Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared driveway problems

Options
  • 03-04-2016 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

Im living in a shared property.
    There is a main 3 bed house, and at thevend of the building there is a granny flat/annex that im living in.
    Both me and the neighbours are renting.
    There is 1 small alleyway (4 foot wide) at my end of the house used by both of us for moving the bins out, and a very large driveway that stretches from the main gate on the other end of the house, right around to the back of the house.
    Today i had a friend call up with a motorcycle and he parked on the driveway.
    When he was leaving i walked out to the yard with him and we were both confronted and threatened by the neighbour.
    The threats dont bother me but more what he said are now the rules.
    Apparently me or anyone who calls up to me has to park on the road outside the bin alleyway.
    Does anyone know off hand what my rights are to this so it can be sorted without dragging the landlord in to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

djflawless wrote: »
    Im living in a shared property.
    There is a main 3 bed house, and at thevend of the building there is a granny flat/annex that im living in.
    Both me and the neighbours are renting.
    There is 1 small alleyway (4 foot wide) at my end of the house used by both of us for moving the bins out, and a very large driveway that stretches from the main gate on the other end of the house, right around to the back of the house.
    Today i had a friend call up with a motorcycle and he parked on the driveway.
    When he was leaving i walked out to the yard with him and we were both confronted and threatened by the neighbour.
    The threats dont bother me but more what he said are now the rules.
    Apparently me or anyone who calls up to me has to park on the road outside the bin alleyway.
    Does anyone know off hand what my rights are to this so it can be sorted without dragging the landlord in to it?

Nothing in the lease? If not only the landlord can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Nothing in the lease? If not only the landlord can help you.

Cant remember anything about it but will have to check

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

As far as I know (but I'm not sure), here's how it works.
    If it's a separate address you have separate road frontage. Who owns and has access to the driveway is down to who's road frontage the driveway is on. So what he says sounds technically correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do your lease include parking? If not, then you and your friends need to part off-site. Seems pretty obvious that it should always have been that way, from what you said.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I suspect the landlord is illegally renting you this Annex/Granny Flat, and hence the neighbours frustration.
    Does the granny flat have planning permission? does it have permanent access to the main dwelling or it is simply a garden shed?

Shared driveways work well with neighbours but when one property starts over renting their side, it gets used more that anticipated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement