Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 updating 191 updates for 24 hours

Options
  • 03-04-2016 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Is it normal to have a laptop that's brand new installing updates 191 of them and taking 24 hours to install them??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Is it finished now or still going?

its normal to have that many updates if it was not on for ages.
    Depends how long it was switched off and/or not connected to internet and when it was manufactured.
    Its possible the machine was built two years ago and has been sitting in a shop storeroom before you brought it

24 hours is quite long even for that amount of updates p

for comparison I recently turned on an oldish PC which had NOT been switched on for perhaps ~1.5 years it installed 129 updates in about five hours

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cocopops2015

I bought it 4 days ago and to be honest it's so slow I haven't had a chance to use it yet, it's still updating now!

I have really fast wifi in my house I have fiber broadband other computer is working really quick with it so I don't think that's the problem
    Keplar240B wrote: »
    Is it finished now or still going?

its normal to have that many updates if it was not on for ages.
    Depends how long it was switched off and/or not connected to internet and when it was manufactured.
    Its possible the machine was built two years ago and has been sitting in a shop storeroom before you brought it

24 hours is quite long even for that amount of updates perhaps a slow network or wi-fi issued exacerbated the time.

for comparison I recently turned on a PC which had NOT been switched on for perhaps ~1.5 years it installed 129 updates in about five hours
    speed/type of machine and speed reliability if network are going to be factors

maybe its stuck at a step

Can you see it making steady progress?

as in
    "installing x of 191 updates "

Where x is incrementing number
    whats x at?
    or is at stuck at a number?
    or show no number at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cocopops2015

It's not stuck it is moving by 1 update every half an hour or so, is this normal thing to happen? Should laptop be OK after this finishes?

I taught there was a problem with the laptop because it was taking so long?
    Keplar240B wrote: »
    Well if your network is good and machine is new its just a matter of waiting unless maybe its stuck at a step

Can you see it making steady progress?

as in
    "installing x of 191 updates "

Where x is incrementing number
    whats x at?
    or is at stuck at a number?
    or show no number at all?

If you saying one every half an hour and you been running for 24 hours
    that's 48 out of 191 in 24 hours right?
    that means roughly will take another three days to finish.
    I be worried about it overheating at this stage is it running hot?

That's way too long, something not right there in my LIMITED experience.

I stop it and try again if i was you, stopping windows updates is it bit dangerous.
    but seeing as its brand new you can bring it back to shop. if it all goes pete tong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Let me guess..
    Laptop was a cheap laptop with celeron or similar and processor?
    Then it is not unusual. Where I work my company tends to buy cheapest of the cheap. I usually start updates and live it running for two days. If you need a laptop now, just reboot and finish installing later on whatever there is left to install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Why does it have Windows 8.

Not 8.1 or 10?

I would connect it to ethernet and install the updates that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

no machine should take that long, it could be a crappy 5 year old bucket with 2gb ram and a celeron inside and should still be done all in within 24 hours maximum.

Any machine taking 3 days, theres an issue. It seems strange that its going up so slowly, generally they will just stop and go no further.

I would turn it off and back on, it will finanlise the updates already downloaded and you can run update again. Sometimes running update manually can interfere with automatic updates. could be an issue

edit to update: A quick google suggests this can happen in windows 8 (not 8.1). heres a fix:

http://www.proweb-solutions.net/blog/windows-8-update-your-pc-will-restart-in-2-days-to-finish-installing-important-updates/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Duplicate post..... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99274882

Get a better laptop TBH.

Advertisement