Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty iPhone 6?

Options
  • 03-04-2016 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I purchased an iPhone 6 from carphone warehouse with 3 on April 5th 2015. The phone was faulty when I purchased it and the front camera would not work. I've spoken to apple support back and forth and was told to bring the phone in to an apple verified repairer. I brought it in and explained that I was still under warranty and would the phone be able to be repaired or replaced as apple support told me it would. I was informed that the phones warranty was voided due to a small scratch to the upper right of the home button. However she also told me the damage to the front camera was a manufacturing fault. As the phone was not of merchantable quality when I purchased it do I have the right to a replacement? She told me Carphone warehouse were obligated to fix it for 2 years from the purchase date but after speaking to an employee from car phone warehouse he said they would not due to this scratch. Where do I stand here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

murdig wrote: »
    I purchased an iPhone 6 from carphone warehouse with 3 on April 5th 2015. The phone was faulty when I purchased it and the front camera would not work. I've spoken to apple support back and forth and was told to bring the phone in to an apple verified repairer. I brought it in and explained that I was still under warranty and would the phone be able to be repaired or replaced as apple support told me it would. I was informed that the phones warranty was voided due to a small scratch to the upper right of the home button. However she also told me the damage to the front camera was a manufacturing fault. As the phone was not of merchantable quality when I purchased it do I have the right to a replacement? She told me Carphone warehouse were obligated to fix it for 2 years from the purchase date but after speaking to an employee from car phone warehouse he said they would not due to this scratch. Where do I stand here?

Return it directly to Apple. Call them or do an online chat session. They will send you a box, you send it back to them. They check it and then send you a replacement or repair it (provided they don't determine you caused the damage).

I've had to return my phone 6 3 times in 11 months due to different faults. Each time Apple replaced it - on 1 occasion the casing had a small dent. This was not related to the fault and apple just sent a replacement...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You bought the phone from carphone warehouse, it's their obligation to sort the issue.

A warranty is in addition to your rights. If the camera doeant work and didn't since new they can stick their scratch voiding warranty, never heard such nonsense tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Deal with Carphone Warehouse. If the phone didn't work out of the box, that's where you start.

However, it's been nearly a year since you bought the phone, so that will make it tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

you have the choice od dealing with carphone warehouse or apple.

IMO apple are good to deal with. they treat customers with respect and the returns process is painless. They examine phone and offer options. usually you get a replacement (refurbished) phone in return, if it is deemed to be warranty covered.

Or you can tackle carphone warehouse who (from reading this forum) dont always have staff who are very well trained in consumer law. Now you can contact their head office and explain whats happened, and possibly go the small claims court route, if you don't get satisfaction.

Me; id choose the path of least resistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Apple pushed it back though no?
    ....I've spoken to apple support back and forth and was told to bring the phone in to an apple verified repairer. I brought it in ...I was informed that the phones warranty was voided due to a small scratch to the upper right of the home button......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

note it was an apple approved repairer.

send phone directly to apple.

If you bypass carphone warehouse and go direct to apple then you forfeit any future chance to go through carphone warehouse, just FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you bypass carphone warehouse and go direct to apple then you forfeit any future chance to go through carphone warehouse, just FYI.

What legal basis are you making this judgement on?

On that specific fault I could see there being an issue, but future issues I cannot.

L1011 wrote: »
    What legal basis are you making this judgement on?

On that specific fault I could see there being an issue, but future issues I cannot.

Now that I go looking i can't find it, but I have it in the back of my head that bypassing the seller means they dont have to get involved later. Totally prepared to be corrected here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭murdig

I cant go back to Apple now as my warranty is up as of Tuesday. The man working at the store told me I might have a better chance to repair it if I bring it to the store I bought it as they have to fix it within 2 years. Ill head in there this afternoon and see, hopefully Ill finally get somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

The fact that your 'warranty' with Apple is expired is irrelevant - under EU law you are covered for 6 years. I previously had a 2 year old iPad Mini replaced when I brought it into a premium Apple reseller. They initially 'forgot' that I was entitled to a repair, however once I pointed them to the below link, they rather quickly changed their tune. There was an 'engineering assessment' charge of 20 quid or so, which I argued unsuccessfully against, in the end I paid it and got my replacement a few days later.

http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

ArthurG wrote: »
    The fact that your 'warranty' with Apple is expired is irrelevant - under EU law you are covered for 6 years.

No, you aren't - at all. You are getting many, many things confused here.

Irish consumer law has a six year term but it is not an absolute warranty.

Thats me told :O

What bit am I wrong about?. You are protected under EU law for faulty goods up to 6 years, and I have used this to have a faulty iPad replaced. Apple acknowledge as much, and they even have a document referring to it which is completed when you apply for a repair or replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What bit am I wrong about?. You are protected under EU law for faulty goods up to 6 years, and I have used this to have a faulty iPad replaced. Apple acknowledge as much, and they even have a document referring to it which is completed when you apply for a repair or replacement.

Ireland has not enacted the EU law, as it's felt our own laws are stronger.

That bit.

You - or Apple - have imagined this law entirely. There is no EU consumer protection law in force in Ireland and the 6 years is from the Irish legislation.

The EU legislation which is not in force here provides a 2 year warranty. Ours provides 6 years but is not a warranty.

Fair enough I mistook EU for Irish law, however the link I provided to the Apple page correctly states it as Irish.

I never stated it was a 6 year warranty, I said he was protected for 6 years.

Either way, I used the above Irish law to get a replacement for a faulty 2 year old iPad, so irrespective of my error, it might be worth the OP asking.

Advertisement