Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house next door to a primary school.

Options
  • 04-04-2016 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Looking at buying my first home and have come across a house that shares a boundary wall with a primary school.

Wondering is there anyone on here that has experiences of living very close to a school and the associated problems they might encounter, mainly noise and traffic in the morning and afternoon.

The house has come down a huge % in price since it has been on the market, almost a year, and I'm wondering is it's location really the main factor.

Anyone have any experiences?

Thanks.

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Hi all.

Looking at buying my first home and have come across a house that shares a boundary wall with a primary school.

Wondering is there anyone on here that has experiences of living very close to a school and the associated problems they might encounter, mainly noise and traffic in the morning and afternoon.

The house has come down a huge % in price since it has been on the market, almost a year, and I'm wondering is it's location really the main factor.

Thanks.

J.

No experience myself but to be honest there's no way I'd buy a house next to a school, for all the reasons you already suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Hi all.

Thanks.

J.

Every location is different but the only way to see for yourself is to be there for drop off in the morning and pickup in the afternoon and see how bad traffic is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

No experience myself but to be honest there's no way I'd buy a house next to a school, for all the reasons you already suspect.

Depends though. My house backs onto a school, but the entrance is on the otherside of the school facing another estate - So no traffic impact at all.

The only "noise" that we get is a bit of laughter/shouting floating through the air from the yard at break time. Which given we both work is really not a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

A friend of mine lives a few doors down from a primary school.
    On street parking is already difficult at the best of times. But mornings and afternoons are chaos for getting in and out.
    Plus the constant fear of a child running out in front of you from behind double parked cars.

I honestly didn't believe him till I seen it but some parents have the cheek to park IN his own driveway! When confronted they say sure it's only a minute.

Wet days in particular are the worst.

I'd avoid against it.

Not trying to be funny, but you already listed the problems you'll face.

The question really is will they affect you? If you work 9-5 you'll never notice the kids, for example. If you're on the sex offenders list, then chances are you'll be majorly inconvenienced by them being there :pac:

In all seriousness though, Aside from noisy lunch breaks and such, and the traffic at the open and close times, I don't see a real downside. During summer they'll all be off, so you'll have a bit of a break from them, there, too. If it's cheap and cheerful, then why not. Hang around outside the school for a few days with a camera documenting the noisy times and such. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm beside two primary schools. Traffic gridlock for ~30 mins in the morning - not as bad in the afternoon as they have different times for junior and higher classes and that splits the load a bit. Illegal parking everywhere at both ends of the day, council dare not enforce it or it'll be over the papers as a scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

There's a school at the end of my road & to be honest it is a pain when the kids are getting dropped off/picked up. Parents parking all over the place (sometimes just in the middle of the road!). The hours I work though mean I'm gone before the worst usually in the morning & home after the afternoon bit - only time it ever really affects me is days off & when I work from home. To be honest, I just work around it on those days as it doesn't affect me that much.

I do think it'd be worth maybe trying to pop out at the busy times & see what it's like at the house you're looking at but I wouldn't ever rule it out solely on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

Grew up on a road with 3 secondary schools. Rubbish in the garden was the main issue!!
    If you ever have kids in primary school it could potentially be really handy! You need to think about if you will be coming & going from the house at the school drop off and pick up times. If you will, you need to decide if you can put up with the hassle of the traffic, if not the school proximity may not effect you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A friend of mine lives a few doors down from a primary school.
    On street parking is already difficult at the best of times. But mornings and afternoons are chaos for getting in and out.
    Plus the constant fear of a child running out in front of you from behind double parked cars.

I honestly didn't believe him till I seen it but some parents have the cheek to park IN his own driveway! When confronted they say sure it's only a minute.

Wet days in particular are the worst.

I'd avoid against it.

I have that, plus a crèche next door. My solution was to park on the street, wait till somebody pulled in, park in behind them, and head off out for a few hours. I only had to do it once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

my house backs onto a primary school. the only thing that bothers me is traffic in the mornings. the school doesnt have a carpark for parents while they drop their kids off so people just abandon their cars everywhere. i only drive to work 1 morning a week so its only a minor irritation to me at present. if i was driving every day i think it would be a problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

No noise in the evenings and no noise for 2 months of the summer and at other times of the year. I'd love it as long as I was working during the day. If you do night shifts I'd imagine it would be torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm beside two primary schools. Traffic gridlock for ~30 mins in the morning - not as bad in the afternoon as they have different times for junior and higher classes and that splits the load a bit. Illegal parking everywhere at both ends of the day, council dare not enforce it or it'll be over the papers as a scandal.

Also for those two schools separate starting times - 8:30 for one and 8:50 for the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How secure is the school? Is the a graffiti / vandalism / anti-social behaviour problem? Does the school compromise the security of your property?

I work on a street that has a school and there is a litter problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I would advise against buying a house near a school. I live beside a primary school and it is so so busy every morning. I have people parking their car outside driveway and I am unable to get out sometimes!

Then as other people said already kids running out in front of cars etc. Then noise and rubbish.

