Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC radio advertisement

Options
  • 04-04-2016 8:15am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I noticed that HKC radio adds are attempting to get potential customers to avoid alarm systems that do not provide "early warning" perimeter protection.

Presumably HKC are of the opinion that educating the customer as to the weaknesses of alarm systems that do not have perimeter protection will work for them.

It also gives an indication of who HKC see as their largest competitor (quite predictable).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

As we know, perimeter protection is the correct way to install an alarm and of course it's in their interest to promote this as each window/door sensor is the equivalent cost to a motion detector. They're making a fortune on the wireless shock/contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Even though HKCs " competitor " uses HKCs bellboxes and heartbeat modules. ;)

They need a TV / internet add now. I've only ever heard the radio one twice.

Perimeter protection is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Even though HKCs " competitor " uses HKCs bellboxes and heartbeat modules. ;)

They need a TV / internet add now. I've only ever heard the radio one twice.

Perimeter protection is the way to go.

They don't use their boxes anymore.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes, they are doing us all a little favor educating the public in the benefits of perimeter protection. There is a lot of speculation about the industry though as to why a manufacturer is aiming their marketing to the end user.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

KoolKid wrote: »
    There is a lot of speculation about the industry though as to why a manufacturer is aiming their marketing to the end user.

I think that this is because large numbers of end users are selecting systems that have no perimeter protection without understanding the consequences of this decision. Many mistakingly believe that gimmicks such as cameras built into PIRs can replace the security advantages of having perimeter protection. Any alarm installer already knows this, the general public don't.

Let's not forget the end user has the final say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

They don't use their boxes anymore.

Whos are they using ? Looks like HKCs base and lid.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

2011 wrote: »

Let's not forget the end user has the final say.

I agree entirely. Unfortunately the end user is usually only getting the information the installer wants to give them based on the system they want the customer to use.
    There are numerous companies pushing these trap systems.
    The best advice, as always, to the end user is shop around and always ask for a professional survey first.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Unfortunately the end user is usually only getting the information the installer wants to give them based on the system they want the customer to use.

+1000

Surely this just strengthens the "educate the end user" argument ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Perimeter protection is that just window sensors they are talking about ?!

Perimeter protection is that just window sensors they are talking about ?!

Combined protection with sensors and contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Well I have no issues whatsoever with HKC doing that. It is the same thing we do here, trying to get it into peoples heads that it is the best system because it detects the guy before he breaks in and you can move around completely within your home with the system fully set around you.

I suppose no need to go there about the difference in monitoring charges :D

kub wrote: »

I suppose no need to go there about the difference in monitoring charges :D

If the perimeter system makes no sense to someone you would think cheaper monitoring would.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

If the perimeter system makes no sense to someone you would think cheaper monitoring would.

But those that choose not to make an informed decision, will end up with a system that does not have perimeter protection. Will end up with a system that they can't move around their house in their undies, or even move around at all for that matter.
    Then wonder how come they are paying so much for monitoring and that no one else can monitor or work on their system?
    Then of course, there is the little issue of having to retain monitoring as chances are all is outside on the wall is a plastic box that does not make noise when their system activates.

kub wrote: »
    But those that choose not to make an informed decision, will end up with a system that does not have perimeter protection

The problem is that people do not intentionally select a system that has no perimeter protection. Generally they do not even know what it is or what the advantages of it are. As has been suggested above by KoolKid, people generally select the system recommend to them by the alarm installer they deal with. So from their perspective they are making an "informed decision".

The reason that I started this thread was because HKC are using a new tactic:
    HKC have decided to "Educate the public" by highlighting the drawbacks of not having perimeter protection. This is quite a smart move IMHO. Unlike others I find it unsuprising that HKC are attempting to educate the general public and not the installers (as they know this already).

Shopping around (as suggested above) is only the answer if the end user compares like with like, to do this they require a level of "education".

I don't want to get into the HKC v Siemens argument again, as this has been done to death. Furthermore this is not relevant to this thread because both systems provide perimeter protection.

This is not about brand at all. Although I would say HKCs aim it to get the public to associate them with perimeter protection. In the same way as many think PW are the only monitoring station in the country.
    As I said there are quite a few company's pushing basic cheaply priced PiR systems.
    Some of these are Installing Risco, some HKC, Some PW ,Some Siemens and some Visonic.
    Its also important to point out that PW are also not the only ones that have the panels & devices locked down to themselves.

This is not about brand at all.

Exactly :)

Although I would say HKCs aim it to get the public to associate them with perimeter protection.

...and Coca-Cola's aim is to get the public to associate having a Coke with having a good time!

A company promoting itself is nothing new or unique to HKC, it is all part of their marketing / advertising strategy. What else would you expect?

Regardless of the motives of HKC they are making a reasonable argument in layman's terms for buying an alarms with perimeter protection rather than alarms that lack this feature. Obviously the logic of this argument can be applied to many other makes of alarm system.

I wouldn't be expecting anything else.Just expressing opinion on it.
    There is a very strong opinion in the industry as to where all this is leading, but its probably not suitable for debate here at this time.

There is a very strong opinion in the industry as to where all this is leading, but its probably not suitable for debate here at this time.

About time.
    It's like comparing apples and oranges in my opinion.

Advertisement