Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi router Wifi issues with single SSID

Options
  • 03-04-2016 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

I have my broadband from eir, I've put the F2000 router in bridge mode as it is a pos and I couldn't get ddns working with it for external facing cameras and NAS.

So I've used my own Linksys wrt-320N as my DHCP router for my network connected to my eir modem.

I'd hardwired it to a 2nd router a TP Link Archer C2 (AC750) on a different floor of the house. This has a static IP with DHCP disabled. It connects multiple wired devices with no issues.

The problems manifest itself over my wireless network when I have each router set with the same Wifi SSID. Security and password are identical. Wireless speeds plummet for all wireless devices and connections are generally unstable.

I've gotten around this by assigning each it's own unique SSID and used auto-wifi switchers where I can (like swifi for Android). Doing this is quite stable and I get good Wifi speeds from both routers. They are both using 2.4ghz frequencies only and mixed mode for Wireless G-N.

I'm pretty sure setting the same SSID on each should be a seamless experience for all clients but there is something fundamentally wrong when I do this.

Anyone any ideas? I realise this is a minor problem since I have a work around but still :pac:

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Have you both on different channels well away from each other without other interfering signals from neighbours. I have a similar setup, it's not completely seamless like you expect but it's down to the devices, especially Android, Apple devices are a little better but not flawless. There are apps for Android which check for strongest signal every x minutes and change to that, I use Wi-Fi manager myself but there are others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

You may also need to reduce the signals of one or both APs so there is only a good signal from one in each location, full signal may be too much an overlap, your device sees 2 usable signals and doesn't bother moving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Yes both on different channels, same setup when I use different ssid as when I'm using the same but still extremely inconsistent when using the same ssid.

Interesting regarding transmit power never thought of that. I'll try reduce each or I can move the 2nd router further away.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

00sully wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure setting the same SSID on each should be a seamless experience for all clients but there is something fundamentally wrong when I do this.

Not really.

It works but is rarely ever seamless without a controller involved that actively shunts clients between APs when they should move. Devices don't tend to roam aggressively of their own accord.

Remember with 2.4Ghz that CH1 and CH3 still overlap, you should put them on either end of the spectrum to be safe.

Advertisement