Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great limerick run route changed?

• 03-04-2016 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the routes have changed this year? Noticed signs written for H6 and M19 on rosbrien rd near the level crossing but they're on the side going towards town whereas it used to go in the Balinacurra rd. Map on the gglr site is still the old route

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

The have said the full and half marathons were change but they never said how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

The have said the full and half marathons were change but they never said how.
    Looks likes it's going out and back the risbrien rd

I emailed them and got the following reply

Yes route has slightly changed out by rosbrien it is not going into the industrial estate this year. We hope to have the maps up by the end of the week.

Kind Regards,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I (stupidly) signed up for the half-marathon back in January, having never done one before. Only four weeks to go and I haven't ran further than a 10k :eek: I run 10k comfortably. Is it possible for me to go from 10k to half marathon in 4 weeks? Is the route tough? I reckon if it's flat I probably could do it.

I hope the goodie bags are a bit better than last year's verucca cream. I also hope that they do a better job of separating the walkers from the runners for the 6 miles. Last year the 6 mile start line was disastrous.It's one of the reason I switched to the half marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

panda100 wrote: »
    I (stupidly) signed up for the half-marathon back in January, having never done one before. Only four weeks to go and I haven't ran further than a 10k :eek: I run 10k comfortably. Is it possible for me to go from 10k to half marathon in 4 weeks? Is the route tough? I reckon if it's flat I probably could do it.

I hope the goodie bags are a bit better than last year's verucca cream. I also hope that they do a better job of separating the walkers from the runners for the 6 miles. Last year the 6 mile start line was disastrous.It's one of the reason I switched to the half marathon.

How fast can you do 10k in?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi Panda, you'll be able to do it especially if you are running 10 km comfortably. Don't worry about speed - worry about that for your second half marathon. You are currently at 6.X miles. Try to get a slower 8 mile in next weekend, and get that to 9 the following weekend. A week before, do 10 miles and the following week, you need to do that an tag a 5 k at the end. Midweek, try to get 2 runs in, one with some hills as there are quite a few for the first 4 miles.

Eat well, sleep well. You'll finish, there will be plenty of people spurring you on :)

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi Panda, you'll be able to do it especially if you are running 10 km comfortably. Don't worry about speed - worry about that for your second half marathon. You are currently at 6.X miles. Try to get a slower 8 mile in next weekend, and get that to 9 the following weekend. A week before, do 10 miles and the following week, you need to do that an tag a 5 k at the end. Midweek, try to get 2 runs in, one with some hills as there are quite a few for the first 4 miles.

Eat well, sleep well. You'll finish, there will be plenty of people spurring you on :)

Thanks for that advice. Think I need to slow down my runs a bit and try and go for distance over speed!Give a wave if you see a very wrecked, exhausted looking blonde girl around the 19k mark :pac:

Thanks for that advice. Think I need to slow down my runs a bit and try and go for distance over speed!Give a wave if you see a very wrecked, exhausted looking blonde girl around the 19k mark :pac:

I run with a very friendly group and we're doing 13k tomorrow evening if you're interested in joining in.

I run with a very friendly group and we're doing 13k tomorrow evening if you're interested in joining in.

Might take you up on that, Thanks. I'll send you a PM!

Might take you up on that, Thanks. I'll send you a PM!

Funnily enough I find that quite hard to do :/ My brain keeps stepping on the gas and I keep on having to slow it down :D

I ran the half 2 years ago so if you want any advise, PM me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

New maps are now on their website

There will be a lot of congestion though as Mile 1.5 of the Half and Mile 19 of the Marathon are at the same point going in opposite direction (level crossing on Rosbrien Road) and its very narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

The really will need road closures here,Rosbrien Road, otherwise it will be chaotic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Looks like it doubles back on its self a lot

Is this mainly a flat course, where are the tricky spots one should look out for?

Is this mainly a flat course, where are the tricky spots one should look out for?

Which distance specifically?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Which distance specifically?[/quotem

Full

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Mile 9-10 Hill, well more a drag from Vistakon roundabout to UL gates
    After mile 13, pull up to the army barracks
    Around mile 15 pull up to Old Crescent rugby
    Between 19 & 20 from Lidl to Bobby Byrnes pub
    Around mile 23 from Gaelic Grounds to Ardhu Bar

The worst hill at the Crescent Shopping Centre has been removed