Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovation Cost per sq metre

Options
  • 04-04-2016 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi,

Probably asked a hundred times already so apologies if I'm treading familiar ground.

We are looking at renovating a 156sq metre 1920's 4 floor townhouse in Co. Cork, basement cellar, ground floor, first floor and attic conversion. The house would need to be gutted, all stud walls taken down, electrics, plumbing etc. Just trying to gauge the going rate for builders finish per sq metre amongst other things. I have been quoted a rate of €575 per sq metre or €89,700 for 3 star builders finish including plasterboard stud partitions, plasterboard ceiling, 1st and 2nd fix mechanical and electrical. No re flooring is required just refurbishment not included in the €575 cost, quote for this is €7,800. The cost does not include clearing topsoil in the rear garden to make the cellar door more accessible or the clearing and reseeding of the 1/4 acre garden which is overgrown, quoted €1,750.

The quote for a box extension 4 x 4 sq metres came to €40,000 and replacement of 11 windows (3 of which are sealed with concrete) , front door (with glazing either side) and back door. 11 uPVC windows @ €800 each, reopening 3 sealed windows €3,900, ornate front door €2,600 and a uPVC rear door @ €1260.

Just looking for a little steer as the quoted prices were above what we were expecting. Any structural tidying up is not included in the above prices.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Nononolan wrote: »
    Hi,

Probably asked a hundred times already so apologies if I'm treading familiar ground.

We are looking at renovating a 156sq metre 1920's 4 floor townhouse in Co. Cork, basement cellar, ground floor, first floor and attic conversion. The house would need to be gutted, all stud walls taken down, electrics, plumbing etc. Just trying to gauge the going rate for builders finish per sq metre amongst other things. I have been quoted a rate of €575 per sq metre or €89,700 for 3 star builders finish including plasterboard stud partitions, plasterboard ceiling, 1st and 2nd fix mechanical and electrical. No re flooring is required just refurbishment not included in the €575 cost, quote for this is €7,800. The cost does not include clearing topsoil in the rear garden to make the cellar door more accessible or the clearing and reseeding of the 1/4 acre garden which is overgrown, quoted €1,750.

The quote for a box extension 4 x 4 sq metres came to €40,000 and replacement of 11 windows (3 of which are sealed with concrete) , front door (with glazing either side) and back door. 11 uPVC windows @ €800 each, reopening 3 sealed windows €3,900, ornate front door €2,600 and a uPVC rear door @ €1260.

Just looking for a little steer as the quoted prices were above what we were expecting. Any structural tidying up is not included in the above prices.

Thanks

There is so much of this post that goes to show how ridiculous the idea of budgeting or building on a cost per m2 is. Its akin to asking how much is a car without specifying a car.

(1) The going rate in your locality is dictated by the local market, not by a cost per m2
    (2) The specific building (particularly on a refurb) will dictate the majority of cost due to tie in, structure, finish details etc. None of which can be costed in an average m2 fashion.
    (3) if you have a quote from a builder and its above your budget, go get another quote. Looking for a steer on a cost per m2 is not going to get anyone to actually build it for you at that price. The market dictates the cost, like all things. There is a huge difference between someone telling you it can be built for X and actually getting anyone to do it. If it was that straight forward every builder would be the same price and no one would need to tender.
    (4) no different than hotels, one persons 3 star will be different to another's. You need to specify what you want a builder to price and don't get sucked in by a glossy phrase that makes it sound like something its not.
    (5) there are so many included's, not included's that it would be impossible to have a like with like.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but the reality is you need to take control of your process, dictate the terms you want priced and send it back out to get a local like with like comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Nononolan

Sorry K Kelleher, and no offence taken. Sq foot/metre is a nice broad metric and I can understand your point.

I have already arranged for another builder to go to site and draw up costings but thought I would draw on people's experience on here to get a better picture.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Nononolan wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks
    the extension seems a little high, but does that include steel or drainage or large glazing or access issues?
    Windows are anyones guess

the rates are, conservative, as you won't know until it's all paired back.

You need to get a builder to price a well prepared 'scope of work' (spec/ list)
    I'd recommend an arch &/or Qs along with a minimum of 20% contingency

Good Builders are busy in Cork, especially around the city/suburbs

I know I under estimated the cost of my own Renovation, especially the time/labour and incidentals (think €100 X 5 times, that seemed to be required every week!)

Advertisement