Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Travelling from Dublin at 7:50 in July. T1. The airport experince will likely be horrible, but is there any tips for sanity when the airport is that busy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

You mean Fast Track, or is that something different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Are you actually allowed them to store your cabin-sized bag underneath the seat in front of you? I never see people doing this but I think I will chance it myself the next time I'm flying as it would be more convenient. I'm pretty small anyway so sacrificing a bit of leg room on a short haul flight isn't a big deal :)

You are allowed to store any bag under the seat that will fit. I had to do this on a short flight from Heathrow to Aberdeen; they had had to hold the flight for a few minutes because my flight to Heathrow was late, and there wasn't room for my bag in the overhead bin. They insisted the bag was too big to fit under the seat, but they were only guessing based on how it looked, and it did indeed fit without having to cram it (I know my own luggage, Jesus Christ tapdancing on a cracker).

I didn't want to check the bag because it had my work laptop in it as well as an external backup drive containing my essential presentation materials for the three-week-long training trip. They can throw someone else's bag in the hold. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Travelling from Dublin at 7:50 in July. T1. The airport experince will likely be horrible, but is there any tips for sanity when the airport is that busy?

My tip is try not to go in thinking "this is going to be horrible".

it really isn't that bad. One queue (for security) is all you'll face. After that you can do whatever you like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Dodge wrote: »
    My tip is try not to go in thinking "this is going to be horrible".

it really isn't that bad. One queue (for security) is all you'll face. After that you can do whatever you like

Given that 07:50 is at the end of the first wave of flights it should not be too bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Carnacalla wrote: »
    degsie wrote: »
    You mean Fast Track, or is that something different?

I did this for a flight last Saturday. I travel a lot but when I went through the boarding card gates I couldn't see where the Fast Track lane was - nor could I see any signs for it, so this was a waste for me. Any kind soul update me on where this is in T1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

I did this for a flight last Saturday. I travel a lot but when I went through the boarding card gates I couldn't see where the Fast Track lane was - nor could I see any signs for it, so this was a waste for me. Any kind soul update me on where this is in T1?

http://www.mobilemaplets.com/thumbnails/11719_thumbnail-1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Hi silly question, am flying out with ryaniar ,i have one bag checked on the outbound flight does this mean i have to pay for it to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Yes you need to pay for it each way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Ah thank u.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Deagol wrote: »

Thank you, I see my mistake now!

So, the tip and trick for this one is when using Fast Track in Dublin T1, don't go through the general Departures area. The Fast Track is to the right of the general area :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Speedwell wrote: »
    You are allowed to store any bag under the seat that will fit. I had to do this on a short flight from Heathrow to Aberdeen; they had had to hold the flight for a few minutes because my flight to Heathrow was late, and there wasn't room for my bag in the overhead bin. They insisted the bag was too big to fit under the seat, but they were only guessing based on how it looked, and it did indeed fit without having to cram it (I know my own luggage, Jesus Christ tapdancing on a cracker).

I didn't want to check the bag because it had my work laptop in it as well as an external backup drive containing my essential presentation materials for the three-week-long training trip. They can throw someone else's bag in the hold. Sorry.

Thanks for the reply.
    My cabin bag is a flexible backpack thing so I think it should also fit under the seat in front of me. Without priority boarding, it can be a stressful getting on a plane and seeing all the overhead bins around your seat are already full so this should take some of the stress out of my journey tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Bag within a bag

I generally put everything that I will need during the flight into a separate small bag inside my hand luggage:
    tablet, phone, kindle, portable charger + lead, headphones, pen, crosswords, boarding pass, etc.

Walking onto the plane I pull this out. Then I place my hand luggage in the overhead bin and I sit.

I spend the rest of the time wondering what the F other people are doing that takes them so long to just stow their stuff and sit down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Bag within a bag

I generally put everything that I will need during the flight into a separate small bag inside my hand luggage:
    tablet, phone, kindle, portable charger + lead, headphones, pen, crosswords, boarding pass, etc.

Walking onto the plane I pull this out. Then I place my hand luggage in the overhead bin and I sit.

I spend the rest of the time wondering what the F other people are doing that takes them so long to just stow their stuff and sit down.

Some people just enjoy faffing about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

Motorbike parking is free in Dublin airport. Just drive around the barrier of the short term car park and park beside the other bikes close to the lifts. Can lock bike to rails.

