Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&E charges

Options
  • 03-04-2016 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Be grateful to know about the following
    a friend aged 78 (has medical card no vhi) was sent to a&E hospital with a letter by her doctor
    after about 5 days there she was diagnosed an acute ulcerative collitis ,after 8 or 9 days of treatments and tests it was decided to operate and perform a full collectomy.
    My friend was in hospital recovering for almost 4 months. I would like to know if anybody has an idea of the bills she would incur if any as i have been reading the very unclear hse website on bills that a patient receiving treatment for an acute medical treatment is not charged . would i be right or would it be the €175 per week for 3 months or for 4 months
    would also be grateful if anybody knows how long it takes for the bill to come.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If it's a full medical card there should be no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

zero 1 wrote: »
    a friend aged 78 (has medical card no vhi) was sent to a&E hospital with a letter by her doctor
    after about 5 days there she was diagnosed an acute ulcerative collitis ,after 8 or 9 days of treatments and tests it was decided to operate and perform a full collectomy.
    My friend was in hospital recovering for almost 4 months. I would like to know if anybody has an idea of the bills she would incur if any as i have been reading the very unclear hse website on bills that a patient receiving treatment for an acute medical treatment is not charged . would i be right or would it be the €175 per week for 3 months or for 4 months

As Srameen said, full medical card, no charge. GP card or no medical card, the charge is/was €75.00 per night, subject to a max charge of €750.00 in any one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

If they have a medical card there should be no charges.
    if they don't have one, you pay for 10 nights maximum in any one year, think it is 750.00. all the other tests etc. are free in our system (well we do pay taxes!)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posts split out from old thread and moved to their own thread

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

zero 1 wrote: »

As everyone has said there will be no charge.
    Presuming your friend was in a position at some stage in the course of her treatment to make it clear that she has a medical card.
    She would have got absolutely the same treatment had she had private health insurance, so in that sense it's a terrific service.
    I hope your friend is feeling better now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement