Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

degsie wrote: »
    Didn't know there is a rail service to the airport...

'The airport' ?? What airport ? The thread isn't about a particular airport. Lots of them have a rail service. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

This post has been deleted.

Try and keep a few single dollar bills for tipping so that you don't get caught accidentally having to tip $5 instead of 3/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Going to a wedding in UK, (Manchester) in August, outward flight is Aer Lingus, return is Stobart for EI. Any info I could find re bringing a suit bag as carry on luggage is 4 years old so has anyone recent experience of bringing one? Will we have to check it in? Dont mind if everything gets squashed on return flight., It's Stobart with only 7kg allowance so will prob have to check in. However, apart from cost we're under time constraints outbound so would prefer carry-on only. Thanks to posters for all the useful info in this thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Going to a wedding in UK, (Manchester) in August, outward flight is Aer Lingus, return is Stobart for EI. Any info I could find re bringing a suit bag as carry on luggage is 4 years old so has anyone recent experience of bringing one? Will we have to check it in? Dont mind if everything gets squashed on return flight., It's Stobart with only 7kg allowance so will prob have to check in. However, apart from cost we're under time constraints outbound so would prefer carry-on only. Thanks to posters for all the useful info in this thread

Could you post it, or get someone else at the wedding to post it back?
    Most suits weigh between 1.5 and 2kg, so i don't think it would be exorbitant for the cheaper parcel services from the UK. If you could fit it in what they call a 'large envelope' it would be even cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

^^^^^^^

Post it via Parcel Motel* and it might work out even cheaper as it would only be UK to UK post not International.

*or any of the other drop box options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sooner or later the Fastrack will become busier than the ordinary Q for security especially early in the morning or in the High Season.

But I suppose many will not pay the small price for it, so I could be wrong too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

When you say suit bag, do you mean just a suit in its zipped cover from the store? We had one travelling to France with Ryanair last week in addition to the carry on luggage. There were no issues either going or returning with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Gatica wrote: »
    When you say suit bag, do you mean just a suit in its zipped cover from the store? We had one travelling to France with Ryanair last week in addition to the carry on luggage. There were no issues either going or returning with it.

There's a difference between flying with Ryanair and Stobart - due to the smaller aircraft size, Stobart have very strict cabin baggage regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Flying into Tours, France, in May it took over an hour for one Ryanair plane to clear passport control. Police / passport scanned every passport and cross checked every person with the flight manifest. Don't know if everywhere in France is the same but be prepared for long delays if it is. EU or nonEU

I've been through Tours several times and always very quick. Maybe a one-off special exercise or something, ahead of the Euros?

We once took at least an hour going through CDG. They weren't paying special attention to passports/identities - I think two or three flights arrived in a short space of time and they weren't ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Thoie wrote: »
    I just bring one of these if I'm going to Europe instead.

Hey, I never knew those existed! Will get one as I'll be needing it soon.

Also, I use one of these things when travelling: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Syncwire-International-Adaptor-Interchangeable/dp/B011KPRE1G/ - it makes a huge difference. I have a cheap Penneys washbag where I keep this plus spare leads, and I never use the things at home. By keeping everything permanently in the washbag, never taking them out except when travelling abroad, I never suddenly discover I've left a vital charger or lead at home when I turn up in a place where I don't speak the language and don't know where the right shops are for an emergency charger or lead.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for replies re suit, yes just ordinary zipped suit bag from store. Aer Lingus going out, Stobart back so dont mind rolling it in a ball for trip back if could bring as carry on on way out as poster did with Ryanair. Parcel Motel not practical as, we'll be tight for time on arrival in Manchester and suit would probably need pressing, plus our local pm depot has just moved from three minutes down the road to the other side of town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Can't imagine it being a problem tbh, just try to board early. You're allowed your hand luggage plus one personal item like handbag or laptop bag. I'd be hugely surprised if they got antsy about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

