Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottle Storage

Options
  • 04-04-2016 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've been looking for better ways to store my finished brews for conditioning, ageing and storage. 20 x 500ml stackable plastic crates would be absolutely perfect as my process is set for either 20 or 40 bottle batches.

Only problem is that these crates are like hens teeth, I can't find them for love nor money. I've asked all my local offies and supermarkets and nada. Postage from the UK too is miles too high and I can't find any Irish company that will sell them at a reasonable price.

I'm going to look into building wooden crates too but it's an awful lot of effort and it won't exactly be cheap either!

Any advice or information for me? Don't say kegging because it isn't an option for me right now :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Only problem is that these crates are like hens teeth, I can't find them for love nor money. I've asked all my local offies and supermarkets and nada.
    Surprised to hear this. Lots of German beers come in great plastic crates that AFAIK aren't returnable so offies throw them out. That's how I got mine, which are Paulaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Jever, Unertl, Früh, Löwenbräu and a few others. Do the offies you checked stock much German beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

BeerNut wrote: »
    Surprised to hear this. Lots of German beers come in great plastic crates that AFAIK aren't returnable so offies throw them out. That's how I got mine, which are Paulaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Jever, Unertl, Früh, Löwenbräu and a few others. Do the offies you checked stock much German beer?

One of them definitely does tonnes of German beers but he mentioned they use them for storage themselves unfortunately. The supermarkets have a lot of German beers but they told me they had nothing either. I'll have to keep trying although I'm almost out of Kilkenny off licenses to try!

One of them definitely does tonnes of German beers but he mentioned they use them for storage themselves unfortunately.
    Frustrating but understandable. I'm sure supermarkets have an efficient waste-management system that means they wouldn't have crates lying around for disposal.

As well as the independent offies, the small ads and freecycling sites would also be worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭neoanto

You can always make some wooden crates yourself.
    i made some. Not too much work involved.

neoanto wrote: »
    You can always make some wooden crates yourself.
    i made some. Not too much work involved.

How much did the lumber end up costing you? I'd be looking to make 5-6 of these I'd say, possibly more. Are yours stackable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭neoanto

yea i made stackable ones.
    hmm i think it was about €13 for two long lengths of about 3"x1".
    I got one crate out of a length of it. I can get 20 bottles in a crate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BeerNut wrote: »

They are returnable but the distributor is a little less diligent at retrieving them than the likes of Diageo/Magner's. The bottles as well carry a deposit on them but they've obviously no hope of getting them back either.

I've found crates all over the place, picked up one at the beach, found one lying beside the River Foyle. Clocked one sitting in a car park near my apartment yesterday which I might go retrieve today. Keep an eye out and you never know when you'll spot one.

irish_goat wrote: »
    They are returnable but the distributor is a little less diligent at retrieving them than the likes of Diageo/Magner's.
    Makes sense. Yeah, I understand the grey pint-bottle 12-crates have a €5 deposit on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭xbox gamer

I use cardboard boxes from work which i can fit about 25 bottles into but they don't seem too dependable but they'll do for now. If you wanted to splash out, i seen these in Ikea. I'm not too sure if they are capable of storing a 500ml bottle. Might be worth investigating

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/storage-organising/storage-boxes-baskets/skogsta-storage-crate-acacia-art-60297951/

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

some crates and plenty of bottles going pretty cheap here http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php/topic,15445.0.html

• Advertisement

blueshed wrote: »
    some crates and plenty of bottles going pretty cheap here http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php/topic,15445.0.html

Sound, I actually agreed to buy all that lot but when I realised they weren't stackable, I left it off. Plaguing off licenses and building my own seem the likeliest options for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Advertisement