Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If doing long haul flights it's a good idea to get a pair of Surgical Support Stockings. They reduce the risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis. It's also recommenced to take a small dose of Aspirin before the flight. It is an anti-coagulant and will reduce the risk of clots. Also keep well hydrated and take a walk every hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

CabanSail wrote: »
    If doing long haul flights it's a good idea to get a pair of Surgical Support Stockings. They reduce the risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis. It's also recommenced to take a small dose of Aspirin before the flight. It is an anti-coagulant and will reduce the risk of clots. Also keep well hydrated and take a walk every hour or so.

In a similar vein, it's useful to put a golf ball (or other similar small hard ball) under your foot and roll it around to help with circulation. It's handy if you're not in an aisle seat, saves needing your neighbours to hop up regularly to let you go for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

About those support stockings... I tried to order some online, only to find that I needed a prescription! There are some so-called support stockings available that really don't offer any more support than regular knee-high socks. Any idea where I could get real support stockings with moderate support without spending a hundred on three pair?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Speedwell wrote: »
    About those support stockings... I tried to order some online, only to find that I needed a prescription! There are some so-called support stockings available that really don't offer any more support than regular knee-high socks. Any idea where I could get real support stockings with moderate support without spending a hundred on three pair?

Try your local pharmacy, you dont need a prescription, that's were I got mine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I work in a hospital and asked the staff on the surgical ward. They go through loads of them. They are also available in pharmacies here, I am sure they would be over there too.

• Advertisement

CabanSail wrote: »
    I work in a hospital and asked the staff on the surgical ward. They go through loads of them. They are also available in pharmacies here, I am sure they would be over there too.

Yeah, when I lived in the US, they were freely available. I take a sort of odd size because my calves and ankles can swell pretty badly, and I used to buy something called "full calf" over there. I tried buying compression socks for runners, and I did find some for a good price, but I can't even get them over my foot (darn skinny people lol).

Speedwell wrote: »

I bought some in both Dunnes and a local Pharmacy. Both equal quality. If stuck in a middle seat on a long haul flight, circle your ankles both ways every half hour or so. I've tried the golf ball too, but the damn thing kept rolling away from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Compression socks in Lidl next Thursday 14th for €4.99 and infact Aldi have them also at €4.99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

re above. seriously? not something to be proud of? its not something to be ashamed of either! its a bonus. its an airplane. how can you compare being moved up to first class because you already have flight priviledges (but choose not to use them) to doctors and politicians? without nepotism? its a commercial flight, it's not like I jumped the public hospital waiting list or get a pay back / secret payment. me thinks you protest too much! but I do have a bad back, and I had to fly with a sore neck, not my choice. I didn't go stand by because I had to be sure of getting the flight.

I was not aware that you had flight privileges that you turned down, fair play to you. Although I'm somewhat confused, as I don't believe I've protested or defended anything I've been accused of too much...
    I solved it myself - I usually fly stand by as my partner works in an airline - but I hadn't that time. the air hostess gave me a seat up in 1st class. I could hear him complaining all the way up the aisle. demanding an upgrade etc. I chuckle to myself - employees look after employees

Saying "employees look after employees" pretty much implies that you got preferential treatment because they knew you. By the very definition of nepotism: "favouritism shown to relatives or close friends by those with power or influence".
    Although I do admit that they probably have a right to upgrade whomever they wish or like; had the guy been in pain instead, would they have upgraded him on the same basis?
    They of course upgraded you since they know you and you weren't the rude passenger in that instance, the second IMO being a better reason. Anyway, not the thread for this discussion... :rolleyes:

but hey, maybe that's a good tip in itself, if you're nice to the staff and have an issue, you're more likely to get a positive response than if you're being disruptive and argumentative.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Any tips for a particularly bad flyer? Panic here from the moment tickets are booked. Then proper confusion caused by shortness of breath and anxiety while in the airport. I've probably been that eejit who stopped in front of you, blocked your way, wandered in your path etc in the airport because I'm in the throes of panic :o (you wouldn't know I was panicked, I just look like I'm moving really slowly)

Now I have a baby I can never see myself flying again tbh. I know the stats re driving to the airport etc and it doesn't help. It's not a logical fear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Whispered wrote: »
    Any tips for a particularly bad flyer? Panic here from the moment tickets are booked. Then proper confusion caused by shortness of breath and anxiety while in the airport. I've probably been that eejit who stopped in front of you, blocked your way, wandered in your path etc in the airport because I'm in the throes of panic :o (you wouldn't know I was panicked, I just look like I'm moving really slowly)

Now I have a baby I can never see myself flying again tbh. I know the stats re driving to the airport etc and it doesn't help. It's not a logical fear.

Assuming you will be flying out of Dublin. Book yourself Fast Pass (5.95) from the DAA website, handy at anytime of the day for the nervous flyer. Lounge access (~25 euro) is a little quieter and have a cup of tea, some soup or snacks. You'll hear all the announcements, see when your flight departs, etc. I have a touch of anxiety from time to time and fly a lot so use these services.

Give yourself loads of time to get there, sometimes I might even stay in a hotel near the airport the day before so it will be no hassle to drive up the day of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

People, I really debated whether I should mention this, but I have helped many anxious flyers with it, even small children.