The posting of the suit was a way to get it home due to smaller baggage allowance, and condition on arrival home not being overly important, creases etc. You could make a small package of clothing and post it home. I'm sure if you are staying in a hotel they would help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭cobham

I think the key thing is its 'squashability' ... can it be squeezed into the dimensions specified for hand luggage? Certainly things have become very relaxed with Ryanair and Aer Lingus always more obliging. You could always were the suit for return trip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Thanks all for replies re suit, yes just ordinary zipped suit bag from store. Aer Lingus going out, Stobart back so dont mind rolling it in a ball for trip back if could bring as carry on on way out as poster did with Ryanair. Parcel Motel not practical as, we'll be tight for time on arrival in Manchester and suit would probably need pressing, plus our local pm depot has just moved from three minutes down the road to the other side of town!

You don't have to use Parcel Motel to post the suit back home - Royal Mail will be fine, especially if your flight weight limit is going to be exceeded otherwise. We were about 4kgs over our limit after one holiday and it as much cheaper to post a parcel home than pay extra baggage.

Another option (though the weight issue will still come into play) is to use a vacuum storage bag on the way home. It's amazing how compact clothes become - and you don't even need to use a vacuum with most of them - just squeeze all the air out with pressure. You can buy them in a pound shop. I use them all the time now for travelling.

I don't think you'll have any problem with the suit as carry-on on the flight out. I have seen some enormous pieces of carry-on luggage on both Ryanair and Aer Lingus recently that I was sure would be turned away!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

RoYoBo wrote: »
    You don't have to use Parcel Motel to post the suit back home - Royal Mail will be fine, especially if your flight weight limit is going to be exceeded otherwise. We were about 4kgs over our limit after one holiday and it as much cheaper to post a parcel home than pay extra baggage.

Another option (though the weight issue will still come into play) is to use a vacuum storage bag on the way home. It's amazing how compact clothes become - and you don't even need to use a vacuum with most of them - just squeeze all the air out with pressure. You can buy them in a pound shop. I use them all the time now for travelling.

I don't think you'll have any problem with the suit as carry-on on the flight out. I have seen some enormous pieces of carry-on luggage on both Ryanair and Aer Lingus recently that I was sure would be turned away!

Same here. Lately Ryanair are totally relaxed about the luggage and you can even just check it in for free at the desk, or give it to the baggage handlers before you board the plane. I've seen people with big backpacks and another big bag even with a 3rd plastic bag getting on board without a fuss.

If there's nothing valuable in my carry on suitcase, I have no issues checking it in for free. You don't have to queue whatsoever to board the flight and when you get the boarding pass scanned, you can just hand over your bag to the handlers outside of the plane. Easy peasy.

Haven't been on too many Aer lingus lately, but have to give credit to Ryanair these days.

Thanks all again! Yes 2 x 10 kg over, 2 x 7 kg back so obvious answer is to post 6 kg! and had forgotten about vacuum bags!

-=al=- wrote: »

If there's nothing valuable in my carry on suitcase, I have no issues checking it in for free. You don't have to queue whatsoever to board the flight and when you get the boarding pass scanned, you can just hand over your bag to the handlers outside of the plane. Easy peasy.

For those who have hold luggage, just ask at the check-in desk to get them to take your carry-on into the hold as well at the same time. Much less hassle as you wait to board and negotiate the shops etc.

Keep valuables etc in the handbag/manbag, which almost acts as another free bag ;) Mine has got progressively bigger in recent times, with no comment passed and never been weighed either. Despite initial misgivings, OH now carries a sizable manbag (on flights only!) and it really expands our capacity.

Just to reiterate - the flight under discussion above is operated by Aer Lingus Regional (Stobart Air), operated by an ATR72, and on those flights only one piece of cabin baggage under 7kg and within the limits of 48 x 33 x 20cm is allowed.

Aer Lingus Regional flights do not allow a second personal item on top of that bag.

