Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Always smile at the flight attendants and make their job easier.

Got so many snipes of champagne on a long haul to Beijing with BA from Heathrow. Just because I was nice.

It pays not to be an absolute asshole. Take note.

They will also save us if anything goes wrong. It is not all about perfume sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ItssDylannnn

Does anyone know anything about the 'Business plus' with Ryanair? I was reading into it and I seen it said;
    "FLEXIBILITY & FREQUENCY
    We offer you the option to change your flight time, destination or even departure airport at no extra cost on the day of travel. We have the biggest network operating to 200 destinations across 31 countries with 1,800 daily routes offering high frequency departures on key business routes."
    Quoted from Ryanair website.
    I was thinking to my self. If I was to book a flight to England, would I be able to go to the airport and use the 'Flexibility and frequency' feature to change the flight to Spain/Portugal. I was thinking if the price of the flight to Spain/Portugal was more expensive than the business plus would it be worth risking it?
    Im not planning on doing this but it was a thought I have always had when I was booking flights with Ryanair.

I was also wondering about the 'Rewards' when you sign up for the Ryanair website and fill out all the preferences. Has anyone ever got any good rewards from it? If so, what do you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I'd say they mean no extra admin. cost not swop a cheap €0.01c flight for one costing €200.00 on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I'd say they mean no extra admin. cost not swop a cheap €0.01c flight for one costing €200.00 on the day.

Business plus will never cost €0.01 though thats the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Answer to your question here I think: https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview#11-2. You have to pay the fare difference but not the change fee. You can change your flight route between the same departure and destination countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

If flying in to Amsterdam save yourself queuing for the train ticket machines. Dutch websites and most machines only take Dutch issued cards. But you can book your trains on the Belgian railways site with your Irish card before you leave Ireland, saving you loads of time in schipol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

To add to the before you leave the house things - I put a post-it note on the inside of the front door with the checklist.

Passport
    Money
    Credit card
    Tickets
    Bag 1
    Bag 2
    Turn off immersion
    Turn off heating
    Close windows

Or whatever's on your own list.

I'm also one of those people who gets to the airport and starts wondering if I've locked the front door (only do it when flying, never worry about it any other time). I have a standing arrangement with a neighbour to go and check as soon as he can after I've left, and he runs through the list on the back of the door too and checks that I actually turned off heating, etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

on my final run around the house before we leave will be a check on the following

Money
    Cards
    Tickets
    passports
    Travel Insurance details (just in case)
    flight details
    Take digital copies of important documents and saved to a shared folder in google to share between, partner/in-laws and trusted persons
    Lights are off - I have Wemo lights so set them on a random evening pattern to come on and off at certain times
    Taps are off and sinks unplugged ( this one i missed a few years back caused all sorts of flooding - not fun on a return to the house)

I am 8 weeks from a month long family trip to Australia and will be following this thread for tips that may make things a little better

good thread everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

That reminds me, another good tip, not necessarily for flying but when away from home for an extended period of time. Get one of those programmable timer socket switches if you don't have smart home/lights. Program up different times in the evening to turn lights on and off and plug in a bright lamp, don't forget to leave it on. It will hopefully look like you're not actually away.

To prevent spillage of liquids in luggage, my grandmother gave me this great tip - get a bit of plastic (like from the fruit and veg supermarket bags) and put over the bottle neck before screwing on the cap. It helps prevent leaky bottles. Really good for shampoos, mouth wash, sun lotions, etc..., that can leak all over your clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I just remembered flying to California one summer when I was a teenager to visit my grandmother. She helped me unpack my suitcase and laughed, "Don't you think I buy soap?" I had used up plenty of space in my bag to pack every toiletry item I thought I would possibly need, from hair spray to bubble bath.

Rookie mistake, but a good point for all travelers... don't bother packing it if a) you probably won't need it en route, b) the place where you stay will give you some, or c) it's cost-effective to just buy some at the destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

yep, same goes for towels, unless you're hiking or something. I do bring own shampoo though cos I'm particular for that. Shower gel though wouldn't give a toss. Hotels or family will have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

My sole advice is to not use the recliner save for when cabin lights are dimmed on long haul flights..

