Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bindweed

Options
  • 04-04-2016 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Notticed over the weekend that this bugger is shooting, preparing to gallop all over the place with the right conditions.
    Any suggestions for an effective herbicide? Japanese knotweed is easier to deal with than this goddamned tyrant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Notticed over the weekend that this bugger is shooting, preparing to gallop all over the place with the right conditions.
    Any suggestions for an effective herbicide? Japanese knotweed is easier to deal with than this goddamned tyrant.

I had a serious problem with this in my small London garden with it coming at me from all 3 sides.

I found the best method to deal with it is Roundup, as you know that kills the roots too.

But the method of application was that I grew the bindweed up canes and then lovingly painted roundup onto the leaves (wearing rubber gloves) taking great care with bit of newspaper to cover nearby wanted plants while I did this.

I then enjoyed a cup of tea as over a week or so I watched it dry up and blow away :D. in general it didn't need a second application but sometimes it did. I always did this in dry weather and when the forecast was good for a few days to allow the roundup to be absorbed.

I still had to deal with it coming in from the 2 neighbour's and the traintrack rear, it was rampant, but the canes were always at the ready and it was managed effectively.

I do love telling this story ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

or if you dont want to use poison you can inject vinager into the roots. pull it back as far as you can to expose roots then pour boiling water on it and inject with vinager. the boiling water makes it suck the cold vinager further into the plant

Advertisement