Confirmed by calling up the car park and asking, this is what they said. I've done it twice now and saved about €100 in taxi fares in doing so. Handy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Does anyone know how people are at the gate so early? When I goto the airport I am there about an hour and a half early. I get through security and then I am waiting for my gate to be displayed. As soon as the gate is displayed I walk (speed walk/run) to get there first. I like to line up as soon as I get there so I am able to be one of the first on the plane. I don't bother paying for priority. I was wondering, how is there always peope at the gate when I get there. I don't see anyone in front of me when I walk to the gate but they are there. Its not a big deal, but how do people know the gate early? or am I being stupid?

The airport apps usually give you the gate a good while before it goes on the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

spurious wrote: »
    The airport apps usually give you the gate a good while before it goes on the board.

Is that the official daa app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭VG31

Turtle_ wrote: »
    Is that the official daa app?

Yes, the Android app used to show the gates 2 hours in advance, but it's less now.
    Does anyone know how people are at the gate so early? When I goto the airport I am there about an hour and a half early. I get through security and then I am waiting for my gate to be displayed. As soon as the gate is displayed I walk (speed walk/run) to get there first. I like to line up as soon as I get there so I am able to be one of the first on the plane. I don't bother paying for priority. I was wondering, how is there always peope at the gate when I get there. I don't see anyone in front of me when I walk to the gate but they are there. Its not a big deal, but how do people know the gate early? or am I being stupid?

Some people may know which gates to go to from previous flights. E.g. Flybe always use Pier 2, Lufthansa Pier 3, Air Canada Pier 3, CityJet Pier 2 etc.

If you're flying Ryanair you could go to Pier 1 (the '100 gates') before the gate is announced as Ryanair always fly from there (except in the morning when some flights use Pier 2, so don't do this in the morning or else it's a very long walk back!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Hi,
    does anyone know how to order the electronic buggy service that will bring you to the Ryanair departure gates in Terminal 1? I've looked at the website and can't see anything.

I'll be flying with my mother, who does not need a wheelchair, but she found the distance to the gate last year to be quite long.

I know we can check in early & take breaks, but I think the buggy would be ideal.

TIA

Speeds

• Advertisement

Hi, but we don't actually need a wheelchair. DAA provide a golf-buggy type thing - and I've now been told you just go to the OCS meeting point in Terminal 1.

But your input is, of course, equally valid!!!

Speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Speedsie wrote: »
    Hi, but we don't actually need a wheelchair. DAA provide a golf-buggy type thing - and I've now been told you just go to the OCS meeting point in Terminal 1.

But your input is, of course, equally valid!!!

Speeds

It would do you no harm to call the airport/OCS ahead of time as they can be busy depending on the time of day and you might be waiting a while if you just turn up and ask.

It would do you no harm to call the airport/OCS ahead of time as they can be busy depending on the time of day and you might be waiting a while if you just turn up and ask.

Yes, I'l do it closer to the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭cobham

There is a waiting area with seats just beside the lift/escalator in the large food/drink area before you head to the boarding gates that have the long walk. I think you just wait for the buggy to arrive as it goes up and back as demanded. Check your boarding gate as two other areas are in use. These are the ones that used to be in use before the new ones added and have shorter distance to walk.

You might be better to ask for the wheelchair but that means you will miss out on the shopping/eating opportunities of being airside as they usually go a different short cut to the boarding gate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

cobham wrote: »
    There is a waiting area with seats just beside the lift/escalator in the large food/drink area before you head to the boarding gates that have the long walk. I think you just wait for the buggy to arrive as it goes up and back as demanded.

Can confirm this.
    Just before you turn right to start the Ryanair hoof, straight ahead of you on the way to the 200 gates is a seating area. Wait there and a buggy comes up and down to the 100 gates. The driver just takes your flight number and name.

This map shows it:
    11720_thumbnail-1024.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

spurious wrote: »
    Can confirm this.
    Just before you turn right to start the Ryanair hoof, straight ahead of you on the way to the 200 gates is a seating area. Wait there and a buggy comes up and down to the 100 gates. The driver just takes your flight number and name.

This map shows it:
    11720_thumbnail-1024.jpg

You mean OCS?

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    You mean OCS?

Yes. We didn't book it, my mother having injured herself only the day before we travelled. We just waited there and when the guy with the buggy came, off we went.

Advertisement