I suppose it depends how close but I would not recommend it, it's very tiring and frustrating with the traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

In all seriousness though, Aside from noisy lunch breaks and such, and the traffic at the open and close times, I don't see a real downside. During summer they'll all be off, so you'll have a bit of a break from them, there, too. If it's cheap and cheerful, then why not. Hang around outside the school for a few days with a camera documenting the noisy times and such.

Be careful about hanging around outside a school with a camera, might look abit suspicious!😊

Be careful about hanging around outside a school with a camera, might look abit suspicious!😊

T'was merely a bit of a joke :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Right now I live beside two primary schools, one across the road from the other. The noise isn't bad at all, but the traffic is. Twice a day, five days a week, the parents come down with a case of "I'll park wherever the f*ck I like" syndrome. That can be really annoying. So just be prepared for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

L1011 wrote: »

Think we might live in the same area!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I wouldn't bee too worried about noise because they'll only be outside for about 15 mins in the morning and about 30 at lunchtime. There'd be nobody there weekends and during holidays, which is when you'd most likely be out in the garden anyway.

It's the traffic that you'd want to watch. There's a primary school in an estate near me and the roads are narrow enough there anyway. When it's drop off and pick up time the whole estate grinds to a halt - nobody can get in or out of their houses due to parents parking like assholes right across people's driveways. It got so bad that the residents in the estate ended up getting the guards involved because the bin lorry couldn't get down the road to collect the bins. Now they have a 1 way system around the estate and the community garda is up quite regularly enforcing it. It hasn't solved the problem completely, but it is much improved.

Go and see for yourself what the traffic is like during those hours, particularly on a rainy day. I'd suspect that of the house has been on sale a long while, that it might be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I lived across from a primary school before. The sound of school bells still haunts me but the school itself caused no problems. The only concern I would have is the traffic and parking. As has been mentioned there are parents who will have no problem blocking you in or parking in your driveway "for a minute"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Toots wrote: »
    Now they have a 1 way system around the estate
    This can be problematic as it allows people to speed at off-peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

I live directly across the road from a primary school. Its the back entrance though so no issue with traffic. The noise is actually quite nice just laughter and playing at lunch times. We both work during the day so only hear it when we are on annual leave etc. If i were you and you are going to be home during school hours have a drive around 9 and home time and get a feel for the traffic, the noise is not really an issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

T'was merely a bit of a joke :)

Me too!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Victor wrote: »
    This can be problematic as it allows people to speed at off-peak times.

It's only between 8:30 and 9:30 and 1pm to 3pm but the main problem is that there can be some people who just choose to ignore it and go round the wrong way. There isn't enough room for 2 cars to pass, so it causes mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I doubt you can have better neighbours than a school if you work yourself mon-fri during day time

How many days a year are they going to school nowadays? 160?

No noise in the evening, weekends and 2 or 3 months in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Thanks for all the replies so far.

The house has off street parking so that's a plus. We both will be working so I'm not too concerned about afternoon traffic.

I'll pop by and check it out this week. Obviously there will be times we would be there in the morning. Drove by last night and there's double yellow lines everywhere, but I wouldn't expect parents may much attention to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I recently bought a house opposite a school. Traffic is an issue for around 30 mins in the morning and a little longer in the afternoon as the just drop in the morning, no waiting. I do have an issue getting into my driveway as I work shifts and arrive home around 2.30 and more than likely someone is parked across it. I just leave the car down the road a bit and move it later. This may be a huge inconvenience for some but I'm not going to let it bother me too much. My friends suggested putting a no parking sign on my gates as it worked for them but likewise people don't consider 10 minutes as parking so I'm not sure if it would make a difference.
    As for noise, I can hear them on lunch breaks but that doesn't really bother me at all. I'd be awake anyway.
    Just take note, where I was living previously had a school behind it and the used a tanoy and bell system for breaks etc and was quite loud and annoying. Just go and check it out for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It depends on your circumstances, and the school itself.

I live very near a school, a few doors away. I love it, and it suits us, because my children can walk to school. I go to work usually before any traffic. And any days I'm off, I can hear playing and laughing in the school yard... which is a lovely sound.

I grew up across the street from a school. Again, it was great, because we could pop home for lunch some days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

endacl wrote: »
    I have that, plus a crèche next door. My solution was to park on the street, wait till somebody pulled in, park in behind them, and head off out for a few hours. I only had to do it once.

I used to live near a train station and after paid parking was brought into the train station car park I came home from work one day to discover someone had parked their car in my driveway.
    I was not very impressed and so parked behind them and went off for a long long walk.
    When I got back they were outraged that I had the cheek (:rolleyes:) to block them in and head off. No apology or anything.
    They didn't do it again though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I used to live near a train station and after paid parking was brought into the train station car park I came home from work one day to discover someone had parked their car in my driveway.
    I was not very impressed and so parked behind them and went off for a long long walk.
    When I got back they were outraged that I had the cheek (:rolleyes:) to block them in and head off. No apology or anything.
    They didn't do it again though.

That's crazy, I would of gone for the night let alone a long walk.

Advertisement