Anything outside that is being a d!ck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I placed all my valuables in my jacket before security.

Wallet, coins, watch, phone, passport.

The security areas tend to be very busy, and you can easily misplace things as you pack and unpack.
    By placing everything in your jacket / bag, you can speed up the process and be certain not to loose anything.

Take a good look at the security lines, people tend to join what they think is the shortest queue but give no thought as to where the queue begins.

If you have a rental car and more than one person, then one person should leave without luggage to take the rental car, avoid the queue that will develop when the rest of the flight make their way to the rental desk.

Make sure you know if your car rental company is in the airport or if you have to get a bus.

Don't rent a car with Goldcar, EVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

One thing I hate doing is packing full tubes/cans of things, only to have to bring most of it back home again like deodorant or toothpaste or shaving foam.

Bringing over a full tube of toothpaste to use it for a few days, and then bring 90% of it back home again, to me is just extra weight that's not needed in my bag in the first place, same applies with deodorant/shampoos' etc...

With the toothpaste, I always try to bring a tube that's only maybe about a quarter full, trying to only bring what I'll need.

With deodorant/shaving foam, I try to bring the smaller 'travel' versions, so again I'm not bringing back a large can that's still 90% full.

Liquids are heavy, and those extra few grams might be the difference in an excess baggage fee or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

... and those extra few grand might be the difference in an excess baggage fee or not!

I wouldn't be encouraging the carrying of loads of cash...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

degsie wrote: »

Safer than carrying a few grams.. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

degsie wrote: »

I actually did that before, went to America with $10,000 & €5,000 all in cash for my sister (moving her Irish savings to america to buy a house), this on top of all the Superquinn sausages & bread I brought!!
    It's amazing how little they check you when your in business class!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

roundymac wrote: »
    I flew with KLM recently, they made people sit up during meal service, the couple in front of me reclined their seat the minute the hostess moved on, a quick press on the call button sorted that out, told in no uncertain terms not to do that again.

that's just pig ignorant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

When an ignoramus refused to put their seat back up during meal service for me, I told him I was going to kick his seat during the whole flight. I did this for about 2 mins when hey presto the seat went up. Childish I know but it did work.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

One thing I hate doing is packing full tubes/cans of things, only to have to bring most of it back home again like deodorant or toothpaste or shaving foam.

Bringing over a full tube of toothpaste to use it for a few days, and then bring 90% of it back home again, to me is just extra weight that's not needed in my bag in the first place, same applies with deodorant/shampoos' etc...

With the toothpaste, I always try to bring a tube that's only maybe about a quarter full, trying to only bring what I'll need.

With deodorant/shaving foam, I try to bring the smaller 'travel' versions, so again I'm not bringing back a large can that's still 90% full.

Liquids are heavy, and those extra few grams might be the difference in an excess baggage fee or not!

Ever tried King of Shaves oil? Tiny bottle,think its only 15-20ml. Great product,you only need a few drops!. Always bring this when travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

igorbiscan wrote: »
    Ever tried King of Shaves oil? Tiny bottle,think its only 15-20ml. Great product,you only need a few drops!. Always bring this when travelling.

"Total Shave" same as above but spicier,might be Irish. Get mine in Tesco.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jofeck

Hi any promo codes doing the rounds for Fast Track - its brilliant I love it but hate paying full price. Used to get a free coffee which made it only €3 cos coffee is about €3 anyway... still nicer to get it less from the get-go. Free Irish times now, but I wouldn't be getting paper anyway so no discount if you ask me.
    Any promo codes please and thank you?

WEBSUMMIT used to work but of course now that they are gone.. it doesn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If flying in to Amsterdam save yourself queuing for the train ticket machines. Dutch websites and most machines only take Dutch issued cards. But you can book your trains on the Belgian railways site with your Irish card before you leave Ireland, saving you loads of time in schipol.

