Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Food Festival

Options
  • 03-04-2016 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭

So, I headed West to Galway for the food festival.

Perfect weather for this type of thing - cold but dry (with a few showers)! The champion in my opinion was Dough Brothers. I'm not a big pizza fan, but these guys are good. Great atmosphere, good vibe and if anyone is arguing against pedestrianisation in any town in Ireland, they should hit Galway. Family friendly, relaxed (but packed)... very European feeling about the city, lots of people eating and drinking al fresco, enduring the chill. Traffic was heavy, but not ridiculous and I got parking close to the city on two occasions. Lots of interesting characters and the busking is the best in the country. No elaborate sound systems and amplified crap. Got a few business cards from really really good free range food suppliers.

I'd forgotten how dramatic the river can be, it was swollen, and thumping!(used to canoe a lot) amazing looking and it's so cool to have the city perched on the Atlantic.

We dropped in to the Aquarium at feeding time and got our moneys worth. An experienced, enthusiastic marine biologist basically at our beck and call, very very interesting. Then we drove a very very short distance to be treated to an empty beach in rural Connemara.

Surprised that Nemo's was closed, always wanted to try that place. Same for the Volvo ocean race when they were doing sandwiches/lunches only.

Other than that, brilliant weekend.

Anyone else on boards enjoy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, the food festival is a staple for me each year, badum tisch
    It's nigh on impossible to sample everything but well worth a visit. We usually just wander around and try bits and bobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Enjoyed it very much. Great atmosphere and went to some of the demo's by the Museum. Didn't begrudge paying slightly OTT prices for food as it all balanced out relative to the atmosphere / craic we had.

Long may it last in future (any any festival in Galway for that matter)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

I did one of the walking tours, really interesting and great value. Would definitely look at doing more of the events/walks next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Unfortunately the weather fecked up the Woodquay market (which should be at least a monthly event as far as I'm concerned) and they had to close up at lunchtime. I had jelly I was buying in one hand and a leg of a gazebo in the other to stop it blowing away.
    Nice pint in McGinns after though 😉

Advertisement