Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New 30kw. Motorway -poor performance

• 04-04-2016 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭

Well first commute day , 130km round trip , maximum spied 105 kmph
    Heat and AC on low

Returned with 12% on the battery aND GOU of 20km

That's well below expectations

I'm a bit disappointed really , my wife would not feel comfortable doing that and running the car that low

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Ps for those of you considering the SCP in Gorey , ( as it's the closest to the town. ) be aware that the council have a daft policy of allowing the entry barrier to lock closer when the car park is full, preventing you accessing two clearly available charge points

And you way 2 euros for the priviledge.

BoatMad wrote: »
    Heat and AC on low

I'm a bit disappointed really , my wife would not feel comfortable doing that and running the car that low

That's not below expectations at all, I said I could do around 110 kms in the 24 Kwh Leaf and need to be close to a charge point at that speed this time of year, many, many times, so with 12% left in the 30 Kwh you'd have about 140-150 kms range with a few % to spare, nothing wrong with that at all in the current weather conditions !

I'd say the GOM is pretty accurate if it's predicting 20 kms extra.

Your Wife needs to get familiar and comfortable with the car and to know that topping up on the run is always better if she can, even a 5 min QC can make a big difference.

Anyway I thought she could plug in at work with the Granny cable so what's the issue ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You got 130km with 20km "left". What was you expectation of the 30kWh LEAF for that trip?
    Isnt it rated around 150km's and obviously dependent on your driving style and speed?

I would also presume that motorway driving at a constant 105km/hr is going to give you the lower end of the rated range since there is little or no regen.

So, what were your expectations for that trip?

I would have expected to get about 170 km , giving me about 45 km

This was very careful driving at quite a low speed

We shall see, yes she can charge but as they haven't worked out what to charge ( the have installed a meter ) so day time work charging could be very expensive

Perhaps I expected more. It has exceeded expectations on the back roads

KCross wrote: »
    You got 130km with 20km "left". What was you expectation of the 30kWh LEAF for that trip?
    Isnt it rated around 150km's and obviously dependent on your driving style and speed?

I would also presume that motorway driving at a constant 105km/hr is going to give you the lower end of the rated range since there is little or no regen.

So, what were your expectations for that trip?

It's rated for about 170 kms by the EPA but this is 20 deg C driving afaik. And it's achievable, though I think the EPA test also includes some urban driving at 60 kph.

150 kms this time of year is about 40 kms more than I can get, not a lot true but it's expected for an extra 6 kwh and better than the 24 kwh and the 30 Kwh charges a lot faster on the DC.

• Advertisement

I would have expected to get about 170 km , giving me about 45 km

This was very careful driving at quite a low speed

We shall see, yes she can charge but as they haven't worked out what to charge ( the have installed a meter ) so day time work charging could be very expensive

Perhaps I expected more. It has exceeded expectations on the back roads

105 kph isn't quiet a low speed.

If they charged her the going day rate I wouldn't care less but in reality I would charge for 5 mins on the way home while it's free, the car has the range anyway so getting home with 12% isn't a huge deal.

If they charged her the going day rate I wouldn't care less but in reality I would charge for 5 mins on the way home while it's free, the car has the range anyway so getting home with 12% isn't a huge deal.

Oh well , to me having worked in Germany anything below 220 kmph is low haha

105 is in reality very slow for a modern car well capable of 140-150 safely on a modern motorway.

I can appreciate however that from the viewpoint of a bicycle , 100 kmph is like rocket speed :D:D ( sorry couldnt resist)

I'm reminded of the comment when railways were introduced !!!!!

Well. I'm hoping they don't ( reselling electricity unless you are so approved , is against esb terms)

But it would change the economies significantly to pay day rates.

She is happier then me actually , I'm the engineer , I want the thing to " over perform " that's how most designer work. !! ( or course that's before the marketing men get at it )

You would be a nuisance on the motorway at that speed.

