Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice please

Options
  • 03-04-2016 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭

hi do any of you know what the fees are in relation to the shooting range in nurney county kildare?

im starting out am looking at buying a 22 rifle and membership.. what will membership cost and how much will i need to spend on a 22 rifle?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

hi do any of you know what the fees are in relation to the shooting range in nurney county kildare?
    There is a full list of ranges and fees, disciplines, etc here.
    what will membership cost
    As above.
    and how much will i need to spend on a 22 rifle?
    How much do you want to spend.

You could buy, second hand, for as little as €400 with scopes, etc. New from €750, and then go as far as €2,000. All depends on what model/make you want and what budget you have.

Start with a budget then look around. Don't overlook second hand rifles as .22lr are good for life. Exterior condition is another matter. Then a decent scope for rimfire shooting can go for between €90 to €250.

Have you anything in mind?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Cass wrote: »
    There is a full list of ranges and fees, disciplines, etc here.

As above.

How much do you want to spend.

You could buy, second hand, for as little as €400 with scopes, etc. New from €750, and then go as far as €2,000. All depends on what model/make you want and what budget you have.

Start with a budget then look around. Don't overlook second hand rifles as .22lr are good for life. Exterior condition is another matter. Then a decent scope for rimfire shooting can go for between €90 to €250.

Have you anything in mind?
    was looking at buying used.

Have to keep budget low as possible

Was gonna do this last summer but money wasn't there

Have to keep budget low as possible

The best selling and most popular starter rifle is the CZ .22lr.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-P3yQ9V4wFljLW6gIzx3dQPbvb6_qU8sW7DkMWYYGXW2uBmMn

Th setup above would cost, depending on scope choice, about €700-€800 new or between €300 - €550 second hand. There are a fantastic gun, and if you asked i would say about 70% of rifle shooter either had one or have one. I have two in my safe at the moment. Check the for sale section here too, might something there.

To find out which rifle you want or more importantly which suits your intended purpose then i would suggest visiting a few rifle ranges, and seeing what others are using, and what they have, use it for, how it works, how effective it is, cost, etc. Most ranges would welcome you, and freely show you around. Simply ring before traveling as some ranges need prior notification before you can turn up.

When you go to look at a few rifles the first, and most important, thing is have someone with you that knows their stuff. No offence, but i'm speaking as though you are new to the sport. Someone that knows about rifles (doesn't have to be an expert) or at least more than you. If you don't have someone like that then go ask the stuff below and then come back here and ask opinions based on notes you took. Never buy if unsure or on the "spur of the moment".

If i'm buying i want to check the gun and if i'm selling i'll fire my rifle first to show the buyer what it can do so regardless of whether they can repeat that performance or not they don't come back to me complaining the gun is not shooting right when in fact it's the nut behind the butt.

When buying i always look for the following:
    • Overall condition.
    • Marks, dents, scratches.
    • Dirty action/chamber
    • Dirty barrel/bore
    • Rust on any metal parts
    • Greater wear marks on grips/foreend
    • Check rifle serial number against person's license (seems odd but you can never be too careful)

Any of the above show a high usage and lack of maintenance. Any lad that presents a dirty or poorly maintained firearm doesn't care for his firearm and as such i'd be less interested. Not to say i'd disregard the firearm, but it'd be a cause for concern as to how he looked after it while he owned it and also a bargaining chip to argue the price.

Next thing i do is ask questions. Such as:
    • Round count. (Important for some caliber, but not for others.)
    • When it was bought
    • Was it new or second, third, fourth, etc. hand bought
    • Cleaning regime
    • Type of shooting (rough shooting, open fields. in the rain, only in good weather, etc.)
    • Any upgrades
    • Any problems that were fixed or need fixing
    • For any work done, who carried it out (competent gunsmith or lad from "down the road")
    • If threaded for a suppressor was it factory or aftermarket and who done it

For the scope you ask:
    • Any dents, scratches, marks, etc
    • Any issues with loss of tracking
    • Can it hold zero
    • Is it caliber rated/suited
    • Are the rings appropriate for height, the scope on it, and for the caliber it's on.

