Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What form's needed please

Options
  • 03-04-2016 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi am looking at a rifle and it's Been at least ten years since my license expired so am looking at a 2nd hand rifle and getting back in to a bit of hunting.. is it just the norm getting the rifle number's and two letters of land owners/farmers and away to the garda barracks
    Any help much appreciated

Thanks...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You need to;
    • Look around for a rifle that suits
    • Pick one and pay a small deposit (5-10%)
    • Buy and install a safe
    • Have range membership, gun club membership or land permissions (2).
    • Get an FCA1 (application form) then fill in with:
      • Letter of sale from dealer with firearm details
      • Photos x 2
      • Referees to vouch for your character x 2
      • Medical details
      • Range details including membership number and copy of membership card or in the case of a firearm for hunting land permissions or club membership (gun club, not a range).
      • Seperate sheet of paper with an explanation as to why you want this firearm plus explanations for a mod (silencer) if you choose to get one.
      • All secure acomodation requirements (gun safe) in place as there is a box you must tick to say you have them in place.
    • Do a competency course if you've never held a firearm before
    • Submit it the FCA1 to your local Garda station, and wait.
    • Receive license, pay fee at the post office and upon receipt of your license go collect your new rifle.

The application can take from 2 weeks to 3 months, and some have even waited up to a year for their license. It is meant to be done within a 3 month time period, but this does not always happen depending on which Garda district you are in.

Full break down of the FCA1 is as follows:

For the following sections, just fill them in, but for the most part extra information is not necessary:
    • Section 2.1 - All the personal information stuff
    • Section 2.2
    • Section 2.3
    • Section 2.4
    • Section 3.1
    • Section 3.3
    • Section 4.1 - Language bit
    • Section 4.3 - Authorised range bit
    • Section 5.1 - Tick yes (no need for licenses as your firearms license covers you and you're not shooting deer)

Ignore sections:

Detailed breakdown of some sections:
    1. Section 2.1 - Previous Address: I have lived as 3 addresses my entire life. One was before i was old enough to own a firearm so i disregard this and supply my last address and this one. If you move around a lot then provide the last two.
    2. Section 2.5 - Proof of Competence: Please see attached competence certificate (then give in a copy of the cert)
    3. Section 3.2 - Suppressor: I am seeking authorisation for a sound suppressor for the following reasons
      • To aid sound reduction of the firearm when used around livestock and bloodstock.
      • To aid sound reduction so as to not alarm people in the vicinity.
      • Unsafe practice of wearing suitable hearing protection while stalking / hunting
      • Protection of personal hearing
      • Improved accuracy therefore aiding with the humane dispatch of prey due to reduced recoil etc
      • Ideal for vermin control.
    4. Section 3.5 - Secure Storage: List your security measures as you have done.
    5. Section 4.1 - Amount of Ammo: I am requesting 1,500 (example) rounds of ammunition for the following reasons:
      • Empty (fired) casings are treated the same as live rounds as per the Firearms Act, 1925 where it states that "ammunition for a firearm is any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition", with component part being the bullet, the casing, the propellant or the primer. So my license must allow me to have a high enough limit to have both live and fired rounds in my possession.
      • I regularly take part in target competitions and actively attend target ranges for practice. As a result of this I can go through a large quantity of rounds in a short period of time.
      • Buying bulk rounds of ammunition to reduce trips to dealer and for cost implications.
      • Distance to dealer being excessive & inconvenient.
    6. Section 4.2 - Reason for Gun: The firearm will be used for sporting target shooting at the **Range name** range in **location** , hunting of wild animals/birds during the open seasons in accordance with the 1976 Wildlife Act, and the control/culling of vermin.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Cass wrote: »
    You need to;
    • Look around for a rifle that suits
    • Pick one and pay a small deposit (5-10%)
    • Buy and install a safe
    • Have range membership, gun club membership or land permissions (2).
    • Get an FCA1 (application form) then fill in with:
      • Letter of sale from dealer with firearm details
      • Photos x 2
      • Referees to vouch for your character x 2
      • Medical details
      • Range details including membership number and copy of membership card or in the case of a firearm for hunting land permissions or club membership (gun club, not a range).
      • Seperate sheet of paper with an explanation as to why you want this firearm plus explanations for a mod (silencer) if you choose to get one.
      • All secure acomodation requirements (gun safe) in place as there is a box you must tick to say you have them in place.
    • Do a competency course if you've never held a firearm before
    • Submit it the FCA1 to your local Garda station, and wait.
    • Receive license, pay fee at the post office and upon receipt of your license go collect your new rifle.

The application can take from 2 weeks to 3 months, and some have even waited up to a year for their license. It is meant to be done within a 3 month time period, but this does not always happen depending on which Garda district you are in.

