Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you uninvent about modern games?

Options
  • 04-04-2016 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Thought I'd start a boards thread by robbing an idea from an Eurogamer article over the weekend:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-03-what-would-you-uninvent-about-modern-games
    The world of games is filled with wonderful inventions, but what would you choose to uninvent?

I would un-invent games broken on release and an over reliance on collectibles to pad out games.

I finished everything in Arkham Knight except for the Riddler trophies
    and by extension capturing Riddler
    and doubt I ever will. I collected about 40 of the 243 I think. To collect the rest would be incredibly monotonous, I'd much rather spend that time playing the more interesting bits of another game on my backlog mountain. Back when I was a child I loved things like that to get more out of a game, but with more disposable income now we can afford to ignore these things.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

QTE's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Treating players like they are special little snowflakes and everyone is a winner.

In Mario 3D World on Wii U if you die like 4 times it basically gives you "invincible mode" so you can finish the level,

F**k right off you molly coddled f**ks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Open world being a panacea for game design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

DLC

Just release all the f*cking game and stop charging for content that should have been playable in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

DLC

Just release all the f*cking game and stop charging for content that should have been playable in the first place!

There was an interesting view in the comments section of that article that a good thing would be to remove online connectivity from consoles.

Although it would remove the possibility of digital games and online gaming it would solve the DLC and games being broken on launch issues. A game would need to be fully finished before release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

DLC removed and Expansions brought back in. Looking at how great Blizzard did it and still does.

"Learn how to play game" intro levels. Really hate those and makes me feel like their wasting my time before letting me play actual game. Make games, which make me learn while I play it. Its old video, but ego raptor nailed it: Teach player through its level design.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Can I have two?
    • The entire concept of F2P or micro-transactions.
    • DLC or season passes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yearly releases. You can't build a good game in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

MMOs, or at the very least what they've done to non-MMO games. The way so many people take healer/tank/dps for granted as the obvious and only way to handle characters. Any sort of grinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Teamspeak, or basically being able to talk to other players automatically.

You jump into a session of GTA online and all I seem to hear are 12 year olds hurling racial abuse at each other in an attempt to appear 'adult'

Annoying little ****tards.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pointless collectibles in pretty much every game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Cover based shooters (ala locking to a cover ala Tom Clancy, ME2 etc.); if you want to use a cover it should be free style instead of some magic lock on cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

open world checklist design aka "ubisoft game"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

DLC

...some DLC
    alright, most

But the DLC for Witcher 3 for example is very good and would easily stand on its own as expansion pack back in the day. Likewise I loved the DLC in Fallout New Vegas.

But yeah, I agree most DLC is not great at all and clearly just content they probably could have put into the main game anyway.
    The Fallout 4 DLC is springing to mind, I am hoping the second one will make me not regret getting the season pass.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Pointless collectibles in pretty much every game.

This is something I liked in The Division. There were collectables, but you actually got something out of it, a phone call, audio log or photo that gave you some background on the world. I was actually motivated to collect some of them. I wish more games would take that approach if they must do collectables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

There was an interesting view in the comments section of that article that a good thing would be to remove online connectivity from consoles.

Although it would remove the possibility of digital games and online gaming it would solve the DLC and games being broken on launch issues. A game would need to be fully finished before release.

No, games would be released unfinished and that'd be it. Bugs would never be fixed, any new ideas wouldn't be able to be implemented. Content would be released as a separate disc expansion pack.

Imagine Skyrim if the day one version of the game was the only one you'd ever get to play

No, games would be released unfinished and that'd be it. Bugs would never be fixed, any new ideas wouldn't be able to be implemented. Content would be released as a separate disc expansion pack.

Imagine Skyrim if the day one version of the game was the only one you'd ever get to play

Are you fairly young? Because this is not how it used to work. Prior to patches, games on consoles were generally released fully finished, well polished and without game-breaking bugs. There would have been exceptions, but their sales just tanked and were a harsh lesson to publishers. These days the stuff they get away with would make your eyes water.

PC always had issues, because it was always possible to pop a patch on a disk and distribute it with a magazine or whatever, but even then it was nothing like it is today.

