Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Brests with skin and boned - ways to cook

Options
  • 03-04-2016 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

I would be really grateful for some tips on the best way to cook these.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fry, grill, roast, steam, poach, casserole.
    There are many ways toto cook a chicken breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I think from the OP's post in the chat thread, by "boned" they mean the bone is still in.

OP, that cut is known as a supreme. You'll get tonnes of recipes online, chefs love them as the bone makes it easy to move the breasts around the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I think from the OP's post in the chat thread, by "boned" they mean the bone is still in.

OP, that cut is known as a supreme. You'll get tonnes of recipes online, chefs love them as the bone makes it easy to move the breasts around the pan.

Thanks I would like to try frying them but not sure how long to leave them on the pan and if I could/should add a marinade?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

They roast up lovely. Peel the skin back, make a cut into the breast meat, stuff with blackpudding and tiny bits of apple, put the skin back, roast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You can pan fry them but they will take quite a while - up to 30 mins at a lowish heat and you should probably cover the pan for some of the cooking.

Should you put a marinade on ?
    That depends on what you want. Do you want plain chicken? Then No marinade.
    I'm not a fan of cooking in a marinade as I find the marinade can burn in the pan. You can marinate, then clean off most of the marinade, cook the meat and add the marinade back to the pan to cook as a sauce at the end.

You can also mostly cook the meat and then add wine/beer/stock/herbs/spices/sauce whatever.

Personally, I love chicken with just salt and pepper.

Or here's an idea:
    Cook your chicken, seasoned with salt and pepper until it is nice and golden and almost cooked through. Add a good splash of white wine to the pan and let it bubble and reduce a bit then throw in a handful of fresh thyme leaves (or any other fresh herb) some lemon zest and a knob of butter, swirl around and serve.

Problem with chicken breast is that overcooked, it is horrendously dry and undercooked, it is potentially dangerous.

• Advertisement

You can pan fry them but they will take quite a while - up to 30 mins at a lowish heat and you should probably cover the pan for some of the cooking.

Should you put a marinade on ?
    That depends on what you want. Do you want plain chicken? Then No marinade.
    I'm not a fan of cooking in a marinade as I find the marinade can burn in the pan. You can marinate, then clean off most of the marinade, cook the meat and add the marinade back to the pan to cook as a sauce at the end.

You can also mostly cook the meat and then add wine/beer/stock/herbs/spices/sauce whatever.

Personally, I love chicken with just salt and pepper.

Or here's an idea:
    Cook your chicken, seasoned with salt and pepper until it is nice and golden and almost cooked through. Add a good splash of white wine to the pan and let it bubble and reduce a bit then throw in a handful of fresh thyme leaves (or any other fresh herb) some lemon zest and a knob of butter, swirl around and serve.

Problem with chicken breast is that overcooked, it is horrendously dry and undercooked, it is potentially dangerous.

Thanks so much. I know what you mean about being dry. I roasted them in the oven but they were awful, although I wonder if I had covered them in the oven and then took the cover off for the last 10 mins would that have been o.k.....

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Tree wrote: »
    They roast up lovely. Peel the skin back, make a cut into the breast meat, stuff with blackpudding and tiny bits of apple, put the skin back, roast.

This would be my choice! Also great with some chorizo stuffed inside. You can roast up chickpeas, lemon and garlic in the pan with them (garlic and lemon at start, bit of oil on the chicken, chickpeas for 20 mins or so, they only need to be heated if from a tin) with them. Add a nice green veg like broccoli (and honestly, i'd just throw this in on top as well for around 10 mins) or a salad and you have your dinner.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Thanks so much. I know what you mean about being dry. I roasted them in the oven but they were awful, although I wonder if I had covered them in the oven and then took the cover off for the last 10 mins would that have been o.k.....

Season with salt and pepper and rub with oil. Pre heat oven to 180. Heat an oven proof pan on a high heat. Fry them skin side down until skin is nice and gold. Turn over in pan and roast in oven until done, about 20 minutes.

Don't cover them, it'll steam them and ruin the skin. Generous seasoning is vital. If you don't have an oven proof pan, transfer them to a pre heated roasting tin.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Season with salt and pepper and rub with oil. Pre heat oven to 180. Heat an oven proof pan on a high heat. Fry them skin side down until skin is nice and gold. Turn over in pan and roast in oven until done, about 20 minutes.

Don't cover them, it'll steam them and ruin the skin. Generous seasoning is vital. If you don't have an oven proof pan, transfer them to a pre heated roasting tin.

That sounds perfect, Thanks so much.

Advertisement