I do EFT "tapping". I heard about it years ago and thought it was silly and swore I'd never do it because it was too "woo-woo" for me. Much later, I had a friend who was a practitioner, and I refused to do it with her because I still thought it was ridiculous. A few years later, I was under way too much stress and started to have panic attacks. In the middle of one, I was truly at the end of my rope and was willing to try anything for relief, so I managed to gather enough of my wits to sit down at the computer, shaking and crying, and I found some simple instructions. I didn't think it would really work, but to my complete surprise, it helped. And it helped each time I felt anxiety or unwanted thoughts, until I found a therapist who was experienced in the technique and who helped me get back on my feet and work through the stress.

It's simple, it's stupid, you will probably feel goofy the first time you try it. My theory is that it helps distract a locked-up nervous system and gives a worried mind something else to chew on so the body can process and eliminate stress hormones and rebalance other stressed-out neurotransmitters. In any case it is quick and free and effective. Here's a link that might help: http://www.eftuniverse.com/phobias-and-fears/eft-eliminates-fear-of-flying

I have seen a science show about the EFT Tapping. Yes it does sound crazy but it seems to work.

I have not had a fear of flying but for another problem I was prescribed Placebos. The problem was I soon became addicted to them. Eventually I gave them up cold turkey. It made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I've a nervous friend who does the tapping on flights, she said it really helps. Her bf is across the sea, so she flies all the time now. I really think a qualified therapist is what you need if you're having panic attacks.

On another note, my personal travel anti-sickness solution is a bag of salt and vinegar crisps. I open the bag and just smell it, lol... bit weird but it helps with weird smells around that make me nauseous, especially when they turn on the engines on the plane. I've used lavender or lemongrass essential oils in the past. Also having ear-plugs (if you don't have noise canceling earphones) and eye mask handy can help get to sleep if your neighbours are chatty. I bring a warm scarf I can throw over my shoulders and take off my shoes for extra comfort.
    In Dublin airport you can also buy the €1 self help water after security, cheaper than buying on the flight.

If you're parking at the airport, go through your checklist another time before you leave your car. Someone I know missed a flight recently cos he'd left his passport in the car and didn't realise it til boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

take off my shoes for extra comfort
    Just remember to do this after takeoff and not before, no point in trying to put your shoes on in an emergency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I don't take my shoes off as I'd struggle to get them back on, cabin pressure makes my feet swell.

For long haul flights I always throw a pashmina into my carry on rather than use the horrible airline blankets.

I also pack sufficient snacks so that I won't go hungry if the airline meal isn't to my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I don't take my shoes off as I'd struggle to get them back on
    Why don't you wear more comfortable shoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

smurfjed wrote: »
    Why don't you wear more comfortable shoes?

My shoes fit me. My feet swell when I fly. I don't see the point in buying bigger shoes for flying in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Whispered wrote: »

I go through phases with nervous flying but I used to be worse. I flying mostly long haul every other month and I've tried lots of things.

Hands down one of the best things you can do is get your hands on Allen Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Enjoy Flying". I've read numerous nervous flying books and his is excellent and helped me a great deal.

A fear of flying is a logical and rational fear. Very common in people.

Some tips I can give from my own experience:

Keep yourself occupied onboard. I load movies and tv shows into my iPad.
    Invest in good noise cancelling headphones.

Perfect way to remove the background aircraft noise and thus provide some comfort. (I've a pair made by Bose which cost €350!)

Try get a seat over the wing of the plane as turbulence is slightly less pronounced here.

If you're a regularly flier, try to zone out of the safety announcement. It only serves to increase and maintain the anxiety by demonstrating that "something could go wrong so you're showing you the safety features". Even our language around flying maintains the danger. Statements such "Flying is the safest form of transport" or "you're more likely to die on the way to the airport in your car than on the plane" again perpetuate that there is some risk in flying.

Tell the cabin crew you're a nervous passenger. Most airlines train their crew to help passengers like this. It's nothing to be ashamed of and they are completely understanding.

When you feel nervous onboard, take a look at the cabin crew. They will be completely calm and getting on with preparing someone's drink.

Have a watch of this video too.

Happy travels! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

I have a small rucksack type bag for carry-on, which I have the usual tablet,headphones etc. Passport + tickets are in the front pocket.While queuing to check luggage in,all loose change,phone,anything metal in my pockets go in the carry on bag, so once I get to security line,belt and runners come off and I'm done.No messing around,no rooting in pockets delaying people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Depending on the age of the kids , think about the concierge service for an extra pair of adult hands to get through security and take the bags for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

They were last September. Worked out well as I had stuff to do in Blanchardstown beforehand. Dropped them off just after 8pm. Had to hang around for 10/15 mins while they went through security checks "back-stage". Done and dusted in 30 mins. And didn't have to hit the road as early next morning.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I got the email about it after I had checked my parents in for their flight to Malaga last week.. I'm not sure if it's listed on the web-site

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Yeah - and the twitter mention was from last year so I was wondering if Ryanair had dropped the service.

Anyhoo - received an email Ryanair this afternoon. Bag drop the night before is available :D

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jofeck

Hi does anyone have a discount code for Fast Track in Dublin Airport please (I had a great web summit one but its void now ;-)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 jofeck

Hi there by any chance a promo code available for discount fast track - i had one previously web summit but its void now
    thanks

Advertisement