anyway but the kiosks will dispatch you to the excess queue if you are 1 gram overweight.

So amazingly despite it being busy I was only faffing for about 5 mins.

If you have hand luggage with some room I would suggest weigh all the suitcases without scanning the boarding pass and see what weight it gives (not 100% sure if you can get weight before scanning - you could find a old fashioned belt elsewhere to weigh) and redistribute the weight. Once happy then scan because once you scan your first pass you are 100% committed because you arent allowed change the weight of the bag after that label prints (it is weighed again on the drop belt). And if you are over then its off to the excess queue with you.

I'd probably not use the night before next time - just make absolutely sure I have < paid for weight before scanning at kiosk.

Staff were great. Short term was 95% full, incredible money spinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

I haven't checked in a bag in yrs and just wondering how this goes in Shannon with Ryanair..is it a free for all the desks the morning of the flight..do we need our passports and tickets.whata this bag drop thing do we print our own labels ??? Sorry confused.com

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JohnnySmiles

Esel wrote: »
    Are you replying to this post?

Yeah sorry and this one too.

Strumms wrote: »
    OP, what airline are you flying with ? If we knew that we could give you more precise tips about the airport, baggage allowances etc etc...

Checkin :

As you are only bringing hand luggage you wont need to use a check-in desk and you can check in and produce you own boarding pass on your PC via the airlines website and print it off, the airline's mobile app ( you will use the barcode on the phone as the boarding pass), standalone self service kiosks (Aer Lingus & BA) or the check-in desk if your prefer (Ryanair will charge you a big fee for doing this). Hand luggage allowances vary so check your airlines website, save me typing it all up here ;)

Security Screening :

All containers of liquids, gels, pastes and aerosols must be 100ml or below in capacity or else it will be confiscated. Bear in mind a half full 150ml bottle will still be confiscated even though there could be less then 100ml in it. The 100ml containers need to be put into a sealable see through plastic bag, you can get them in supermarkets or at the airport, Get it in the supermarket and pack in advance.
    To make life easier all coins, keys, phone, jewelry or indeed anything metallic will set off the metal detector so have all that stuff in a jacket pocket or a pocket in your bag.
    All laptops and tablets will have to be taken out of your bag and placed in a tray to be x-rayed. Your jacket and carry on luggage the same as well as your bag of cosmetics.
    make sure you take all your belongings with you I often see people in a hurry and confused by the whole thing and walk away and forget a passport, phone or boarding card.

After Screening :

Fist thing check on the departure boards what gate your flight is leaving from. Reference the flight number specifically rather then just the time, destination or airline as many airlines often have flights to the same destination in and around the same time.
    If the gate is not available check back frequently. If you have a smartphone the Dublin Airport app will display it sooner then the displays.
    The will be shops a plenty and bars and restaurants so you wont want for anything to kill the time but also keep track of time as it can be a long walk to some of the gates. You should aim to be AT your gate 45 minutes at the very least before departure.
    Keep an eye out for the screen at the gate and an ear open for any announcement that relate to boarding.

Other then that since you are new to it get there about two and a half hours before the flight departs so you can be relaxed and not in a hurry. Ohh and don't forget your passport !

*Also have a browse through the Airport Tips and Tricks sticky at the top of the page.. some good stuff in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What's the story with taking stuff out weighing it and tagging it, then putting stuff on and putting it on the belt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Its weighed when you use the machine

When you drop it on the belt, the tag is scanned and if the weight matches it is accepted

So if you try to stuff the bag after the tag is printed you will get caught out

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Has anybody here used it when connecting with an onwards flight , via Heatrow for example. Specifically when the ticket end to end is with a partner airline, Virgin, but the first leg is an actual EI plane. I'd prefer to use this than have to queue to drop off the bags. For sure I know I can check in on line, just the bag drop I'm asking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's often unattended check-in desks elsewhere in the terminal where you can weigh your bag.

And for Aer Lingus.... remember that on a group booking they allow weight aggregation meaning that if you pay for (e.g.) 2 x 15 kgs bags, it's ok if one bag is over the limit provided that the total weight does not exceed 30 kgs. The trick then is to always leave the heavier bag(s) until last so it's possible that if the OP had tagged the lighter bag first, there might not have been a problem with the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Thoie wrote: »

While this makes sense, I have seen people re directed back into the EU line..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

sunny2004 wrote: »

Yes it's nonsensical. The DAA drones are just told what to do by the Guards. The signage should just have 'EU Passports' and 'Non-EU Passports' and be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

sunny2004 wrote: »
    degsie wrote: »
    Yes it's nonsensical. The DAA drones are just told what to do by the Guards. The signage should just have 'EU Passports' and 'Non-EU Passports' and be done with it.

I've got an Irish passport and never been told to leave the All Passport queue and go to the EU line instead. Obviously depends on who's on duty at the time.

Advertisement