Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour dumping their ubbish in my wheelie bins

Options
  • 03-04-2016 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

Over the past few months 1 of my neighbours has been putting their rubbish bags in my wheelie bins on the sly when I am out of the house. Both the green & black bins. It started to get the better of me so I decided to get out the marigold gloves & go through 1 of their bags. Unfortunately there was no bills with their address in it however I did find some supermarket receipts that were paid by visa debit & also a bus ticket that said "ITS purse used" and it has a card number on it. I presume it's a leapcard account or something. Does anybody know if there is anything I can do? Could I ring the council or something? I was going to ring Dublin Bus & ask them for the cardholders name but I doubt they could give out that info. I have a fairly good idea which neighbour it is but I cannot approach them without the evidence. Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Once you find out for definite who is doing it bring the bags and drop them at their front door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Leave the bags in front of their door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

Cheap cctv camera?

Are you pay by weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Contact the litter warden. They may have powers to track down the culprit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Put locks on your bins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd try the litter warden and I'd also consider a gravity lock. It's a pain in the hole bit if you're getting charged by weight, you'll get the cost of it back very quickly.

It might prove useless but it might be worth putting a notice on the lid of the bin letting the culprit you know they're dumping. They may not give a sh*t but I tried it once and it worked. The hassle of making sure nothing that would indicate it's them would be too much so they might just dump in another bin.

But until you find something solid to prove it's them, there isn't much chance authorities will do much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Hide in the bin and surprise them?

You think you know who it is. Put something you can identify through their postbox, like a dominos menu with a mark you can identify. Take a photo when you are setting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Put the bins in the back garden ? If not then get locks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Jerry777 wrote: »
    Hi,

Over the past few months 1 of my neighbours has been putting their rubbish bags in my wheelie bins on the sly when I am out of the house. Both the green & black bins. It started to get the better of me so I decided to get out the marigold gloves & go through 1 of their bags. Unfortunately there was no bills with their address in it however I did find some supermarket receipts that were paid by visa debit & also a bus ticket that said "ITS purse used" and it has a card number on it. I presume it's a leapcard account or something. Does anybody know if there is anything I can do? Could I ring the council or something? I was going to ring Dublin Bus & ask them for the cardholders name but I doubt they could give out that info. I have a fairly good idea which neighbour it is but I cannot approach them without the evidence. Thank You.

A friend of ours had the same thing & put a sticker on the bin to the effect that they knew someone was putting rubbish in the bin and it was being monitored by cctv (even though is wasn't) - they had no problems after that, so may be worth a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'd try the litter warden and I'd also consider a gravity lock. It's a pain in the hole bit if you're getting charged by weight, you'll get the cost of it back very quickly.

Gravity lock appears to be about €40 excluding fitting. At 11c per kilo for general waste the neighbour would have to be dumping 364kg of waste before the lock paid for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Masala

jeez..... they have some neck on them!!!!

Do u know exactly who they are? If so... I'd take out their bags and coolly walk up to their door and leave same on the front step and walk away.

When they come out later and see the bags... they'll know the game is up.

And ... no words need be spoken and life can go on as if nothing has happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bimble

You could buy a simple asp n staple and padlock, 10 euro at most, someone handy with tools would have it fitted in 10 mins. The fact that you have done it would embarrass them anyway, I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Well maybe try this....

bin_zpsywwlojgp.jpg

And lock the door of your Wheelie bin shed :)

Or try...

bin2_zpsfabyrg3l.jpg

Good day Sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Drill a small hole for the bin and top part of bin body then chain the lid and bin part but this is only useful before being put out on bin day if you bin is exposed like a communal area.

Try cctv and prints pics for evidence to put in letterbox with their rubbish. The cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

It's an offence to deposit waste anywhere except in one's own bin. Go to the Guards.

Advertisement