Heat and AC on low

105 kph max? No overtaking? Would you wife have heat on low if she was alone in the car? I know mine wouldn't :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I'm reminded of the comment when railways were introduced !!!!!

Sorry, how old are you? 😜😝

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Sorry, how old are you? 😜😝

the great thing about mankind over say , dogs , is that we keep records!!!:P

105 kph max? No overtaking? Would you wife have heat on low if she was alone in the car? I know mine wouldn't :mad:

Actually , I drive my pickup at 100 kpmh everywhere on motorways , its optimised for that fuel point.

the wife drives faster then me, with heated seat on , AC on

actually Ive noticed the battery is performing better , today after a few fast charges

( its very fast on the fast chargers )

I notice a lot of people travelling at 100 kmph these days too.

This is my driving to and from work at 100-110 kph the other day and 110-120 with some 130 kph stints, consuming 26.3 kwh, so as people can see I don't drive at 105 kph on the motorway.

This would leave me with 2 Kwh Remaining in the 30 Kwh, I'd be at or just above very low battery warning in or around 8-10%, I can't remember when VLB warning comes on in the 24 Kwh.

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-04%20at%2018.42.46.png

OK , thats useful .I just have a lot at my energy per 100 KM

is that from carwings , the nissnaconnect one isn't very good

382271.png

with would suggest quite good 100km figures

this included a 120 -140kmph win home today on the M11 for about 30 km ( but I dont think their are yet in todays figures

0.17 Kwh/km , haven't calculated that way before,

Let me see if my maths are correct, divide 0.17 into 28 Kwh (usable battery capacity) = 164.70 Kms ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭Fastpud

I got 136km from 92% of the battery @ 100kmh motorway driving so I guess the max is 147km
    Any tests with speeds greater than 100kmh seriously impacts on the range.

Well then take advantage of that fast charging , It's not all about sheer range, anyway you can trade in 2 years when the 60 Kwh is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sgalvin

In line with ICE figures as you would expect for 100km at motorway use.

6 l of Diesel @10.7 kWh / litre is 64.2 kWh
    At 30% mechanical efficiency this is ~19 kWh/100km

7.5l of petrol @ 9.7 kWh/litre is 73 kWh
    At 25% efficiency is ~19kwh/100km

With all of our cars my wife has always used more fuel but didn't seem to drive that fast.
    Grand scenic diesel auto:me 6 l/100km, wife 7.5

I was following her home one night and all I saw was a light show of brake lights from the back of my Fluence, me in a petrol car managed the same roads with little to no brakes or any regen.

Different people are good at different things!

I ran my down literally to the last km last week and just came to the conclusion if it goes flat I'll call the AA and walk the last 2 km home!!

In normal use you should be able to manage with just the accelerator, if the brake pedal is being used there's room for improvement!

Best of luck

0.17 Kwh/km , haven't calculated that way before,

Let me see if my maths are correct, divide 0.17 into 28 Kwh (usable battery capacity) = 164.70 Kms ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Oh well , to me having worked in Germany anything below 220 kmph is low haha

105 is in reality very slow for a modern car well capable of 140-150 safely on a modern motorway.

Safely maybe, but not efficiently. I can get a consistent 55 MPG (5.1 l/100km) in my '02 Peugeot 406 2.0 diesel if I stick to 100 km/h on motorways. Any faster than that and fuel consumption goes down significantly. 6-speed gearboxes may not be as bad at higher speeds.

Trucks and buses legally should be limited to 90 km/h (many trucks are limited to 80 for fuel economy), so any claims that 100 km/h is a "nuisance" on motorways is pretty ridiculous assuming good lane etiquette.

• Advertisement

Well will cover 400km today. Gorey , Dublin , mullingar , Athlone , kilbeggan tullamore , Kilkenny , Waterford.

So far Athlone with a single FCP in Lucan , fast charging Athlone

30 mins here in Athlone to do stuff and then back to the road

Advertisement