People keep making comments about Ryanair or Aer Lingus - they are different airlines with bigger aircraft and bigger cabins.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Just to reiterate - the flight under discussion above is operated by Aer Lingus Regional (Stobart Air), operated by an ATR72, and on those flights only one piece of cabin baggage under 7kg and within the limits of 48 x 33 x 20cm is allowed.

Aer Lingus Regional flights do not allow a second personal item on top of that bag.

People keep making comments about Ryanair or Aer Lingus - they are different airlines with bigger aircraft and bigger cabins.

Yeah and the crew would probably be happy to stick it in their area given its a wedding. Seriously, wouldn't overthink it.

• Advertisement

Turtle_ wrote: »
    Yeah and the crew would probably be happy to stick it in their area given its a wedding. Seriously, wouldn't overthink it.

I'm just making the general point that the restrictions are greater on Aer Lingus Regional - people were talking about second bags etc. and that doesn't apply in this case.

I'm not overthinking anything - just pointing out the incorrect information that some posters are posting here.

I'm just making the general point that the restrictions are greater on Aer Lingus Regional - people were talking about second bags etc. and that doesn't apply in this case.

I'm not overthinking anything - just pointing out the incorrect information that some posters are posting here.

Sorry I was unclear, I meant the poster asking the question shouldn't be overthinking it. It's a suit, like seriously it's ALMOST like asking if you'll be allowed on with your winter coat

This is a general thread for airport tips and tricks - not just a reply to the poster with the suit problem. The best advice given to him related to the postage of the suit on the way back if he was over the limit. The rest of the information belonged to the generic thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 orlaithmum

dolallyoh wrote: »

Staff were great. Short term was 95% full, incredible money spinner.

When I the 'checking bags in the night before' thing last year, Aer Lingus provided 1 hour free parking in the short term car park. I had to ask for it though, they weren't volunteering and there were no signs up saying it was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

I used this system 3 weeks ago or an early morning flight to Munich. It was a complete shambles, people everywhere, bags everywhere, belts breaking down with every bag, not enough aer lingus staff to cope with the crowds. Complete chaos, bring back the old system.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

orlaithmum wrote: »
    When I the 'checking bags in the night before' thing last year, Aer Lingus provided 1 hour free parking in the short term car park. I had to ask for it though, they weren't volunteering and there were no signs up saying it was available.

DAA runs the car parks, can you tell us physically how Aer Lingus were able to give you free parking - did they validate your ticket like Tesco in Dundrum or Bloomfield or did they give you a different ticket to exit the car park without paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 orlaithmum

They gave me a ticket that was worth 1 hours parking in the short term car park, I just put it in instead of money.

Anyone got idea of how long before the flight it's best to be at Dublin airport for doing the US preclearance?

If our bus arrives 2 hours before the flight, would that be enough or would we be rushing for checkin, bit of food, preclearance..?
    I would also like to change our assigned seats on the flight, as couldn't do it over phone with Aerlingus.

Gatica wrote: »
    Anyone got idea of how long before the flight it's best to be at Dublin airport for doing the US preclearance?

If our bus arrives 2 hours before the flight, would that be enough or would we be rushing for checkin, bit of food, preclearance..?
    I would also like to change our assigned seats on the flight, as couldn't do it over phone with Aerlingus.

Probably rushing. Preclearance can take an age. Pre-clearing to the USA I'd give it at least 3 hours... Even then it was down to the wire once standing in the queue for immigration...

Other times I've sailed through, so I think it depends on your flight time but if your flight leaves close to the departure time of other flights heading to the US it can get very slow and congested.

Can't you change your seats on the website?

• Advertisement

Thanks!
    Turtle_ wrote: »
    Can't you change your seats on the website?

nope :( seems Aerlingus requires you to pick seats during booking. I picked seats and now I need to sit on the outside and cannot change it online or through their agents. They suggested trying at the airport...

Advertisement