Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expired Cheque

• 03-04-2016 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭

Just going through old documents, letters and bills... and found an unopened one from Sky (unopened as let's face it, they do send a lot of crap!).

Lo-and-behold, it's a €100 cheque for joining them. It was however issued last June so it's well past the presumably 6 month validity period.

Just wondering what my options - try my local AIB branch self-lodgement machine or should I just admit defeat here?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Contact sky and ask them to re-issue the cheque, if you lodge it and the cashier doesn't notice, it could well be pulled out in the clearing process and sent back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Toots wrote: »
    Contact sky and ask them to re-issue the cheque, if you lodge it and the cashier doesn't notice, it could well be pulled out in the clearing process and sent back.
    Yeah, was thinking of that.. but they're not obligated to so thought it's pretty unlikely that they will.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

They've a Talk To forum on here, might be worth checking there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Cheques don't expire but that won't stop Irish Bank's being Irish Banks. I'd give the self lodgement machine a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Cheques don't expire but that won't stop Irish Bank's being Irish Banks. I'd give the self lodgement machine a go.

It will be picked up by the person who empties the machine and processes the cheques.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭moonshinerocks

Exactly. Nothing stopping you trying, but 6 months is the deadline to lodge/cash a cheque in Ireland so it's doubtful that will work for you. I would try Sky - though they aren't known for customer service if they think for a minute you might switch providers over this they will definitely re-issue, so play that card.

Thanks for the advice all.

Let's see how this goes..

So Sky gave me a call and reckon there shouldn't be a problem in reissuing the cheque provided it hasn't been cashed..

.. he'll validate it with refunds and get back to me within 3 days.

Will keep ye posted, but sounds positive so far!

Advertisement