Lastly, if you can you fire the rifle. Look for:
    • The bolt cycles well (on an empty chamber) and without any sticking or issues relating to stiffness
    • The magazine or blind magazine holds the amount of rounds it's meant to and the rounds feed freely form it
    • The safety works and will not allow the rifle to fire (in this case dry fire)
    • The suppressor (if one comes with it) screws on easily and functions well when the rifle is fired. Functions well, meaning it is properly cut and sits perfectly on the rifle and does not cause clipping of bullets when fired.
    • Fire a group or three and make sure the gun can hold it's zero.
    • Do a box test and make sure the scope returns to zero
    • The scope turrets are precise and not tight to turn as well as go through the full range of clicks (if you know the scope brand in advance check the technical specs online so you know how many clicks it should have in elevation and windage)
    • That everything remain tight after firing (rings, suppressor, bipod, etc)

Again there is only so much you can do and once you cover as many of the bases as possible, ask the right questions, and either seek advice from someone that knows or have someone with you that knows then you've done as much as you can.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

If your joining a range see what rifles they have for sale. You might get a package deal from them as you will need a safe and you will have to complete a competency course before you can get your license.

I'm going down to range to meet guy think owner
    There's a student rate aswell thank God for mature student status

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

I'm going down to range to meet guy think owner
    There's a student rate aswell thank God for mature student status

Some ranges have students rates but only up to a certain age, eg 21. After that your an adult regardless.

You could say we are all students until you're dead :)

There are guys with competition .22 rifles which cost €3000/€4000+ and another €1000+ on rests etc.

Decide on a discipline, a budget, used/new

PSXDupe wrote: »
    Some ranges have students rates but only up to a certain age, eg 21. After that your an adult regardless.

You could say we are all students until you're dead :)

There are guys with competition .22 rifles which cost €3000/€4000+ and another €1000+ on rests etc.

Decide on a discipline, a budget, used/new

It's third level education not a fas course so I'm hoping that will help lol surely would be ageist to say only up to 21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

The fees are €350 year , small joining fee & your insurance is going to be between €50_€60 depending who u go with.
    You can call in anny Saturday and have a "try " shoot.
    The most common rifle you will see on the range is a Ruger 10/22 as its used in most gallery rifle shooting

There are 2 gun dealers on site on Saturdays and you can discuss your budget with them regarding what to buy.
    Its a great club with all classes of shooters from Novice to International standard and all are always very willing to help, best of luck with your new sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

No need to join a club if you want the licence. All you need is written permission off two farmers and attach it to the fca1 form.

hexosan wrote: »
    No need to join a club if you want the licence. All you need is written permission off two farmers and attach it to the fca1 form.
    thanks for the reply. ah no i am aware of the getting farmers to give letter re shooting on their land but if im honest its range shooting i am looking to get into. I will probably look into shooting on land if I get permission at a later date but for the moment its range shooting i am looking at.

• Advertisement

The fees are €350 year , small joining fee & your insurance is going to be between €50_€60 depending who u go with.
    You can call in any Saturday and have a "try " shoot.
    The most common rifle you will see on the range is a Ruger 10/22 as its used in most gallery rifle shooting

There are 2 gun dealers on site on Saturdays and you can discuss your budget with them regarding what to buy.
    Its a great club with all classes of shooters from Novice to International standard and all are always very willing to help, best of luck with your new sport.
    I did visit the site last year with full intentions of joining but tbh at the time funds were very tight as student etc but bit healthier bank balance this year lol.

the site in nurney is absolutely fantastic. i was and am so impressed with the facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

It's third level education not a fas course so I'm hoping that will help lol surely would be ageist to say only up to 21

No really, my son is 21 and a third level student and I pay full price for him at some clubs that we are a member of. He's not a member at Harbour House but two other clubs that we are a member of charge full rate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Dark knight
    Get yourself along again to HH. Student fees, half price, are available up to age 66 then the OAP kicks in :)
    Also a good discount if your a member of another club.

Current fee is 300 + 50 insurance + hello money for the first year. July to July
    Cheap shooting and the social aspect is another good reason to join even if you never shoot.

