Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Stobart don't in that case, as they did it in November.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

PaulKK wrote: »
    Few things here that probably have been covered already.

If flying to the US, go to the airport half an hour earlier than you think you should. Immigration is a joke with them rushing people up to the front for flights that will depart in 10 mins.

Don't treat the departure time as the time you should be at the gate. Several times I've been on a plane 30 mins before departure for the crew to state they were waiting on 1 or two passengers.

There seems to be an obsession with some people of getting to the airport with the minimum time to spare.

Get the things you need on the plane ready while waiting to board. Book/headphones/paper/powerpack. Do not suddenly need to root in your luggage once you've boarded. Get on, put the bag in the overhead and sit.

Only attempt to board if your row number is called. Its not funny if you are in row 12 and they are calling rows 20-33.

Do not use the headrest of the seat in front to haul yourself out of your own seat.

Do not recline your seat on short haul or during meals.

Research the headphone socket on the plane and bring a small adapter if needed for previously mentioned noise cancelling headphones.

Go the the toilet before getting on the plane. The amount of people rushing to the jacks once the seatbelt light goes off is crazy.

Cut people travelling with kids some slack. Its hard enough without getting  dirty looks.

Pack all of your metallic objects, belt, wallet and watch into your hand luggage while you are in the security queue and not when you get to the front of the queue.

Don't eat in the slaney. Seriously, its awful.

I'm an aisle seat man and emergency exit row if possible too. Don't underestimate the value of being able to get up whenever you like without having to climb over people.

Download maps offline on google maps for the area you are visiting before you go. 'HERE' maps are also good.

Don't sweat the small stuff when travelling. Provided you aren't going to the sahara desert, they have supermarkets where you are going to.

Oh my god...........THIS 
    Brilliant! If I ran an airline I would copy and paste this and email it to EVERY passenger before their flight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Stobart don't in that case, as they did it in November.

Boarding by row number is an SOP for certain aircraft types rather than a procedure or guideline issued by an airline.
    This is necessary for the ATR type aircraft, it is also necessary for A320s, when fully booked and the forward cargo hold is not in use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

They boarded by row on the A330 in Nov when I last flew also.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭kellyi3

Hi all,
    I have an early flight to the states coming up soon and wondered if anybody knew the operating hours for 51st and green. My flight leaves about 9 am so I'm wondering whether it would be worth getting lounge access.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Far as im aware the lounge opens when CBP opens, so you are limited by what time CBP opens.
    Can lounge access not be bought on the day too? So you can see what time you get there and if its worth it or not, judging by the time you have left before boarding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

We went there back in May before our flight.
    It's cheaper by a few Euro €35 as opposed to €39 to buy online.
    To be honest we weren't that impressed by it.
    It's nice and quite all right but I found it to be very sterile. There's zero atmosphere in the place. As regards value for money it just doesn't deliver. The food and drinks are ok but nothing great. There are charging points at the tables but a number of them were out of order.
    You need as well to be really vigilant as regards your flight as ours was not on the screen when it was ready for boarding and boarding had already started when we left the area.
    I definitely wouldn't use it again.

kellyi3 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have an early flight to the states coming up soon and wondered if anybody knew the operating hours for 51st and green. My flight leaves about 9 am so I'm wondering whether it would be worth getting lounge access.
    Cheers

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Imo lounges aren't worth paying for unless you are on a long haul stopover and looking for something like a shower and this one is even worse value as it's segregated away in the emigration section and more expensive than normal ones. The best lounges are the ones operated by the airlines themselves where they are a perk for their business / ultra frequent fliers so the service reflects this and they don't seek to make a profit from the lounge. Lounges like the 52st / DAA are usually subcontracted out and always run to a budget where it shows.

Don't forget the US bound planes load much earlier than short haul planes so in reality you are not even getting to spend much time there. Add in the fact you get fed and watered on the plane so you probably are not saving on food either (anyways all you get is tiny snacks and you will stand out like a sore thumb if you are shovelling the food into you!).

