Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you miss from older verions

• 04-04-2016 5:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭

What do you miss the most from older versions? Those nifty little features that were dropped in the ever forward march of progress(?).

For me, the thing I miss the most is Wireless Media Sync which was available in the heady days of Windows Phone 7 but dropped from 8 onwards. It was great in so far as when I updated a playlist on the computer the same playlist was then updated on my phone without me having to take any further action or even think about it.

Nowadays it's back to the umbilical cord and having to sync an entire playlist just to get the couple of changes.

There are other options such as streaming from Onedrive or with a Grove Pass but neither truly replace the option of having the music stored on your device for playing anywhere at anytime.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,456 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Edlin

And spellchek verion 1.0

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭trellheim

In driving mode on Denim being able to shout at the phone DIAL FRED or whoever. Unavailable now without Cortana , in Denim Cortana was not required for this feature .. I miss my 735 and Denim, by far the best W/phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I miss an OS that wasnt bug ridden and barely useable.

Win 10 mobile is just an ongoing beta test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

The fluidity/stability of the os is what i miss most.
    Last week I had to fully reset my phone (lumia 830) for the first time since I started using the windows os on a phone( the lg e700 bargain alert on expansys a few years ago).
    Didnt mind too much as the 830 is sort of mid specs but my wife is having some of the troubles on her 930 that i was having on mine, space bar not working in keyboard, apps randomly closing/not opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

wilser wrote: »
    Didnt mind too much as the 830 is sort of mid specs but my wife is having some of the troubles on her 930 that i was having on mine, space bar not working in keyboard, apps randomly closing/not opening.

I was having Keyboard trouble with win10mobile on my 950.

It turns out the phone has to be orientated vertically, then the keyboard works okay. Even at a slight angel I'd get keys not working.

Because win10miobile is such a mess I assume its the OS and not a faulty phone.

• Advertisement

The keyboard one is funny cos every other key would work fine except the space bar, but once the phone was switched off and on again the space bar would work ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I miss an OS that wasnt bug ridden and barely useable.

Win 10 mobile is just an ongoing beta test.

+1 this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Gotta love people giving out about using an OS through an insiders preview app, essentially being alpha/beta testers for it.

Obviously it's not gonna be fully functional, that's the whole point of the insider program.
    What ring are people on out of curiousity that are saying it's bug ridden? I'm on the fast ring and it's very useable, in fact it functions perfectly.

The only people who can actually gripe about that are 950 users imo

Its been released on retail Phones for sale. I think any excuse that its till beta is void.

I'm on 164. http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile-build-164-identical-122

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Gentle[insert appropriate identifier], we're getting away from the idea of the thread. There's a full windows 10 for Phones over here where we can bash it: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/99277233

Back on topic, this is actually something I miss from windows 10, the VPN button is missing in my action centre and I can't see how to add it back on. It was definitely there when using my lumia 540. Perhaps it's the screen size and the developers felt it best to keep the camera icon rather than the vpn icon despite the phone having a camera button.

• Advertisement

Don't like how the moved favourites a level down in edge.

Photo albums now have pseudo album collections to mimic real folders which are now two levels away. Completely pointless and confusing.

No icons on bookmarks pinned to start. Bug?

Can't pin photo folders to start.

Data sense doesn't seem to work at least for prepaid.

Don't think I can pin the battery thingy to start. To show %.

Steps counter doesn't display unless I turn on location. Bug?

Reminders intervals are not useful. Default to 12 for no reason.

On an interface where everything is square don't like that contacts are now round icons. Visually jarring.

Working timer at long last. Finally! Edge so much better but still not as good as Safari or chrome. I struggled to get replies on boards working.

Getting into WiFi setting on my phone at least is a little inconsistent, the long press etc.

Weather tile shows less days. It's not as clear as the old app. Style over function.

10 though is vastly better than 8 though.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Getting into WiFi setting on my phone at least is a little inconsistent, the long press etc.

Thanks for this, never knew long press brought you into the wifi menu

]
    , the VPN button is missing in my action centre and I can't see how to add it back on..

Its there for me, have no idea what it does but its defo there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ditto
    Its there for me, have no idea what it does but its defo there.

ditto

this is a great thread. I'm finding out about stuff i didn't know existed in 8 and 10!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Brilliant! Me too, and it is a regular enough task that you'd do.

I was just thinking about such matters this morning as I navigated my commute using the wonderful Windows 10 Maps app, that we go through our new tech gadgets and apps stumbling our way into using them.

Thanks for this tip!

Missing the OCR scanning on text from the search button in 8.1. Perhaps there's a lens that has replaced this in 10?

Don't think I can pin the battery thingy to start. To show %.

BTW I use "Battery" by Arthur Semenov. It allows me to put a dynamic tile on the start that changes colour based on battery state and gives me a %. It also allows me to see charging rate to see if a charger/cable is giving full juice. (this bit is a bit flaky). Also shortcut tiles for torch, stop music, bluetooth etc, that can have a custom colour. Which is kinda handy.

I find WP10 on my 640 a bit flaky/picky when it comes to charging. It says some chargers are too slow when 8.1 doesn't complain. Also its doesn't give the warning all the time. So it might be just my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Missing the OCR scanning on text from the search button in 8.1. Perhaps there's a lens that has replaced this in 10?

never used scan from the search button in 8.1, but if I follow you correctly, I've always used office lens for scanning - to word and to pdf, saved to onedrive and onenote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

That's a good one actually, used to be able to natively work with QR Codes via the search using the camera. Now I think the only way to do it is via third party apps.

ablelocks wrote: »
    never used scan from the search button in 8.1, but if I follow you correctly, I've always used office lens for scanning - to word and to pdf, saved to onedrive and onenote

Ok tried that, doesn't seem to do OCR regardless of mode. Also seem to insist on connecting to Onedrive. Which I find annoying. If I have no data connection or wifi, that functionality that shouldn't need to connect to the web, doesn't work unless you do.

This is how it used to work
    http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/19270_How_to_Scan_and_OCR_text_on_yo.php

• Advertisement

That's a good one actually, used to be able to natively work with QR Codes via the search using the camera. Now I think the only way to do it is via third party apps.

Was handy for lots of things like scanning a complicated SSID from the bottom of a router and pasting it into the wifi settings.

Advertisement