PSXDupe wrote: »
    No really, my son is 21 and a third level student and I pay full price for him at some clubs that we are a member of. He's not a member at Harbour House but two other clubs that we are a member of charge full rate. :)
    ah right i see. guy from harbor house i was talking to i think its tommy said students did get a discounted rate.

couldnt get down there this morning up to my ears in college assignments :mad:

harbor house is gonna see a lot of me during the summer ;) 3 months chill time

well apart from the part time job in evenings that is :)

clivej wrote: »
    Dark knight
    Get yourself along again to HH. Student fees, half price, are available up to age 66 then the OAP kicks in :)
    Also a good discount if your a member of another club.

Current fee is 300 + 50 insurance + hello money for the first year. July to July
    Cheap shooting and the social aspect is another good reason to join even if you never shoot.
    im honestly excited about the social aspect alone lol

living in monasterevin 10 years and know very few people lol

originally from kill.

Lads, so i can update the details can you clarify some points please.

Yearly fee =
    joining fee =
    Insurance =

I have it at €400 for joining and 300 per year. According to ye that may be wrong. Also if its 400 to join is the joining fee 50 and then 50 for insurance or 100 and then insurance on top of that. Lastly does the 300 per year include the insurance payment.

Thanks.

Yearly fee =
    joining fee =
    Insurance =

I have it at €40 for joining and 300 per year. According to ye that may be wrong. Also if its 40 to join is the joining fee 50 and then 50 for insurance or 100 and then insurance on top of that. Lastly does the 300 per year include the insurance payment.

Thanks.
    also is the student rate 150?

and just seen july to july?? does that mean they wont accept my membership til july?

also is the student rate 150?

and just seen july to july?? does that mean they wont accept my membership til july?

€150 was for me when I was at college

No you can join up any month fee are adjusted.
    July - July is the full year and when fees are due

This seems a hell of a lot more affordable all the time.

Fantastic stuff I need something for me away from college work and family.

Lads steyre tactical elite 22 thoughts?

This seems a hell of a lot more affordable all the time.

Fantastic stuff I need something for me away from college work and family.

Lads steyre tactical elite 22 thoughts?

NO no no :eek:

Get to HH first, and talk to people about what's best for the type of shooting your interested in.
    AND shoot a few to see what you like best.
    Talk to Toby or any of the lads there, they will only give you good advice

• Advertisement

Any chance of an answer to the above?

Yearly fee =
    joining fee =
    Insurance =

I have it at €400 for joining and 300 per year. According to ye that may be wrong. Also if its 400 to join is the joining fee 50 and then 50 for insurance or 100 and then insurance on top of that. Lastly does the 300 per year include the insurance payment.

Thanks.
    Any chance of an answer to the above?

Cass I'm not the committee at HH so I can't give you these answers.
    Best you give Toby a call to get the correct information yourself.

I'd have assumed you'd know what you (or any member) paid for membership.

This is not a trick question, some way to build to something else. I'm trying to build a single place for new shooters to get as much information as possible. This thread proves the need for having accurate information for our range thread.

I'll lash off an e-mail and ask so.

So
    Fees due in July
    Student 150
    Adults 300
    Oap 100
    Juvenile 100 (if guardian is a member)
    Couple 500
    Year 1 admin fee 100 once off payment
    Insurance 55

Officially joining this morning and going to buy my first rifle from the weekend dealers in harbour house
    Just wanted to say Tommy in harbour house is an absolute gent gave me loads of time the other day..

Just a quick update.

Bought a ruger 10/22 brand new it's a stock rifle but very customizable so happy out

Arrived at 1040am and left at 445 15 minutes before I started work lol
    If I could have stayed and shot another100 rounds I would have

Just a quick update.

Bought a ruger 10/22 brand new it's a stock rifle but very customizable so happy out

Arrived at 1040am and left at 445 15 minutes before I started work lol
    If I could have stayed and shot another100 rounds I would have

Great to meet up with you today.

Great to meet up with you today.

Same as Clive.

Fantastic club and all of the lads I met were absolute gentlemen

Honestly Clive I had serious issues getting away for work I honestly would have stayed there for another hour or two

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I joined harbour house yesterday .My first time there but it seems great so joined up straight away !

scwazrh wrote: »
    I joined harbour house yesterday .My first time there but it seems great so joined up straight away !

Let me know who you are next time your there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭turismo2142

Let me know who you are next time your there.

You getting commission Clive? Lol

Congrats dark night
    Good call

Now, change that trigger on that 10/22

Advertisement