Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike Lures

• 03-04-2016 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if ye all could help me i was looking for some new lures, Im Fishing a lake That's Very Shallow i mean shallow(2-5ft Some deeper), Theres a good lot of pike in the lake but i have nearly nothing that works well, What lures would ye suggest? A mate of mine has been doing well with joined lures? I was looking at Mike the pike, Anyone have any Favorites Ill buying a good lot online :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

floating salmo slider, abu garcia hairy killer, savage gear soft 4 play loose body, mepps esox without head attached, if pike are good side mayba mass marauder from salmo. you can try with floating plugs retreived in gentle jerk/twitch way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Cheers Margin,

I was looking at the Salmo Sider jerk looks good i was thinking of the 46g sinking version would that be right? I was also looking at joined lures especially Abu Garcia ones and This http://www.fishingtackleireland.ie/shop/hrt-musky-hunter-16cm/

What would you think?

Cheers

i responded to you but can't see it now. for 2-5 feet don't buy sinking/diving lures.

Just another question, Im looking to cast out Lures around like 20grams out far now what would you suggest? Light line how light could i go for pike? I have a very good lure but it's light and i need to cast it out where the reed beds are, What would ye suggest?

if you have decent rod casting 20g far shouldn't be a problem. i'm using 14lb braid and with the rod like shimano vengeance (or something of similar fast action) of cw around 40g you should have no problem sending it 20-30m (before you say 30m is short measure real 30m ;) out if lure "like to fly" some lures will fly like crazy (salmo slider) and some (ie many light plugs) will do all sorts of weird things but won't go too far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

MarcinG wrote: »
    if you have decent rod casting 20g far shouldn't be a problem. i'm using 14lb braid and with the rod like shimano vengeance (or something of similar fast action) of cw around 40g you should have no problem sending it 20-30m (before you say 30m is short measure real 30m ;) out if lure "like to fly" some lures will fly like crazy (salmo slider) and some (ie many light plugs) will do all sorts of weird things but won't go too far.

I would recommend the OP to use stronger line than 14lb braid, especially if he's only new to it and going to be trying out new lures of various weights

Not new to it per say I kind of quit piking and just went into Trout fishing and salmon fishing a few years ago starting piking up again, What rod itself should i get? I've a good few rods around 9ft, Also What line would 15lb mono do or?, I was looking at the Abu garcia hi lo at 20gr its fairly light and it's a great lure for the lake is what im told.

Cheers

Im using only stren sonic braid. Im using it with lutes up to 50g. And insore sea fishing. For think vegetation i would maybe go to 20 lbs or up to 30 when using really heavy lures. But you will limit casting range with 20g lures. I think shimane vengance 2.4m in 10to50 or 20 to60g is a good starting point at around 40e. Unless you fishing from behind reeds or dont have good access to water then maybe 2.7m im personally have only few rods longer than 2m. But before buying rod i would use what i have to see if it suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

for my pike lure fishing, I use around 50lb braid, as I fish in snaggy areas, and don't like losing lures! I don't like using mono for spinning at all to be honest. I use lighter braid, around 10lb for jig fishing for perch, and feeder fishing.

Hi

Just wondering going to order a few lures this week anyone else with some suggestions?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

if u live near dublin ya should try southside angling, they've a huge collection of lures. Most lures work for pike, if its in the zone they'll take it.. ive fished my local river and got pike on every type of lure, spoon, spinner and plugs. I think lures catch the angler as much fish. if its only 2 to 5 foot deep id try a jointed floating plug or a slow sinking lure, ive had a lot of success on chartreuse or firetiger colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I think lures catch the angler as much fish.

very true!

If the lake is shallow, then its going to be snaggy. You should use very strong braid, and an equally strong trace. I love the Abu Garcia - Hairy Killer for shallow venues and bays. make sure you get it fully wet (all the air bubbles out of the rabbit hair) so it will sin slowly. You might need to hold it underwater and squeeze the hair to do this. Also, when you are finished, dry it off, it will extend the life of the lure. Use polaroid glasses too, this way you will see if any pike are following the lure, heart stopping stuff when you see a pair of eyes behind it!

Hi

Thanks for all the responces, Just one other question, im using 30lb braid, I was using spoons, Fast ish retrieve I have seen a good lot of pike coming as the spoon is coming in only one ever went for it, some missed the spoon, Also i never had good luck with spoons either the pike would miss it, or would'nt hook right, I remember a a big double ( I seen him) completely missing my spoon about 2 times! That's why i dont really like to use spoons but i've nothing else to use! I've ordered a few lures mentioned, inc a Mike the pike 2 colors one bright and one dark for both conditions! Have you ever fished with these Mike the Pikes? I seen them from underwater ireland and couldn't resist
    getting them!!

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Markbrmb

Hi, sorry this is a bit late.

If you were fishing in april or thereabouts the pike will still be a bit messed up from spawning (depending on location) You tend to get a lot of follows and missed takes in these situations. So I'm guessing the spoon will work, it just didn't at that time of year.
    Smaller pike are still perfecting their hunting technique and tend to miss lures a fair bit.
    My favorite lures for fishing shallow venues are. Salmo Slider 10cm in natural patterns, Buster Jerk 12cm Red head. Savage gear herring liplures 19cm (liplures are the medium diving version) in Lemon back and smolt. Real Eels are deadly too. I've started to use spoons lately with a lot of success and always have a few mepps spinners in the box. That's about ten lures, a handy number for travelling light.
    I've never used the westin lures but they look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

if you're using decent sized lures (anything near 50g+) you need to be using 60+lb braid.
    The reasons are:

-the lures are expensive. you want to have a decent chance of getting them back when they get stuck. River Piker recommends no less than 80lb braid. Its almost as thin as lighter braids so it wont affect your technique.

-theres no stretch in braid so it can snap with a very very heavy lure when casting. heavier line minimizes this.

-you want to be sure you dont leave a hook in a fish. theres no chance a fish can do much damage to 60+lb braid.

remember to also use strong traces, the 50 traces for a fiver on ebay wont cut it.

Many thanks for te replies,

I've started usin 40lb power pro
    A very strong and great line no snaps at all,

I've been using frogs koppers live target frogs

Unreal action!

I've also been using 19cm savage gear swim jerk I believe 55g with 40lb line

Is it a dissaster that will happen? As in snapping line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

no you should be fine,,,..i use 30lb braid on my spinning rod, granted i dont cast lures that heavy but as long as keep ur braid in good condition ull be fine.. ie dont use braid if theres lots of rocks or big stones around, as that seriously damages ur line and itll snap or weaken ur line in no time..

Advertisement