Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start sailing?

Options
  • 04-04-2016 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi all, sorry if this has been asked loads of times before but I can't find the info I'm looking for.

I've experience on boats (RYA Powerboat and have 2 power boats) and water (surfing, diving etc) and want to learn sailing. I'm from Newbridge but don't mind having to travel a bit. I bought an old Laser with the plan to get the permit for Blessington and teach myself and then teach my daughter. Tried a few times to contact the person responsible for permits for the lake but couldn't find them.
    I then tried Blessington sailing club but they want €600 registration plus the €336 for the family membership. That's a bit more than I'm willing to commit because there's a good chance my daughter will get dumped in the water and never want to try sailing again.
    Tried Sailing In Dublin but they don't cater for kids.
    Another problem is I work most weekends so was hoping for mid week or evening child friendly sailing. Starting to think I shouldn't have bought my own boat, if I knew sailing clubs let you use theirs it would of saved me a few quid! I had assumed the boats were all privately owned by members.

Thanks for any info you can give.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Take it up to Dun Laoghaire some nice Saturday and launch it for free on the slipway and see if your daughter likes it or not. Stay in the harbour for safety and if it works out, Blessington is much less of a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

Thanks Tabnabs...I'd be happy enough going out by myself in Dun Laoghire but was a bit worried if I can't sail it back to the slip. I could swim it easy but don't think the harbour company would be too happy about me swimming around the harbour.

Do you know if there's anywhere to store dinghys in Dun Laoghaire without joining a club. Don't mind paying for storage. I don't have a trailer for the laser and it's a bit of a struggle getting it on and off the roof rack of the jeep by myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There is a public boatyard in DL. There's probably a phone number of who to contact on the signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Try the Hobie Cat centre in Blessington. http://www.hobiecatcentreireland.com/

Give Phillip a shout there, he will do a taste of sailing for you and your daughter, but also offers the Level 2 RYA.

It's Pay as you go, so you won't have to spend large amounts of money, plus he will supply the boats (the small hobies are ideal for kids - no boom and very hard to topple).

He operates from May - September as far as I recall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

hanksy123 wrote: »
    Hi all, sorry if this has been asked loads of times before but I can't find the info I'm looking for.

I've experience on boats (RYA Powerboat and have 2 power boats) and water (surfing, diving etc) and want to learn sailing. I'm from Newbridge but don't mind having to travel a bit. I bought an old Laser with the plan to get the permit for Blessington and teach myself and then teach my daughter. Tried a few times to contact the person responsible for permits for the lake but couldn't find them.
    I then tried Blessington sailing club but they want €600 registration plus the €336 for the family membership. That's a bit more than I'm willing to commit because there's a good chance my daughter will get dumped in the water and never want to try sailing again.
    Tried Sailing In Dublin but they don't cater for kids.
    Another problem is I work most weekends so was hoping for mid week or evening child friendly sailing. Starting to think I shouldn't have bought my own boat, if I knew sailing clubs let you use theirs it would of saved me a few quid! I had assumed the boats were all privately owned by members.

Thanks for any info you can give.
    The Blessington SC entry fee is spread over your first five years. It does not have to be paid when you join. They have Club Toppers, which are easier to sail than the Laser. They have a great junior training program in July.

Advertisement