Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting trolls?

Options
  • 03-04-2016 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys I'm just wondering if it would be possible to have a dialogue about the presence of trolls on Boards and the best way for posters to spot and deal with them.

There's a few posters on her that I would consider low level trolls. I have reported a few posts I see as being trolling but little or no action was taken.

Now I appreciate the fact that a difference of opinion even a very extreme opinion is not trolling but I'm wondering how posters should deal with perceived trolls? I know this is an internet wide problem and not an easy answer but it would be great to get an opinion on the subject.

Thanks for your help
    Sir Eddy
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The best thing to do if you have a concern about RPs not being actioned in a particular forum is to PM the CMods.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Best thing for posters to do is not feed them. I try and do that but no doubt have got sucked in now and again!

Best thing is to report them, the mods will see a recurrent theme which will help build up a case. Some are just good at flying below the radar, winding people up. Bear in mind some contrarians are just that, arguing unpopular or minority opinions all the time isn't necessarily trolling.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Obviously Report Post is your first stop, but what you see might not always be obvious to a mod. If you still feel that a particular poster is trolling then contact the relevant CMod and outline your case to them. And finally, if all else fails, you can contact an Admin.

As always, try to avoid engaging with the troll. Starve them of oxygen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

This is a general statement and not aimed at you, steddyeddy.

When you report a post it would be a great help if a brief explanation accompanies it. Sometimes we get reports that literally just say "troll" or "really!?". It's not always clear how the poster is trolling, sometimes we need help identifying the issue.

If you notice a trend, mention it. Previous trolling posts in tread, mention it. Obviously we're the mods and I'm not asking you to do the work for us but the more you help the easier it is for us to try keep the place clean of trolls, which at the end of the day benefits us all.

Also, as has been said above, if you feel that necessary action isn't being taken, feel free to PM the local mods or cmods. I'm kept pretty busy here but I do my best to get back to everyone that PMs me as soon as possible. Any issues regarding AH or any forums in my category, feel free to PM me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yep, we might not act on a particular post or even a couple, but we'll often keep a particular poster in mind in case they keep popping up on the radar.

Best to starve them of oxygen as dudara said. Best part of modding is seeing a troll get completely ignored and nobody biting, makes it easier for us too as an added bonus!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Now I appreciate the fact that a difference of opinion even a very extreme opinion is not trolling but I'm wondering how posters should deal with perceived trolls? I know this is an internet wide problem and not an easy answer but it would be great to get an opinion on the subject.

An explanation of how they are trolling will be useful to the mods.

Low level trolls are not always obvious from one post. It may take a number of their posts to see a pattern so it is not always easy to spot them.

If you see a pattern, you should report it because moderators may not be aware otherwise.

If you think that moderators have not acted when they should have, you should contact a CMod, as The Hill Billy advised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

dudara wrote: »
    Obviously Report Post is your first stop, but what you see might not always be obvious to a mod. If you still feel that a particular poster is trolling then contact the relevant CMod and outline your case to them.
    Once reported post is not actioned, next step be to email the local mod prior to contacting the cmod?

Advertisement