Yeah, I have no doubt if we reverted to that initially some games would be shipped unfinished but the market would resolve that as those games would tank in sales and the developer would be forced to up their game.

Would probably cause less games to be released but with higher quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Would probably cause less games to be released but with higher quality.

No bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd get rid of auto healing like in Uncharted. Get shot? Hide for a few seconds until you're okay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

DLC removed and Expansions brought back in. Looking at how great Blizzard did it and still does.
    Pretty much this. DLC would and could not disappear. It'd just be collated into a larger scale expansion that would be sold at a later date and at a higher price point than the piecemeal content we expect today.

Personally I'd be in favour of this at least, I like to get invested in additional content rather than dipping in and out of the same release over a couple of months.
    Shiminay wrote: »
    Yearly releases. You can't build a good game in a year.
    Yearly releases are rarely, if ever, built in a year. They're generally worked on by multiple teams either within the same studio or across different studios. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Cormac... wrote: »
    Treating players like they are special little snowflakes and everyone is a winner.

In Mario 3D World on Wii U if you die like 4 times it basically gives you "invincible mode" so you can finish the level,

F**k right off you molly coddled f**ks :pac:

That's optional in Mario 3D World, and it gives players the opportunity to progress if they'e struggling, surely a good thing?

For me, it'd be unnecessary padding. In my mind, I have no issue with a good short game as opposed to a long, boring game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Get rid of FTP/PTW/microtransaction bull****. Its a cancer on the gaming industry.

Dardania wrote: »
    No bad thing

Not at all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

KT10 wrote: »
    Teamspeak, or basically being able to talk to other players automatically.

You jump into a session of GTA online and all I seem to hear are 12 year olds hurling racial abuse at each other in an attempt to appear 'adult'

Annoying little ****tards.

Yeah, this to me is the worst aspect of gaming in general. I can think of no bugs I've encountered, no problem mechanics, or even outright bad games, that have ever been close to the bad experiences I've had with multiplayer games, be that assholes, griefers or hackers.

Hell is other gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,744 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Always online. Must be always online. You're not signed in. You're still not signed in. Cannot connect to network. You must sign in to use this feature. Sign in. Sign the f*ck in. Thou must joineth us in our online world! SIGN IN! SIGN THE F*CK IN!

I just want to play the f*cking games without constantly being asked to be signed in or connected to servers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Are you fairly young? Because this is not how it used to work. Prior to patches, games on consoles were generally released fully finished, well polished and without game-breaking bugs. There would have been exceptions, but their sales just tanked and were a harsh lesson to publishers. These days the stuff they get away with would make your eyes water.

Doesn't even need to be fairly young. I've an Xbox One, having had an original Xbox and 360.

I got Halo5 before Christmas. Wanted to throw it on for a few minutes to try it out.

Turn on Xbox.
    Your Xbox needs a few gig patch before you can install this game. Wait 30 minutes while this is done.
    Install game. What's this install ****e. Games should just play on consoles. Wait another 40 minutes.
    Play game. Your game needs a few gig patch before you can play this game. Feeeeeeck.

After all that the game was average.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

I'd uninvent non split screen games.

I used to play games on the old consoles with 4 players on the same console with each player getting a quarter of a screen or 2 players on split screen.

Now with the most powerful consoles ever and more megapixels on my TV than I can shake a stick at I can only play 1 player to a box on games like Halo 5 or Need For Speed 6000. I remember the old Burnout games. We had some great times with that games with a few people over and a few beers. Now you can sit looking at me play for a few minutes before it's your turn. NOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Be HONEST with the gamer and not dumb a game down as stealthily you can: The Sims is a case in point here. Sims 3 started out as a funny spicey game to immerse in. Then by degrees, EA dumbed it down so that...
    you could'nt have kids by The Grim Reaper. And in Sims 4 you can't have swimming pools....because in the Sims 3, players were using swimming pool in testing to see how long their sims would last against each other. And there are no toddlers in Sims 4. Do I buy the official explanation that toddlers were too complex to code...?.....?....really?

• Advertisement

• Partially removing control from the player during game-play to forcefully get the player to notice something without it happening naturally

Oh good thread OP btw

Advertisement