Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recovery post hernia op

• 04-04-2016 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Well here goes -- male age 51. last weight 14 stone ,height 5-11.
    had a hernia repair done 24-02-16 so now approaching 5 weeks post op .

Prior to hernia of late i had to curtail cycling and walking to much as it was getting to painfull.

Could cycle at most 40 km or walk 5-8 absolute max and most i could manage was once or twice a week .
    I work as a HCA supporting older persons so part of work can be sat down fair bit as their not particularly active and walks are at slow pace.

My goal now is to get back into the cycling as much as i can between work and family life.
    Do 12 hour shifts with 2 wk blocks of nights n day days on rotating basis.9-9 both sets.
    So when on nights easier to get out for walks n cycles.as nights are only semi waking nights.

My real bonus would be to do The NIRE VALLEY DROP again this year in October.

I have walked more in the last month than for a long time(65 km) on average alternate days and usually 7-8 km at a reasonable pace , as i won't go out on my bike till i've seen the consultant on tues.

so typical day
    3 glasses of water, walk dogs 20 mins
    feed chickens ,walk around garden/field.

Porridge ,banana,nat yogurt. mug of tea

sit and read e mails etc for 1/2 hour
    walk if dry for 1-1/12 hours prob about 7-8 km now
    drink pint water after

Omellette or home made soup for lunch (veg,squash,carrot,sweet potatoe,celery)
    mug of tea
    Now after 5 wks post op do bit of light digging in garden etc

dinner
    Meat ,veg ,potatoes or home made chips.
    mug of tea.

evening
    2 mugs of tea.

This seems to have kept me at an even keel and i feel good now.

Looking forward to getting out on the bike again now as weather improves and lighter evenings too.

I use the my fitness pal app on my phone to track walks n rides and have done for a while now so can look back over last few years too to compare.

Looking for advice n encouragement.

N if anybody around New ROSS,Thomastown area n would like to join me on walks rides to help each other give me a shout .

Advertisement