Full break down of the FCA1 is as follows:

For the following sections, just fill them in, but for the most part extra information is not necessary:
    • Section 2.1 - All the personal information stuff
    • Section 2.2
    • Section 2.3
    • Section 2.4
    • Section 3.1
    • Section 3.3
    • Section 4.1 - Language bit
    • Section 4.3 - Authorised range bit
    • Section 5.1 - Tick yes (no need for licenses as your firearms license covers you and you're not shooting deer)

Ignore sections:

Detailed breakdown of some sections:
    1. Section 2.1 - Previous Address: I have lived as 3 addresses my entire life. One was before i was old enough to own a firearm so i disregard this and supply my last address and this one. If you move around a lot then provide the last two.
    2. Section 2.5 - Proof of Competence: Please see attached competence certificate (then give in a copy of the cert)
    3. Section 3.2 - Suppressor: I am seeking authorisation for a sound suppressor for the following reasons
      • To aid sound reduction of the firearm when used around livestock and bloodstock.
      • To aid sound reduction so as to not alarm people in the vicinity.
      • Unsafe practice of wearing suitable hearing protection while stalking / hunting
      • Protection of personal hearing
      • Improved accuracy therefore aiding with the humane dispatch of prey due to reduced recoil etc
      • Ideal for vermin control.
    4. Section 3.5 - Secure Storage: List your security measures as you have done.
    5. Section 4.1 - Amount of Ammo: I am requesting 1,500 (example) rounds of ammunition for the following reasons:
      • Empty (fired) casings are treated the same as live rounds as per the Firearms Act, 1925 where it states that "ammunition for a firearm is any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition", with component part being the bullet, the casing, the propellant or the primer. So my license must allow me to have a high enough limit to have both live and fired rounds in my possession.
      • I regularly take part in target competitions and actively attend target ranges for practice. As a result of this I can go through a large quantity of rounds in a short period of time.
      • Buying bulk rounds of ammunition to reduce trips to dealer and for cost implications.
      • Distance to dealer being excessive & inconvenient.
    6. Section 4.2 - Reason for Gun: The firearm will be used for sporting target shooting at the **Range name** range in **location** , hunting of wild animals/birds during the open seasons in accordance with the 1976 Wildlife Act, and the control/culling of vermin.

Fcuk sake Cass. Could you not give any more info than that? ;-)

I know, i know, but i'm not long back from the range and haven't had a chance to write out a full post.

I'll get some grub in me and then write a full reply, but hopefully the little bit above will be enough to get the OP started. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭morgan2009

thanks for the massive reply @cass
    so say i seen a rifle on here for talk sake and its the other end of the country how do i go about it..
    and its a private sale??

thanks again

morgan2009 wrote: »
    how do i go about it..
    and its a private sale??
    The process for buying/selling a gun privately is almost the same as from a dealer. The buyer (you) still must apply for a license and have it before the seller can hand over the firearm.

In section 3.3 of the FCA1 (source of firearm) you would insert the seller's certificate details including certificate number and that it is a private source as opposed to the dealers PULSE ID number. Once the deal is done and you have acquired your license you show it to the seller before they hand over the firearm. If necessary the seller may request a copy off your license just for their a record of the gun being sold. They then provide you with a receipt for the firearm and they (seller) use an FCA2 to cancel the license or an FCA1 to transfer to a new firearm (if that is the case).

Other than this the rest stays the same. Of course the seller may choose to do the transaction through an RFD which would bring you back to me first post. However that is on the seller, not you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If necessary the seller may request a copy off your FCA1 just for their a record of the gun being sold.
    Is this really the case? Lots of private/personal information there.

I know anyone can ask for anything, but is it something that has to acquiesced to in this case?

Not your ornery onager

Its not a legal requirement.

As for "lots of private info there" the seller will need your name, address, etc. to complete the sale and/or to complete their FCA1/FCA2. So the license will only show them the same information that you will have to give them regardless.

I don't see the issue here. If the deal goes through then obviously both parties are legit. Also the buyer will have to give the same details about them to the seller to complete their application so until the buyer gets their license who is actually giving out more personal info or "taking the bigger risk"?

If someone were so inclined, and a little paranoid about a scanned copy of their new license being abused somehow they could bring a copy with them, and write COPY in big letters across it to make sure it's not used inappropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Its not a legal requirement.

As for "lots of private info there" the seller will need your name, address, etc. to complete the sale and/or to complete their FCA1/FCA2. So the license will only show them the same information that you will have to give them regardless.

I don't see the issue here. If the deal goes through then obviously both parties are legit. Also the buyer will have to give the same details about them to the seller to complete their application so until the buyer gets their license who is actually giving out more personal info or "taking the bigger risk"?

If someone were so inclined, and a little paranoid about a scanned copy of their new license being abused somehow they could bring a copy with them, and write COPY in big letters across it to make sure it's not used inappropriately.
    But you said copy of the FCA1, not of the licence.

I can't see much of a problem giving a copy of the licence itself.

Not your ornery onager

Ah, slip of the tongue, now corrected.

Advertisement