Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to pack for Canada?

Options
  • 03-04-2016 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

With apartment move, you can bring all of your stuff, but going to Canada on a 2 year Working Holiday Visa, there's a limit to what you can bring.

What do people consider must-bring, and what do people consider to leave behind, as you can get it in Canada? Shall be going to Toronto, if that makes a difference.

Moving from A to B in Ireland was a case of packing up car, or maybe doing more than one trip, but since I'll only be doing one trip to Canada with limited baggage, I thought I'd see if anyone has any tips?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Are you moving soon? If so, you won't need winter gear for a while, so I'd just pack your wardrobe and any deeply important things. We moved over with one bag apiece and bought everything else over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Faith wrote:
    Are you moving soon? If so, you won't need winter gear for a while, so I'd just pack your wardrobe and any deeply important things. We moved over with one bag apiece and bought everything else over here.

Yup, in about a month's time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Really no point buying winter stuff in Ireland if you heading soon, its simple to grab something over their. Dont bother with hair straighteners or dryers, they dont work on the same voltage

astonaidan wrote: »
    Dont bother with hair straighteners or dryers, they dont work on the same voltage
    Luckily I'm a dude with a shaved head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Travel adaptors cos at the start you'll have Irish plugs.

Also don't forget to let your Irish bank your heading abroad as they may put a hold on your debit/credit cards. Also if you need a card reader for your bank accounts don't forget that either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

Bring an extension lead if you have a few electronic devices to plug in, saves you having to bring multiple adaptors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

the_syco wrote: »
    Luckily I'm a dude with a shaved head :)

Hey you never know, I once was a dude with a shaved head, then I was a dude with amazing hair :pac:, now im a dude with a girlfriend who doesnt let me style my hair like that anymore :(
    But the voltage was obviously the key point I was making

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

West Jet have an extremely cheap extra baggage policy. We brought 7 large duffel bags between two of us and it cost EUR190. We're here for longer than two years though...

West Jet have an extremely cheap extra baggage policy. We brought 7 large duffel bags between two of us and it cost EUR190.
    Cool. Am flying with West Jet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Bring a load of duvet covers. For some reason they're expensive as balls over here!!

Actually.... if u send you a few bob will you bring one over. A nice one. Cheeeeeers

• Advertisement
Advertisement