My routine has always been clear customs and head up the escalator to the segregated section of T2(reopens to normal flights around 10.30), always nice and quiet up there and grab a coffee in the cafe up there. Plenty of seats/charging points and uncontested toilets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Family member is checked in online but is checking in a bag.

Is there a dedicated baggage drop area for Ryanair in T1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes, all the way to the right is the Ryanair bag drop area, all automated as well, you scan the boarding pass and weight and tag the bag yourself :), but there is assistance available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Cordell wrote: »
    Yes, all the way to the right is the Ryanair bag drop area, all automated as well, you scan the boarding pass and weight and tag the bag yourself :), but there is assistance available.

Excellent, thank you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭sk8board

hi guys,
    Has anyone used these self-service EI express bag drops recently?
    I'm all for it and am heading on family holiday this bank holiday Monday 7am, so I'd be keen to use them.
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Used them, works well

Have your boarding card to hand, place the bag on the scales, and follow the steps

It will print out the tag, put tag on bag and bring to the check in desk, its scanned and if the weight matches up off it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭sk8board

It will print out the tag, put tag on bag and bring to the check in desk, its scanned and if the weight matches up off it goes

thanks for that.
    I assume its an unmanned check-in desk/belt and you don't have to queue all over again?
    tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Its automatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Just hoping a few people keep an eye on this and keep me informed as to how much time i need to allow on Tue morn.
    Flight 7.10 O'Leary air, they are saying 3 hours, i normally allow 1.5 hrs and am thinking of going with 2 hrs.

Any advise appreciated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

The extra hour won't kill you, for the peace of mind.

• Advertisement

Sevilla, i didn't think it relevant?
    I know there is this Schengan thing, unless thing changed in the last Month there is just one queue.

Just hoping a few people keep an eye on this and keep me informed as to how much time i need to allow on Tue morn.
    Flight 7.10 O'Leary air, they are saying 3 hours, i normally allow 1.5 hrs and am thinking of going with 2 hrs.

Any advise appreciated...
    They've advised 3 hours, why would you not follow their suggestion?

This weekend is due to be one of the busiest weekends for Dublin Airport in the year and the coming week being pretty bad all week. Everyone and his mother is off on holidays.

I'd suggest 3 hours as per their advice. You could fly through and be at the gate with 2 hours to go, but thats preferable to stressing in the various queues for 2 hours and just making the flight or missing it altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

They've advised 3 hours, why would you not follow their suggestion?

Because their advice serves their own interests, far more than it does the bleary-eyed & bored passenger, who's got there unnecessarily early.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

This may give you a bit of an idea. You're flying on Tuesday morning next.

I travelled out of DUB T1 last Tuesday morning on an 08.20 flight. (NB I would expect next Tuesday to be much busier)

Thinking it would have been fairly busy I bought Fast Track in advance for €7.99. I went through Security at 06.45 and was the far side in under 5 minutes. I then had exactly one hour to get to gate 103 (official Gate Closing time of 07.50).

Before I went through I noted the ordinary Security waiting time was showing at 23 minutes.

BTW, some first wave Ryanair flights I have been on departed from the (nearer) 200 gates - not sure if they stretch to your 07.10, though.

When you get through Security don't bother looking at the flight screens nearby as they will not show your gate yet. The DAA wants you to hang around and do a bit of shopping first. The screen up past Starbucks (at the 100-200 junction) shows the gates for all flights well in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 orlaithmum

We travelled last Saturday with Ryanair, our flight was at 0800, arrived at the airport 2 hours before. No queue at Ryanair bag drop & 15 mins max at security. We were eating breakfast by 0630 in one of the cafes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

I take early morning flights quite a lot and I always plan to walk into the airport 1 hour before take off. I've never missed a flight yet. Obviously if you're dropping off luggage you'll need more time

• Advertisement

I travel regular also but was not aware fastpass...
    Is it on daa site?

Advertisement