Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance broker refuses to disclose name of insurer until sale is complete.

• 03-04-2016 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi, I'm currently shopping around for motor insurance and one insurance broker provided me with an attractive quote, however they are flat out refusing to say who the quote is with due to the level of discount offered.

This is a little concerning the lack of transparency they are offering.

My question is can a insurance broker sell an insurance policy but refuse to disclose the name of the insurance company?

I understand why they might do it to prevent cross shopping, but that doesn't seem a good enough reason to refuse to disclose the insurer when I confirmed I want to buy the product.
    I refused to go ahead until they could confirm the insurer - they won't budge.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Take it - you'll be able to cancel during the cooling off period if the insurer is that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Hi, I'm currently shopping around for motor insurance and one insurance broker provided me with an attractive quote, however they are flat out refusing to say who the quote is with due to the level of discount offered.

This is a little concerning the lack of transparency they are offering.

My question is can a insurance broker sell an insurance policy but refuse to disclose the name of the insurance company?

I understand why they might do it to prevent cross shopping, but that doesn't seem a good enough reason to refuse to disclose the insurer when I confirmed I want to buy the product.
    I refused to go ahead until they could confirm the insurer - they won't budge.

I had an online insurer do this too to me. It was a really good insurer in the which meant it wasnt too bad. They generally all use AIG. Several of my friends I have brought insurance online with other brokers and they were all AIG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

The reasons they are doing this are twofold. You could be a competitor doing a mystery shop (which goes on non-stop in insurance) or because you might go back to your current broker and get them to put you with the proposed insurer, which is rewarding them for their laziness.

Regardless of this, you are entitled to ask for a specimen policy booklet for the insurer you intend to take out cover with

Advertisement