Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External feeder and drinker for chicken coop

• 04-04-2016 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I recently got two gorgeous chickens (a bluebell and a white star).
    They free range for a few hours before dusk and have a pen extension for the rest of the time.

However, I do keep them in their coop (designed for 4 birds but in my opinion is still small) when I need to go out for a few hours.. my neighbours have dogs, so it's for their own good!

I have a generic feeder and drinker but it takes up a good bit of room inside their coop.. I'm on the hunt for a drinker and feeder that I can attach outside the coop so it maximises the space they have whilst literally cooped up!

I can't find a picture to explain what I mean, but hopefully someone on here knows what I'm on about :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Bluebells are so pretty!
    Op, your hens wont lay if put into the dark coop for a few hours each day! Or depending on how much time they are outside/inside it will seriously restrict their laying. Hens need 8 hours/daylight/day to produce eggs.

Hens wont eat if they are in a dark coop, so no point in putting food in there with them. They wont eat in the dark.

Instead of spending money on feeders that wont be used, maybe you could spend the money on making a dog-proof fence around your coop? YOu mentioned a "pen extension" - do you have a fenced in area already? Could you reinforce that to keep them safe from the dogs? Even an "a-frame" area outside their coop (toblerone shaped, lined with chicken wire, if you can visualize that) would be better than popping them into their coop

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

aonb wrote: »
    Bluebells are so pretty!
    Op, your hens wont lay if put into the dark coop for a few hours each day! Or depending on how much time they are outside/inside it will seriously restrict their laying. Hens need 8 hours/daylight/day to produce eggs.

Hens wont eat if they are in a dark coop, so no point in putting food in there with them. They wont eat in the dark.

Instead of spending money on feeders that wont be used, maybe you could spend the money on making a dog-proof fence around your coop? YOu mentioned a "pen extension" - do you have a fenced in area already? Could you reinforce that to keep them safe from the dogs? Even an "a-frame" area outside their coop (toblerone shaped, lined with chicken wire, if you can visualize that) would be better than popping them into their coop

Thanks a mill for taking the time to respond :)
    I worded my post very badly, I should have said their house, they only go into their little coop to nest-sleep/lay! The little house has a run so the coop is fenced in within the house. It's an urban wooden hen house (suitable for 4 hens...but I think for room, only suitable for two!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

something like this???

https://www.maceoinltd.com/poultry-equipment/poultry-chicken-feeders/outdoor-poultry-feeders/the-wise-poultry-feeder-5kg/

Ive made something with a 2 Litre Plastic Milk Carton - cutting out a bit, and tying the handle of it to the wall of a shed with string, and filling it with feed....

Advertisement