Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hi folks, I am travelling out of Dublin airport on Saturday 25th August with two children (age 4 and 1) I am wondering if people think it’s worth paying for security fasttrack? I have heard of horror waits for security this summer but then the queues might have died down a bit by late August? Also, do you have to pay for babies under 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Take a look at the deals and bargains thread. Vodafone billpay customers can avail of a deal to get free fast track. I used it myself back in July. I think the offer is still going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Absolutely worth it IMO. Not sure about having to pay for under 2s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

If you are a Vodafone customer they are offering a free Fasttrack through their Rewards programme. There’s no catch at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

In case you are unable to avail of the vodafone offer - you shouldn’t have too much trouble getting through security when you’ve got young kids. The airport try to facilitate young families so they don’t have too much hassle. I certainly wouldn’t pay for fast track if I was going through security with small kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

coffeepls wrote: »
    In case you are unable to avail of the vodafone offer - you shouldn’t have too much trouble getting through security when you’ve got young kids. The airport try to facilitate young families so they don’t have too much hassle.

Exactly how? All they can do is send you to the end of a particular queue which could involve people ahead of you like a prat wearing heaps of chunky jewellery or his wife with a handbag full of make-up which counts as liquids.

In general terms, I have never had a problem in the past few years with Dublin airport security. They always seem to have the appropriate number of lanes open and you get through reasonably quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Just a quick one, does anyone know if you have booked a flight which includes a connecting flight, say Shannon to New Orleans but you change in Atlanta, if your check in luggage has to be collected from the first flight and checked onto the next flight or is that done for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Just a quick one, does anyone know if you have booked a flight which includes a connecting flight, say Shannon to New Orleans but you change in Atlanta, if your check in luggage has to be collected from the first flight and checked onto the next flight or is that done for you?
    Google US preclearance Dublin Airport. Its all explained.

First Up wrote: »

Loads of things explained there except the question I was asking.

First Up wrote: »

Sorry bud, you're spot on, I got the answer on the Shannon preclearance guide. The bag goes straight through which is handy especially when there's not much time between flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Had thought we'd go to Dublin airport three hours ahead of 11 am flight, get through security and pre-clearance and then enjoy a leisurely breakfast. Friend suggested today that there aren't food options after pre-clearance. Is this correct?

I see from last year's posts that there is very little available after pre-clearance. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

You'll just about get a coffee / water and maybe a chocolate bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

You can get a full Irish as well as beers, spirts, cocktails, soft drinks and chips in the 51st and green lounge. If you pre book its e30.

Which is resonable when you factor in what breakfast and a pint costs in the rest of the airport

Thanks for that - had a look there - now €35 pre-book and €39 if you arrive at the reception. Don't think I'll be paying €160 for family breakfast! And I wouldn't take the chance on pre-booking in case the pre-clearance takes forever and that we didn't have time to appreciate it. Ah well - we'll just have to get up earlier and have breakfast at home.

Sorry, thought it was just you.
    I have found it great value in the past as a solo traveller or flying with my wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

You'll just about get a coffee / water and maybe a chocolate bar.

This is nonsense, ignore it. You could always eat in any of the restaurant's after security. Options for food after CBP are not brilliant but nothing like has been suggested above.

Agreed its not brilliant.
    But there are options other the the 51st.
    You can get sambos, chips, and candy. But I'm not sure about anything more substantial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

rushfan wrote: »
    This is nonsense, ignore it. You could always eat in any of the restaurant's after security. Options for food after CBP are not brilliant but nothing like has been suggested above.

If travelling to the USA most people want to get through the pre clearance quickly. Yes there are restaurants after Irish Security but not after USA pre clearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Generally yes, once you’ve done pre-clearance in Ireland, and you’ve got a proper connecting flight with the airline (e.g. not two separate tickets)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Never had a problem with security in Dublin in terms of waiting time. Other countries yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

rushfan wrote: »

Actually we did have a problem after pre-clearance for the US getting anything good to eat. There were some options for sandwiches but the prices were quite high.

Also be aware that you won't be able to take any sandwiches through pre-clearance to eat after. We had gotten a meal deal in WH Smith and had the sandwich part confiscated by the US officers. Sweets and crisps were fine but not the meat or veg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,448 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Actually we did have a problem after pre-clearance for the US getting anything good to eat. There were some options for sandwiches but the prices were quite high.

Also be aware that you won't be able to take any sandwiches through pre-clearance to eat after. We had gotten a meal deal in WH Smith and had the sandwich part confiscated by the US officers. Sweets and crisps were fine but not the meat or veg.

I'm travelling with Aer Lingus soon to San Francisco. Haven't done a transatlantic since all this pre clearance business started.

I'm gathering from posts here that i either eat post security but before pre clearance, or wait till the food offering on board arrives.

Anyone know what the nosh is like on a long flight with EI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Hi all first time travelling to the US next month from Dublin. flight at 8.50 am in the morning leaving airport hotel at 5am as the shuttle leaves there. would ye suggest just going through irish customs first get breakfast and then on to the US i have never travelled to the states before so not sure of the process but from reading the comments after you go through the us customs not much food options and there quiet expensive

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm travelling with Aer Lingus soon to San Francisco. Haven't done a transatlantic since all this pre clearance business started.

I'm gathering from posts here that i either eat post security but before pre clearance, or wait till the food offering on board arrives.

Anyone know what the nosh is like on a long flight with EI?

Food on Aer Lingus is grand but it's airline food so nothing really amazing. I had the vegi option going to LA earlier this year and it was one of the nicest I've had. You can prebook a fancier meal (steak or salmon). My aunt and uncle have done this and said the food was really nice.
    revoke12 wrote: »
    Hi all first time travelling to the US next month from Dublin. flight at 8.50 am in the morning leaving airport hotel at 5am as the shuttle leaves there. would ye suggest just going through irish customs first get breakfast and then on to the US i have never travelled to the states before so not sure of the process but from reading the comments after you go through the us customs not much food options and there quiet expensive

That was what I found all right. If I was doing it again, I'd have something just after security and before preclearance but just make sure you give yourself enough time to get through preclearance as it's not a quick process. There's another scan of your bags and then a wait in a queue to talk to the customs agent and confirm where you're going etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

thank you for the information. i think i will give myself enough time and head the hour earlier than i had planned will be at airport at 5.30 am but want to get breakfast and give myself just enough time then cutting it tight as i say havnt gone to the states before so wasnt sure of the process of the customs pre clearnace to the US

withchgirl's comment 'there's another scan of your bags' - I presume that's just handluggage you mean? Presumabley we get rid of cases on arrival at the airport?

can't see crisps listed on 'permitted food' details of US Customs but presumably allowed - for all the expats?

withchgirl's comment 'there's another scan of your bags' - I presume that's just handluggage you mean? Presumabley we get rid of cases on arrival at the airport?

Yep it's just the hand luggage similar to normal airport security. Also at the desk with the agent he will ask you to identify your bag (they'll show the bag with the same tag as your boarding pass).
    can't see crisps listed on 'permitted food' details of US Customs but presumably allowed - for all the expats?

Crisps & chocolate are fine generally. Most foods are ok if they are not made at home types. Couldn't understand getting the pre-packaged sandwiches confiscated but hey ho. Best not to argue with the man who's deciding to let you into the country of your holiday over a BLT!

• Advertisement

We won't argue anyway - just nod and smile! Have to bring choc and crisps to niece!:):):)

Advertisement