Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Gatica wrote: »
    nope :( seems Aerlingus requires you to pick seats during booking. I picked seats and now I need to sit on the outside and cannot change it online or through their agents. They suggested trying at the airport...

That's a nuisance, I often don't pick seats when I book and then select them when it becomes free (within 48 hours of departure I think?) so wasn't aware that you couldn't change once you'd picked them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We got off the bus at T2 instead of T1 last weekend.
    Thanks to a member of staff we got to know about the corridor connecting the terminals bringing us to security .......though I'm sure it's been mentioned here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Anyone got idea of how long before the flight it's best to be at Dublin airport for doing the US preclearance?

If our bus arrives 2 hours before the flight, would that be enough or would we be rushing for checkin, bit of food, preclearance..?
    I would also like to change our assigned seats on the flight, as couldn't do it over phone with Aerlingus.

I usually allow 3 hours for US flights (and that's what's recommended by the airlines), which gives me a little, but not much, time for a quick bite. With 2 hours you're really ruling out food or shopping - you're pretty much talking check-in, security, US immigration then go to gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

With AL can you book a childs 20kg bag and of course fill it will stuff for everyone (its half the price of an adults one)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

vicwatson wrote: »
    With AL can you book a childs 20kg bag and of course fill it will stuff for everyone (its half the price of an adults one)?
    Yes, but I believe you only get a half price bag for a child if you've paid for a similar (or bigger) bag for one of the Adults on the booking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Thoie wrote: »
    I usually allow 3 hours for US flights (and that's what's recommended by the airlines), which gives me a little, but not much, time for a quick bite. With 2 hours you're really ruling out food or shopping - you're pretty much talking check-in, security, US immigration then go to gate.

Thanks btw, we did this. 3 hours was definitely a better option and we weren't rushing. After getting some breakfast the rest of the time seemed to fly pretty quick and I imagine if there had been delay in going through security we'd have been feeling stressed. The US immigration though didn't open til something like 5.30am (?) though, so don't recommend people to go there prior or you're standing around til they open. Queue did fill up quick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Thanks btw, we did this. 3 hours was definitely a better option and we weren't rushing. After getting some breakfast the rest of the time seemed to fly pretty quick and I imagine if there had been delay in going through security we'd have been feeling stressed. The US immigration though didn't open til something like 5.30am (?) though, so don't recommend people to go there prior or you're standing around til they open. Queue did fill up quick though.

Hope you had a good trip! The queues are really unpredictable. I've tried using the Dublin airport app to get an idea of what the queues are like at the same time the week before, but it's not a guarantee. With four queues to get through (check in/bag drop, security, US security, US customs/immigration) the possibilities for a delay are greatly increased. Unlike European flights, I'd guesstimate that 99% of people on US flights are checking a bag, so there's a bigger queue than normal right from the start.

yep, good trip, thanks!

Btw, anyone used the T1 airport lounge? Any good? I've never used a lounge before and not sure what to expect to get for the money. I've a flight there in 2 weeks and would like to get to the airport early and relax there for a bit.

yep, good trip, thanks!

Btw, anyone used the T1 airport lounge? Any good? I've never used a lounge before and not sure what to expect to get for the money. I've a flight there in 2 weeks and would like to get to the airport early and relax there for a bit.

Yes, it's spacious, quiet and relaxed. You can help yourself to a limited selection of alcoholic and soft drinks as well as snacks.
    I spent about 2 hours there as I had to do work before my flight and it was worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Yes, it's spacious, quiet and relaxed. You can help yourself to a limited selection of alcoholic and soft drinks as well as snacks.
    I spent about 2 hours there as I had to do work before my flight and it was worth the money.
    the T1 lounge is not (edit: guaranteed to be...) quiet or relaxed.

Its badly designed, probably by a pub designer or some other misguided soul who thinks that people flying want to be grouped in groups of 4 and 6 and are there on some sort of social team bonding exercise, whereas in reality people flying would in the main be on their own or as a couple, and at a stretch more than 2 (maybe stag do trips ? ). So, starting off, the place is simply designed wrong.

So, if the place is empty, then maybe its quiet, and maybe relaxing. But if its a busy time of the day like late Sunday afternoon then you are getting to the stage that there's hardly a spare place to be had, and of course because the place is designed as a social meeting place for groups (which it isnt, as it should be quiet and relaxing) you have to go from table to table and enquire if any of the 4 chairs which are in the care of the person sitting there are free and would they mind you invading their space.

When I was using it was in April, not a warm time of the year, but the lounge was roasting which made the stay even more uncomfortable.

As for the food and drink, its fine and staff are fairly quick to spot if anythings missing. The food there isnt a replacement for a dinner, but it is spot on.