I lived in Amsterdam for a year, and I'm travelling there weekly at the moment, ticket machines take Irish cards no problems. If you're coming to Amsterdam regularly, it's worth getting an OV card, which is the equivalent of the Leap card

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

dudara wrote: »
    I lived in Amsterdam for a year, and I'm travelling there weekly at the moment, ticket machines take Irish cards no problems. If you're coming to Amsterdam regularly, it's worth getting an OV card, which is the equivalent of the Leap card

Yes..but try booking tickets on their site before you go and it will only take Dutch cards. The machines in airport do take foreign cards. But queues are big.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

jofeck wrote: »
    Hi any promo codes doing the rounds for Fast Track - its brilliant I love it but hate paying full price. Used to get a free coffee which made it only €3 cos coffee is about €3 anyway... still nicer to get it less from the get-go. Free Irish times now, but I wouldn't be getting paper anyway so no discount if you ask me.
    Any promo codes please and thank you?

WEBSUMMIT used to work but of course now that they are gone.. it doesn't!

It's €5.95, surely that's not too much to pay if you think it's brilliant and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Another one is for people travelling with backpacks as hand luggage. Please stow it under the seat in front FFS. Took a flight with Aer Lingus the other week and there were a group of what I presume were students from Asia who had taken up a large proportion of the overhead bins area around my seat and further with very very small backpacks. I asked them to move them but got blank looks. The FA who was 3 feet away quite curtly asked me to stow my bag and sit down when I pointed out the issue. If she had have been on point and using her initiative especially as it was a full flight there wouldn't have been a problem... She did mention it to them but on receipt of same black looks gave up mid sentence... In fairness to her she did appear to have the look of someone coming to the end of a long day and indeed career....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Strumms wrote: »
    Another one is for people travelling with backpacks as hand luggage. Please stow it under the seat in front FFS. Took a flight with Aer Lingus the other week and there were a group of what I presume were students from Asia who had taken up a large proportion of the overhead bins area around my seat and further with very very small backpacks. I asked them to move them but got blank looks. The FA who was 3 feet away quite curtly asked me to stow my bag and sit down when I pointed out the issue. If she had have been on point and using her initiative especially as it was a full flight there wouldn't have been a problem... She did mention it to them but on receipt of same black looks gave up mid sentence... In fairness to her she did appear to have the look of someone coming to the end of a long day and indeed career....

I agree with you about small backpacks but there's a different side to this issue as well.

Sometimes I have just travelled with a medium-sized backpack as hand luggage and checked my cabin-size case in. I do always put my bag under the seat in front but I feel that since I have bothered to pay to check my main bag in, I should be able to store my backpack overhead.
    Whereas If I had travelled hand luggage only, with only my case and no backpack, I'd have to store the case overhead meaning that I'd have more legroom.

It seems that having less legroom if the price you pay for wanting to travel light by checking in your baggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

VG31 wrote: »
    I agree with you about small backpacks but there's a different side to this issue as well.

Sometimes I have just travelled with a medium-sized backpack as hand luggage and checked my cabin-size case in. I do always put my bag under the seat in front but I feel that since I have bothered to pay to check my main bag in, I should be able to store my backpack overhead.
    Whereas If I had travelled hand luggage only, with only my case and no backpack, I'd have to store the case overhead meaning that I'd have more legroom.

It seems that having less legroom if the price you pay for wanting to travel light by checking in your baggage.

I hear what you are saying... Well if the backpack fits properly under the seat in front it should not be an issue at all re: legroom. These were very small flat backpacks and they all seemed to have the same types all be it in a different color. If it was a case of not fitting and sticking out and cramping your space then no issue with it being stowed overhead. A lot of people are also quite sensible and wait until cabin bags are in the overhead and then get up at the last minute after boarding and stow them in the gaps between or on top of those cases...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Diemos wrote: »
    Don't rent a car with Goldcar, EVER.

Oh, how I wish I'd seen this a few weeks ago. Complete and utter shower of chancers. Just had a very bad experience with them at Girona Airport. Avoid like the plague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Are you actually allowed them to store your cabin-sized bag underneath the seat in front of you? I never see people doing this but I think I will chance it myself the next time I'm flying as it would be more convenient. I'm pretty small anyway so sacrificing a bit of leg room on a short haul flight isn't a big deal :)

Advertisement