Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Music taste is different and for me I just like Ukraine.

I also think that Armenia would be a good each way bet, their TV performance is amazing and a sure Top 5, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

dogcat wrote: »
    Music taste is different and for me I just like Ukraine.

I like it as well:o

I just think its the type of the song that won't click with the masses on Saturday night, but wouldn't be that upset if wrong. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Les resultats:

01. Azerbaijan
    02. Russia
    03. The Netherlands
    04. Hungary
    05. Croatia
    06. Austria
    07. Armenia
    08. Czech Republic
    09. Cyprus
    10. Malta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

My policy is lump on the favourite after the semi finals have taken place, has earned me a nice little bit last year and 3 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,913 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

mailburner wrote: »

I can't get away from the russian entry and have backed it at 3.2 a few days back
    best I'm seeing now is 15/8
    think it'll be near evens on the day, song is quite catchy and strikes me as

at the rate it's going it'll be 4/5 on the day which I like :pac:

2w6rrcx.jpg

• Advertisement

Indeed Ruska looking be heading for full spectrum dominance with a euro-pop win, to tick off this years checklist, at evens.
    But wasn't overly impressed with the live gig, the video is much better. They only brought on the wee lass on for 2secs at the very end.

If the votes are accurate (and in ascending order) it means 'SF1 winner' the Azbijig's is perhaps over-priced currently 150/1 (Coral 4pl 1/5).
    Raises more questions than answers. Good to see a few nice ladies in frocks (without beards) this year, all the same!

Netherlands is widely tipped by journalists and tipsters, but find it unappealing. It's a funny ole subjective game.

Good to see Malta & Czech through, hopefully Bulg & Ire may join them for the final sing songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 RealiTea

Justin Timberlake will be there... hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 RealiTea

I cannot wait...

That popular European holiday island: Australia would be a fairly sensible choice for SF2 @3.5+,
    (dropping to 3.25 now on WH, where it's also available as a mixed sport e/w accum.

Hopefully music will prevail over politics today, 1944 is long gone.
    2016_05_12_16_20.png

Another value dark horse is Belgium @21 e/w top3 (WH)
    In a perfect world the top5 results for SF2 would be:

1.Aus
    2.Bul
    3.Lat
    4.Bel
    5.Ire (well somewhere in the top 10 anyway)

so nicky byrne will be watching at home which really isn't a surprise
    I did hope it would somehow qualify when I saw paddy offering 8/1 on it finishing last :D

I didn't see any market on betfair for ireland qualifying anyway...was curious to see what kinda price it was...probably odds on no doubt not to qualify
    didn't really shop around, maybe paddy had a market on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭markc91

so nicky byrne will be watching at home which really isn't a surprise
    I did hope it would somehow qualify when I saw paddy offering 8/1 on it finishing last :D

I didn't see any market on betfair for ireland qualifying anyway...was curious to see what kinda price it was...probably odds on no doubt not to qualify
    didn't really shop around, maybe paddy had a market on it

I backed us to qualify for the final at 4/1

Indeed the bloc says no, a few notes off key and the unadventurous staging was a theme.

Good performances form Bulgaria & Latvia, both backed in SF2 3pl e/w, at around 20/1 on tail end of accums.
    Think the ones pre-qualified may carry a good advantage as they will be fresher to listeners/viewers.

Australia's song is good but didn't work so well on stage.

The actual placing/rank order of votes of both SF's won't be revealed until Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Anyone fancy Bulgaria e/w at 80/1?

Anyone fancy Bulgaria e/w at 80/1?

surprised it hasn't dropped yet, soon will be only Powers offering 80 presently, but its at 1/5, not 1/4 place value with them. Bit like the golf odds.

markc91 wrote: »
    I backed us to qualify for the final at 4/1

thanks mark
    was curious alright although I didn't think we would be that big to qualify so
    the opposite was unbackable sadly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 psheaser

Afaik the Russians are nailed on

Indeed the bloc says no, a few notes off key and the unadventurous staging was a theme.

The actual placing/rank order of votes of both SF's won't be revealed until Sat.

that may be the case but the song was awful imo

it's always been that way since the block voting took over, you could probably call the winner if the semi voting was revealed
    sure russia would probably be 2/7 if we knew the count :pac:

some drift on ukraine and france now, both 9s
    plenty of 5s on aussies now also
    wonder why the big odds drift?

sad I didn't lay ukraine for top three now at odds on, certainly won't get that chance again

not sure but think the actual SF place positioning will be revealed just before Finals get underway on Sat at 20:00hrs.

I can't get away from the russian entry and have backed it at 3.2 a few days back
    best I'm seeing now is 15/8

have a saver on the australian song at 15.5, very good song but it's hard to see them getting the points required

russia 4/5
    oz 5/1
    9s bar
    I swear if I lose money on this I won't be going near this tripe again

• Advertisement

not sure but think the actual SF place positioning will be revealed just before Finals get underway on Sat at 20:00hrs.

I think it's after the finals but not 100%

Think people are seeing past the politico-hype and realising UKR's song stinks, certainly can't see the karaoke version selling much. Expecting 6/7th place at best. France's song is a little uninspiring 5th place maybe.

Belgium & Bulgaria probably affecting the odds on all others. Aussies have a good radio song, but the lass just sat down until half-way.

Spain & Italy are hard to quantify, doing well on spottily/utube/itunes etc but not exposed to the masses yet on the tv-box.

Would only ever touch this event as part of a multi-mixed-selection e/w and ideally at high double digits, that way a place is just fine. Too many variables, along with ingrained eastern European music tastes to consider.

am thinking there's a big priced placed one there somewhere
    my guess would be armenia or malta at 33s, may have a stab at one of these if
    I can get 6s or more for the top four market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Lot of time for Malta if I was doing an e/w bet, not a great performance on Tuesday but plenty of rubbish about so it has a chance.

Russia probably going to off at 4/6 or so, fair enough, the most accomplished song. Australia probably overrated a little, Ukraine won't connect with the masses, as you can see on twitter. Eurovision is water cooler talk and having fun laughing at silly songs not Stalin and genocide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

I think it's after the finals but not 100%
    You'd be correct.

def some value to be had, some large numerals floating about for e/w 4pl at end of Thurs nite.

europa_2016_05_12.png

Worth noting 50% votes based on Jury member selection criteria... They are being asked to judge:

1 vocal capacity
    2 the performance on stage
    3 the composition and originality of the song
    4 the overall impression by the act

Trying to convince myself here to put a big lump on Russia. Do the clear favourites usually win the eurovision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Trying to convince myself here to put a big lump on Russia. Do the clear favourites usually win the eurovision?

I only tapped into this 3 years ago and my take on it is that favourites after the 2 semis win.
    3 years ago Denmark were favs throughout and ended up at 13/8!on the night, Azerbaijan were second with about 50 points behind.
    Conchita started off at 40/1 but after the 2 semis was odds on favourite.
    Last year Sweden and Russia went off at similar odds but on the final Sweden were 6/4 with Russia about 2/1.
    This years contest is a bit crazy in that there is no clear rival on paper, but the public are voting so anything could happen, Russia have the most visually and audibly pleasing song so they should capitalise on that alone. My only doubt is that no one likes Russia with their questionable military and political antics, wondering would this affect them, they got booed quite a bit a few years ago after the pussy cat riot thing.
    Anyway I'm going on Russia for the win, had hoped to get them sooner but only got the 11/10.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the informed reply

Advertisement