So my tip of the day would be to avoid the lounge on a busy time of day as the public areas are just as good and at least you can hide from the heat.
    And if enough have the smart idea to choose the lounge to escape the crowds, then you end up with more camped conditions there in the lounge than in the public areas.
    (yes, I sent a message to the airport but haven't heard a thing back as obviously they have enough paying customers so why would they need to improve, or bother to reply to suggestions)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Where is the lounge in T1?? Is it that pub located in front of the bag shop??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It's on the mezzanine level in the main terminal where the old bmi lounge used to be.

The entrance is beside security screening.

I got caught out earlier in the year thinking it was still above the 3XX gates.

Thanks for the info. Looking at my flight time, I may not get a chance to use it anyway as I've to get the bus at 8.30 anyway to be there 2 hours before the flight, so might not be worth the money to use it for what time I'm at the airport nor want to get up earlier again to catch earlier bus.
    btw, Do you need to prebook access to the lounge or walk up to it and pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Does anyone know if Bewleys hotel close to the airport is still called Bewleys, or still open. I cant seem to find it online, or what "reasonably" priced hotel wold you recommend for one night. Its for a student and he wont just get the 5am bus for his morning flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

tringle wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Bewleys hotel close to the airport is still called Bewleys, or still open. I cant seem to find it online, or what "reasonably" priced hotel wold you recommend for one night. Its for a student and he wont just get the 5am bus for his morning flight.

It's the Clayton Hotel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

tringle wrote: »

Its called the Clayton, stayed back in June, its nice, but not very reasonable (best of a bad bunch)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Since it changed to Clayton it's definitely more expensive.

Try this one, also very close with a shuttle bus:

http://www.carltondublinairport.com/

or this one:

http://www.metrohoteldublinairport.com/

I think you have to pay for the shuttle bus for the Metro but it's cheap and cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Or tell him to get his ars€ out of bed or he's not going on any trip :D;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Or tell him to get his ars€ out of bed or he's not going on any trip :D;):D

That was my opinion, he's actually a student staying with me and is leaving next week. I'm happy to bring him to a 5am bus but he isn't, he is a lazy tosser and a little bit "precious". In fact Id be happy to bring him to the bus now. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Bumping again...

Booked 1050am flights on Christmas Eve to New York.

Would fast track be advisable? it's only €6.95 this far out too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hanley wrote: »
    Bumping again...

Booked 1050am flights on Christmas Eve to New York.

Would fast track be advisable? it's only €6.95 this far out too.

Hard to say, who can tell if it will be busy? For the sake of the price of a sandwich I'd do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I want to book fast track, but I am not sure at what time I should book it for, as it gives hourly times .
    My flight is to the US at 9.25am.
    What time should I book fast track for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

RobertKK wrote: »
    I want to book fast track, but I am not sure at what time I should book it for, as it gives hourly times .
    My flight is to the US at 9.25am.
    What time should I book fast track for?

6.30am. You can't fast track immigration and customs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

You get a free copy of the Irish times. If there's two of you they will remind you to keep the other voucher as it can be redeemed on the way back.
    As stated previously it's worth it if you're travelling between six and nine am. Otherwise not really worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

athtrasna wrote: »
    6.30am. You can't fast track immigration and customs
    Since they installed the automated processing machines it's a pretty quick process. I've been through a few times this year and haven't taken more than 10 minutes to get through security and immigration. Even for those who need to go through the manual process I haven't seen a queue of more than a dozen people. I now go through about an hour or so before departure (though I know some people would want a bigger buffer).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

We, 2 adults, have a 17.30 hrs flight from Terminal two, on Sat 24th Sept. Is it worth getting fast track - also, there is a bus strike that day and traffic could be heavier than usual, so we might be tight on time (plus husband is recovering from a broken ankle and on crutches).

And the time slots - do you know if these are strict, or if there is leeway?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

RubyK wrote: »
    We, 2 adults, have a 17.30 hrs flight from Terminal two, on Sat 24th Sept. Is it worth getting fast track - also, there is a bus strike that day and traffic could be heavier than usual, so we might be tight on time (plus husband is recovering from a broken ankle and on crutches).

I think you'd be ok at that time of the day although the fact you may be slowed down due to current position with your husband may make the convenience of fast track a benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

We've not flown Aerlingus in a long time, but travelling with them next week. We will just have hand luggage. Can we check-in online (like you can with RyanAir) and then when we arrive at the airport just go straight through security, rather than having to go to the check-in desks? Sorry if it's a dumb question :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

We've not flown Aerlingus in a long time, but travelling with them next week. We will just have hand luggage. Can we check-in online (like you can with RyanAir) and then when we arrive at the airport just go straight through security, rather than having to go to the check-in desks? Sorry if it's a dumb question :o

Yes you can :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Check in on-line 30 hours (I think) or less before boarding, and print off your boarding pass. No need to check in at the airport again, you can go straight through to the security check and departure lounge. I did this only a couple of weeks ago.

No such thing as a dumb question ;)

Advertisement