Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house next door to a primary school.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

jungleman wrote: »
    Think we might live in the same area!

The other two primary schools in the town aren't opposite each other, so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inforfun wrote: »
    INo noise in the evening, weekends and 2 or 3 months in the summer.

Check out the school's policies re community use of the facilities, though: this is true in some places not others.

I lived next to a school for a year, a few years back. I've never called the cops (it was overseas) as many times as I did that year. It might be different here if the grounds are secured after hours - but even so there will be some degree of break-ins and vandalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, never underestimate the ignorance of someone on the school run. Both our estate and the one beside ours used to have shortcut walkways through to the back entrance of the local school.

I say "used to" as both were barriered by the local council after residents complained due to the volume of pig-ignorant parking taking place by parents who didn't want to go around the front.

This is a relatively recent phenomenon - I went to the same school and the shortcuts were open for 20+ years with no traffic issues.

I'd be inclined to say that putting up gates is a must, but counter-intuitively this tends to encourage people to park in front of a property ("sure, the gates are closed, I'll only be a minute"). The only real solution is probably parking your car in front of your own driveway. But this isn't always convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

I live near a primary school and the noise is not an issue - a short time during the day and it's just the happy noise of kids playing.
    Traffic is a bit of a pain for 10 minutes in the morning. The principal in our school is really good however and will often be outside making sure drivers behave to a point, there is also a lollypop lady so people are less inclined to park right at the school. Houses 5 to 10 doors away actually have it worse.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

While you work 9-5 now, what if you are off sick, on holidays or maternity leave, it could get really annoying. Do they have basketball courts/football courts? they could be used out of hours. Wouldnt be for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

pc7 wrote: »
    While you work 9-5 now, what if you are off sick, on holidays or maternity leave, it could get really annoying. Do they have basketball courts/football courts? they could be used out of hours. Wouldnt be for me.

I live next to a primary school and there are normally zero noise issues. The exception is if I happen to work from home or be off sick, then it's noisy before school starts, break time and lunch time, but nothing completely intolerable.

I generally leave home for work before the drop offs happen, but as I live at the back of the school, next to the playground, I'm not really affected by the traffic anyway.

I wouldn't have an issue buying next to a school again, in fact it's been a plus point for me, when I worked away and rented my place out, the school was a big selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm a bit confused..I don't have kids and I grew up in the 80s. Why aren't parents just pulling up beside the school..letting the kids out and driving off?

Do they have to sign the little darlings into the class or something?

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused..I don't have kids and I grew up in the 80s. Why aren't parents just pulling up beside the school..letting the kids out and driving off?

Do they have to sign the little darlings into the class or something?
    That is what they are doing but just imagine potentially hundreds of cars dropping off outside each taking a few moments to do it - it all creates a traffic jam.

I looked at the plans for a new country school recently - the biggest feature was a large one way drop down pick up area taking up a load of space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The road I live on faces the side of a primary school and I have never had any issues. Prefer to have a school there than more houses.

I leave at 8am and home at 6 from work, never notice a thing. My wife doesn't work and is at home during the day and actually likes to hear the kids when they're in the yard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, my place overlooks a school sports ground, that isn't attached to the school. They have rugby practice at 8am Saturday morning. :(

Although I was woken one morning at 5:30am to the sound of someone practising their drop kicks. :mad:
    I used to live near a train station and after paid parking was brought into the train station car park I came home from work one day to discover someone had parked their car in my driveway.
    I was not very impressed and so parked behind them and went off for a long long walk.
    When I got back they were outraged that I had the cheek (:rolleyes:) to block them in and head off. No apology or anything.
    They didn't do it again though.
    Did you charge them the car park rate? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Hang around outside the school for a few days with a camera documenting the noisy times and such. :D

Whatever you do, do not do this. You will get arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Wesser wrote:

Luckily I'd ruled that out! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wesser wrote: »

What for?

Wear a hi-vis, hold a clipboard, and no one will bat an eyelid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Back on topic please

Advertisement